Hype and the GT fanbase

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Our season ticket sales always ebb and flow based on the Georgia game being home/away, and then you add in that Clemson's on the same schedule and the effect is only doubled. 2018 was always going to be a down year for season ticket sales, and 2019 was always going to be an up year.

Animal02

Banned
Our season ticket sales always ebb and flow based on the Georgia game being home/away, and then you add in that Clemson's on the same schedule and the effect is only doubled. 2018 was always going to be a down year for season ticket sales, and 2019 was always going to be an up year.
The really need a surcharge on Season Ticket purchase....you get it back in second consexconse year purchase.
..F those mutts.

I’m not a hype guy. Frankly when I got someone trying to hype me up I wondering what they’re covering for. The hype types appeal to some & don’t appeal to others. I guess given my old age, the number of operational organizations I’ve completely fixed/overhauled I’m predisposed to establishing strategy & instituting the building blocks necessary for long term success.

Please list the building blocks that TPR instituted for GT FB's long term success?

IMO, he didn't because he never took recruiting seriously, now we have a guy that has a plan, that wants to market what GT has that's gonna attract great FB players that can graduate, why not give him a shot or at least try to believe in what he's aiming to do

Please tell us what IIWII was covering for, after all everyone's covering something up

mcsoxxnation

Georgia Tech Fan
Best wishes to GT in continuing to build to being an upper echilon college football team. Everyone has opinions on what needs to be done, who needs to be hired, how we need to recruit and all other aspects of getting to that level. I'll root like heck for success but I will also be real in my expectations and try not make knee jerk, uneducated opinions and comments. In trying to recreate some of this excitement I'm reading about, some of CGC's comments/tweets have come across to me as if he's here now to fix a dumpster fire of a program. I feel that coming off an 11 year run where your coach won 83 games, that is a slight to the former coach , his staff, and players. Like CPJ or not, he always did what he thought was best for the GT program and you won't find many folks in the college football world that have bad things to say about his character. Here are a few things we do know:
  • CGC took over a Temple program coming off back to back 10 win seasons and went 7-6 and 8-4 with a couple bad losses this year to inferior talent (FCS Villinova, MAC Buffalo). As has been said, he has to perform with results or all the hype around his hire will mean nothing.
  • As far as the staff he's bringing in, I hope his DC performs better than the effort we saw against Duke in their bowl game. Duke put up 28 on us and we put the ball on the ground 6 times, losing 3 fumbles and turned it over on downs twice more. Duke is our only common opponent so maybe not exactly apples to apples but regardless, both teams played Duke and they smoked the Owl defense.
  • Mind you, our defense didn't play well at times, but CNW was hired after Bowl season last year and only had one year in the flats with players he didn't get to recruit and didn't get any time (1 year) to show what he's capable of. At a non power 5 App St., he got 2-3* athletes who turned into darn good football players. I've saw App St. play in person numerous times in the last few years and they had a half dozen kids who could have started on the GT defense this year, so I'm confident that in short time he would have been able to get the most out of the 3* kids we typically get. Many folks roasted a very good football coach here that didn't get a fair shot.
  • Finally with CGC, he now has the keys to the kingdom as he turned the entire staff and looks to have 100% control over all aspects of the program.
So win and they will be ready to give you the keys to the City. Lose and I'm sure you'll be drug through the mud like CPJ was.

Good luck.....

slugboy

Staff member
Can you imagine the crap hire and idiotic contract that would have ensued? It would certainly have galvanized the fanbase.

He may get his chance at Purdue; teams like ND and possibly NFL teams are coming after Brohm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We actively sent coach Cook out there when he was an active coach, and coach Speed use to actively recruit Hawaii (Tua Tagovailoa was a recruiting target of ours). We got another OL out of CA. We are spending money to send coaches wherever we think we have a good shot (case in point: Groh going to Baltimore/DC areas).

Tua? Fake news. We never previously went after 4-5 star recruits because our system scheme was so good we didn’t need them or want them. Right?

CPJ was always going to face negative recruiting about his scheme. Just like Tech will always face the same about academics. To say more funding never would have helped overcome the former is as dumb as saying it can’t overcome the latter.

