I’d like to make a comment ...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand ESPN’s “glorification” of the Miami Hurricanes “swagger” in several of their televised specials on the ‘Canes’ history of national championships, from the beginning under Coach Howard Schnellenburger (sp.?) to Jimmy Johnson, etc. etc.

What’s so special and wonderful about glorifying and hyping up the ‘Canes’ constant taunting and denigration of other opposing teams that makes it a most desired attribute? Beats me ...

In any case, it definitely sends the wrong impression to our society-at-large, especially to young and impressionable high school football players (not to mention supposedly sane adults, too).

After all, isn’t sports supposed to emphasize sportsmanship?

“Sports do not build character; they reveal it.” — Grantland Rice

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand ESPN’s “glorification” of the Miami Hurricanes “swagger” in several of their televised specials on the ‘Canes’ history of national championships, from the beginning under Coach Howard Schnellenburger (sp.?) to Jimmy Johnson, etc. etc.

What’s so special and wonderful about glorifying and hyping up the ‘Canes’ constant taunting and denigration of other opposing teams that makes it a most desired attribute? Beats me ...

In any case, it definitely sends the wrong impression to our society-at-large, especially to young and impressional high school football players (not to mention supposedly sane adults, too).

After all, isn’t sports supposed to emphasize sportsmanship?

“Sports do not build character; they reveal it.” — Grantland Rice

This is happening all over our society - progressives, especially the media, (in my opinion) would like to de-emphasize objective truth (right vs. wrong). That is why I hope that the coaches are emphasizing the right things and teaching these kids ethics and morals. Some of them never got it in the home, unfortunately.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Couldn't agree more! I no longer watch professional football because the league is FULL of thugs who are learning this behavior in college programs who turn the other way when they misbehave. There might be a few standouts who are NOT thugs, but unfortunately, they are a minority. http://arrestnation.com/2017-stats/

I rewatched the game Sunday. My husband (an Ole Miss grad) noticed that at least 3 of the "come back from commercial" specials were focused on the Canes, while NONE had anything to do with GT. I get that you might think GT is not going to win, but it seems to me that you should prepare something ahead of time on BOTH teams, win or lose if you are covering special sections. The cameras were constantly on MR and his reactions - very little on CPJ or our players. As usual, the hatred of GT is shown in the media bias. Nevertheless, I am so proud of GT - of the athletes to compose themselves after that pregame antagonism from the Canes - and how they conduct themselves in life.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the whole 'swag' thing has been bastardized and distorted beyond the original premise of it.

I think the whole 'Miami swag' thing was originally borne from a group, considered outside college football's blue blood elites, that broke onto the scene who unexpectedly and unapologetically used their talent and unquestioned belief in themselves to win.

They didn't follow conventions and were largely uninvited by college football 'establishment' who, despite their objections, couldn't deny them since they were indeed ultra-talented.

Coming where I come from, I absolutely loved that concept. It's why I was a huge Fab5 fan as a youth.

Just because I don't look like you or come from the same 'stock' that you do, it doesn't mean I'm not worth your time or that I should be passed over. Instead of waiting for you to acknowledge me, I'm gonna make you notice me through achievement. - for me, that was the core of the 'swag' thing.

As time progressed, and unsavory characters latched onto the hype, things went awry. After all, many of the Miami kids came from some pretty bad areas so it was difficult to keep that element out. Some of them were themselves not the greatest characters so it shouldn't be surprising that happened.

Fast forward to today and the toothpaste is completely out of the tube and it's almost completely become a negative thing.

To me, there's no connection between what Miami is now and what they were when this thing started.

Deleted member 2897

That's one big reason I want to make it back to the ACCCG. I want our leadership (CPJ, ToddS, etc.) to focus focus focus on the academic side. Remind large audiences that we play students who are also athletes. We offer like 1/5th the number of majors as most schools, and we don't offer a single Bachelors of Arts degree. List the top 25 STEM focused school and notice who plays P5 sports (pretty much nobody). Replay Calvin Johnson's interview on the sidelines from last week: "Why did you choose Georgia Tech?" "Because I knew if I got a Georgia Tech degree that I could work anywhere I wanted and do anything I want to do - if football didn't work out." Make that contrast over and over and over in all the interviews in front of that national audience.

Enough of the poor sportsmanship that schools all but endorse. I mean Mark Richt said they run to the other end zone and pray every game. That means they run through the other team's band, through the entering home team, and taunt the opposing players EVERY GAME. WTH?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the whole 'swag' thing has been bastardized and distorted beyond the original premise of it.

I think the whole 'Miami swag' thing was originally borne from a group, considered outside college football's blue blood elites, that broke onto the scene who unexpectedly and unapologetically used their talent and unquestioned belief in themselves to win.

They didn't follow conventions and were largely uninvited by college football 'establishment' who, despite their objections, couldn't deny them since they were indeed ultra-talented.

Coming where I come from, I absolutely loved that concept. It's why I was a huge Fab5 fan as a youth.

Just because I don't look like you or come from the same 'stock' that you do, it doesn't mean I'm not worth your time or that I should be passed over. Instead of waiting for you to acknowledge me, I'm gonna make you notice me through achievement. - for me, that was the core of the 'swag' thing.

As time progressed, and unsavory characters latched onto the hype, things went awry. After all, many of the Miami kids came from some pretty bad areas so it was difficult to keep that element out. Some of them were themselves not the greatest characters so it shouldn't be surprising that happened.

Fast forward to today and the toothpaste is completely out of the tube and it's almost completely become a negative thing.

To me, there's no connection between what Miami is now and what they were when this thing started.

You're laying the sarcasm on a little thick ... can't you ever be serious? ;)