I Don't Like To...

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
What I didn't see was a change in discipline. Lots and lots of unnecessary penalties. That's coaching. Don't even get me started on the personal fouls this year. I do not want GT to be a bunch of thugs, and getting silly fouls after big plays against Thug U of all people is ridiculous, and those things cost games. And I want to be proud of the players, win or lose, that they are good men. I hope that Collins' "new culture" contains developing the WHOLE young man.

I watched the whole game and, other than 2 questionable penalties (on the punt where Harvin had a Roughing call negated and the other on the non-flinch on the FG), I don't recall any silly fouls after big plays yesterday.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Were most of the penalties in the first 25 mins of the game because I wasn’t able to watch until almost halftime? I only recall seeing the slight rock back on the FG and Swilling’s hold preventing a TD.

yeah I didn't see any of what @katlong described either. looks like we actually made strides in the right direction yesterday in that area, IMO

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean up until this game we were one of the least penalized team in the ncaa. Both in penalties and yards. So i dont know why on these boards people keep saying we are undisciplined.

Maybe its just a couple that stand out that make it seem that way. But by data we are very very disciplined team when it comes to penalties and for me this has been a bright spot and why I believe some things are going right with coaching

There weren't any of those thuggish penalties in yesterday's game. Not sure what he was talking about.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I watched the whole game and, other than 2 questionable penalties (on the punt where Harvin had a Roughing call negated and the other on the non-flinch on the FG), I don't recall any silly fouls after big plays yesterday.

I couldn't count 5 people behind the line of scrimmage on that roughing the kicker play. Not sure what the refs saw.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean up until this game we were one of the least penalized team in the ncaa. Both in penalties and yards. So i dont know why on these boards people keep saying we are undisciplined.

Maybe its just a couple that stand out that make it seem that way. But by data we are very very disciplined team when it comes to penalties and for me this has been a bright spot and why I believe some things are going right with coaching

People remember those fouls that occur at inopportune times...mainly those that stall drives on offense, extend drives for the opposition, or those that take possible points off the board. If those can be cleaned up, the others are merely mistakes that take place during the course of a game.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Yeah, every last one of those penalties were weak. You can block me continuously after the whistle but i get flagged pushing you off me. Either offsetting penalties or no flag.

Oh and the phantom false start on Chimedza on the FG

Still not sure how this is a illegal formation.
3E76D985-47A8-40DD-AEA3-5C8C38C97C4F.jpeg

Meanwhile, this take down on Curry was a no call
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

Well the good news is that other than Clemson, nobody else in the ACC is very good. Most of our games are winnable if we keep improving.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 7019

The only thing I can think of(and it is being very generous to the official) is that he assumed there were three blockers in front of Harvin and the blocker between the line and the two blockers was supposed to be on the line. If not, then he just simply can't count to 4.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
express long term opinions based on short term observations. So, I have been holding off for a while, preferring to reflect on a larger data sample. I thought about posting this last week, so please don't think that my following comments are based on the single, most recent win.

I am starting to believe in CGC as the right person to run our program. I base that comment on how he has handled himself during the losing streak and the tough times, combined with how hard the kids have played and stuck together despite it all. To be truthful, I wasn't really bought in during the off season hype. That stuff just doesn't resonate with me. Then our season began. You can tell so much more about athletes and coaches (and fans) when things aren't going well. EVERYBODY is great when things are going well. That cannot be said about the opposite. IMHO CGC is doing the only thing he can do under the circumstances, and that is teach kids how to compete in his system, as well as setting standards for effort and behavior etc etc. It is no small task to create an environment where kids that age stick together, despite some very humbling circumstances. Yet we have. Compare that to what you saw from MyHammy yesterday. Additionally, I believe our kids have played harder than our opponents in every FBS contest thus far, all the way to the final snap. We have been better than our opponents in the second half. I know big leads/deficits can affect that dynamic, but it hasn't affected us in the least bit. CGC has taken a lot of pages straight out of the USMC playbook (competition is king with rewards and consequences for every single training event) and I so appreciate that. There is zero doubt in my mind that that stuff works. I would bet the house that CGC has sat down at some point with a person in the Marines and discussed leadership training etc etc in an effort to build the correct culture for his CFB teams.

In no way shape of form do I think we are a good ACC football team at the moment. We are not. With that said, we are an amazing TEAM in a more general sense. If we can be a great TEAM in the current circumstances, imagine what we can become in better ones.

I also do not think that yesterday's game was a turning point. Certainly, it represents something to build on. It was a "gut check" and "fortunate" win where we simply found a way. We may go on to win more games, but I have no illusions in thinking they will be easy or pretty. Literally no result, in any week, moving forward, would surprise me, unless we were to quit on the field. That would surprise me.

Finally, I will say, I don't think we are THAT far off of having a very formidable presence in the ACC. To be truthful, Graham is starting to remind me of frosh Joe Hamilton. Most of the tools look similar, as are the type of mistakes that are being made. Fridge was Lil' Joe's mentor, and by mid-sophomore year, he had him dialed in to the point that he was one of the most feared QBs in the land. We are simply a year's experience (for most position groups, not just QB) and a couple of guys on the interior of each line away from being pretty darned good. I believe the culture has been established and the skill position talent is there to be further cultivated.

Thanks for listening (err, reading).
Wow. I was thinking about writing a post like this but you said exactly what I wanted to but better than I could have. Great post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
People remember those fouls that occur at inopportune times...mainly those that stall drives on offense, extend drives for the opposition, or those that take possible points off the board. If those can be cleaned up, the others are merely mistakes that take place during the course of a game.

I know. Except we were 3 best team in ncaa in penalties through 6 games. So not much going on or to clean up. This is not an undisciplined team. Period. All data proves that. Sick of reading that false narrative.

Currently we are 7 in penalties a game. And 11 in yards a game at only 38

After 7 games and a new scheme thats unreal good

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In my estimation, Swilling had about 30 yards of penalties alone. Each one could have easily been a no call. The false start on the FG didn't happen. When I think of all the crappy luck we have had in Miami, this end result has been a long time coming. That miracle tipped ball landing on the tummy of that Miami receiver a couple years back was a killer. We deserved that win big time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

So you ... agree with me ... right?

I couldn't count 5 people behind the line of scrimmage on that roughing the kicker play. Not sure what the refs saw.

He saw that one dude was slanted slightly more than he wanted, I guess. :rolleyes:

Yeah, every last one of those penalties were weak. You can block me continuously after the whistle but i get flagged pushing you off me. Either offsetting penalties or no flag.

Oh and the phantom false start on Chimedza on the FG

View attachment 7019

Meanwhile, this take down on Curry was a no call
giphy.gif

The video evidence was a nice touch.

Good points.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He saw that one dude was slanted slightly more than he wanted, I guess. :rolleyes:

There was no slanted guy. That guy was one of the 4 behind the line of scrimmage. The center was lined up slightly in front, but all six of the others on the LOS were in a straight line.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There was no slanted guy. That guy was one of the 4 behind the line of scrimmage. The center was lined up slightly in front, but all six of the others on the LOS were in a straight line.
Honestly it looked like we only had 2 on the LOS. I don’t think 18 inches behind the Center’s butt constitutes being on the LOS.