Most importantly. Fund early not late. Don’t get stuck playing from behind needlessly. And the further you fall behind the harder it is to catch up. CGC isn’t starting on an even playing field and folks need to recognize this. Regardless of how good or bad his recruiting is early, it would be better with more funding.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why take shots at @Techster ? For one thing, there's nothing wrong with a cold 6-pack of Lucky Lager Light and for another, nice facilities and a primo staff (what does this mean - they wear nice suits?) won't get 4-5 star WRs nor OL to play in the CPJ scheme or giant DL to play for Ted Roof's defense, etc.

Like it or not, the scheme hindered us in ways that $$$ was not going to fix and it's not debatable.

It’s very debatable to anyone capable of thinking with logic and reason. You seem to have the capability to do both.... but maybe not. Was the scheme used to recruit negative against us? Yes. Effectively? In many cases yes. Would a recruiting staff funded at even a half *** level have helped overcome this? (Please insert logic and reason here)

There are other things I think the past regime should have done to help overcome some of the false narratives. If the head guy had done so that would have helped too. Seemed like we tried to counter the negative stuff one on one and face to face with our recruits. I think a focus at changing minds of the football public at large would have helped more. Water under the bridge now. If CPJ ever wants to coach at a competitive level again he had better tackle this issue. Otherwise he’ll never get a chance to. Monken might but it would be in his best interest to do this also.

Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Tua? Fake news. We never previously went after 4-5 star recruits because our system scheme was so good we didn’t need them or want them. Right?

CPJ was always going to face negative recruiting about his scheme. Just like Tech will always face the same about academics. To say more funding never would have helped overcome the former is as dumb as saying it can’t overcome the latter.

Most importantly. Fund early not late. Don’t get stuck playing from behind needlessly. And the further you fall behind the harder it is to catch up. CGC isn’t starting on an even playing field and folks need to recognize this. Regardless of how good or bad his recruiting is early, it would be better with more funding.
In addition to your comments about the funding, if you have a gazillion analysts on your staff like Al, you can assign a few to investigate open records of your rivals to check on travel records of their assistants to determine and find out who they are recruiting early on. Actually was taking place when KURBU came back to Ga and requested legislative change at the state. You cant make this crap up. If you have a budget like Tech, you sure as hell couldnt assign 2 guys to do nothing but that work. Money, money, money. I sure dont think we will ever do that but wanted to throw out that one of the guys involved with this process at Al is now the head coach in Athens with a similar budget to his mentor.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
A few thousand up from 2017? Would you be willing to bet a few thousand on that? I’m looking for a good investment.

It will be up this year. Partially because of a new coach. Partially because mutt tickets will only be available with season tickets. I expect a big debate on here about how much each affected the increase.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s very debatable to anyone capable of thinking with logic and reason. You seem to have the capability to do both.... but maybe not. Was the scheme used to recruit negative against us? Yes. Effectively? In many cases yes. Would a recruiting staff funded at even a half *** level have helped overcome this? (Please insert logic and reason here)

You correctly say "Was the scheme used to recruit negative against us? Yes. Effectively? In many cases yes. " Thus, logically there is no debate. A better-funded recruiting staff wasn't going to make opposing coaches NOT use the scheme against us nor was more $$ going to somehow convince (say) a 5-star WR to play in a non-throwing offense. Other HS coaches have already confirmed that the scheme hindered us and turned off some players. Again, this isn't debatable since the HS coaches have already confirmed this verbally in interviews about our new coach.

Frankly, it's delusional to pretend it did NOT hinder recruiting but since you don't appear to be delusional (maybe you are?), I won't lump you into that group.

There are other things I think the past regime should have done to help overcome some of the false narratives. If the head guy had done so that would have helped too. Seemed like we tried to counter the negative stuff one on one and face to face with our recruits. I think a focus at changing minds of the football public at large would have helped more. Water under the bridge now. If CPJ ever wants to coach at a competitive level again he had better tackle this issue. Otherwise he’ll never get a chance to. Monken might but it would be in his best interest to do this also.

I agree with all that. Not sure what Monken has to do with this? I doubt his scheme will get a P5 shot but, I guess if it does he will absolutely need to take your advice!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It will be up this year. Partially because of a new coach. Partially because mutt tickets will only be available with season tickets. I expect a big debate on here about how much each affected the increase.

I think it will be up a little just due to the change and curiosity. How much it is up will depend on how much we win. Starting game one.

Edit: Inexpect mutt attendance to be about what it was in 17....but that also depends on how their season progresses. They were rabid with excitement in 17.