Hype and the GT fanbase

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The real question for me is if a modest uptick in recruiting, which I expect, is worth it. I mean, can he coach them to produce any better results than the last guy.

The biggest thing holding CPJ back was not ever producing a half decent defense.

CGC is known for defenses. His track record at every stop has shown very good to elite defenses. Will CGC ever have an offense as good as CPJ's? Probably not consistently, but he won't need to if he has a good defense. I'll take an offense ranked in the 30's and 40's if it's paired with a defense in the 20's and 30's. That pairing will win the Coastal 4 out of 5 years. I'll take that pairing over CPJ's top 20 offense but a defense in the 60's to 100's.

People act like Dave Patenaude is coming in as Patrick Nix 2.0. He's broken offensive records everywhere he's been, and he's shown the ability to implement various schemes to match with talent.

GT will be fine. I'm more than happy to give a little up on offense if it means we get a LOT better defense.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That is why I have said I am skeptically optimistic.
(Have to wonder is half the posters here even know what New Coke was ;))

I’m convinced that New Coke was a marketing ploy so that they could go back to “Classic Coke” and reap the benefits of a huge uptick in Coke sales. Hah hah... just kidding, but not really :D

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest thing holding CPJ back was not ever producing a half decent defense.

CGC is known for defenses. His track record at every stop has shown very good to elite defenses. Will CGC ever have an offense as good as CPJ's? Probably not consistently, but he won't need to if he has a good defense. I'll take an offense ranked in the 30's and 40's if it's paired with a defense in the 20's and 30's. That pairing will win the Coastal 4 out of 5 years. I'll take that pairing over CPJ's top 20 offense but a defense in the 60's to 100's.

People act like Dave Patenaude is coming in as Patrick Nix 2.0. He's broken offensive records everywhere he's been, and he's shown the ability to implement various schemes to match with talent.

GT will be fine. I'm more than happy to give a little up on offense if it means we get a LOT better defense.
I agree. Whether it comes to pass remains to be seen. I’m not as convinced as you that he can give us a top 30 defense. UF is a factory with 4* kids lining up to sign up.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We need football season to get here fast. I want to see what the new guys got and how they’re going to do it. The anticipation is going to be unbearable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Whether it comes to pass remains to be seen. I’m not as convinced as you that he can give us a top 30 defense. UF is a factory with 4* kids lining up to sign up.

Proof is in the outcome. I'm a CGC fan, but I'm a bigger GT. If he doesn't produce, then he'll get shown the door. I like how he's approaching the job, and I like that he's not backing down from putting GT into the "elite" conversation. If he doesn't produce in the next 2-3 years, it's all be void.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
BL wasn’t cool, he had Homer fooled who snatched him up after one good year at ECU. The last time Tech was cool was 90/91. MNC in football and final four in basketball. You would see random GT hats on TV shows and the city was hyped. Maybe again for a brief spell with JoeHam or when all the Atlanta rappers were showing up at Bobby Dodd. Cool isn’t for us, the program needs us whether we like hype or not, but if we want to see a significant change In recruiting we need to be a place that gets kids excited. Collins gets that...it’s what his point is a about brand. I would hope that if it doesn’t float your boat you would simply ignore it. We seem to have agreed that he needs the resources to succeed. Well he needs the hype too.
Well, I remember the L**** hire different then you do. There were several candidates and he was chosen largely because he was - wait for it - younger then the others, enthusiastic, and (supposedly) a good recruiter. At the time I thought it was a very bad decision since he had only had one successful year as a head coach, but apparently the big donors liked him a lot and wanted - wait for it, again - "excitement". One might point out as well that Ross was just about the least cool head coach in Tech history, but you are right: it was success on the field and court that made Tech a big name in 90-91. And that was my point.

I don't have any objection to people getting all hepped up about Coach, but it is success on the field that has kept us afloat, not hype. If Coach wants to push Atlanta and talk up Tech that's fine; it can't hurt. It's what we do on the field for the next couple of years that will determine our recruiting success, however. If we succeed there, find the right kids to recruit, and offer a good education to boot then we'll do fine. All that is still up in the air, but I don't see any reason why we can't make the program work.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was in grad school at Tech then. It must have been a parallel universe GT, because I don’t remember Lewis being cool, having anyone excited, or having his players even like him (after the first year, they told me “he’s a sneaky little ****”). When he was announced, people around me said “what, this is a joke, right?”

When we lost to FSU, there was huge disappointment (we should have won that game) and an even deeper feeling Lewis didn’t have “it” as a coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By "everybody", I meant the people who counted, not some jive grad student.

I thought it was a very bad decision to hire him too and both of us were right. It was the AD and the big donors that were behind his being hired, if I remember right. (Needless to say, they would deny this loudly today.) As to the players, all this shows is that they were every bit as smart as we were. And are.

Animal02

Banned
BL wasn’t cool, he had Homer fooled who snatched him up after one good year at ECU. The last time Tech was cool was 90/91. MNC in football and final four in basketball. You would see random GT hats on TV shows and the city was hyped. Maybe again for a brief spell with JoeHam or when all the Atlanta rappers were showing up at Bobby Dodd. Cool isn’t for us, the program needs us whether we like hype or not, but if we want to see a significant change In recruiting we need to be a place that gets kids excited. Collins gets that...it’s what his point is a about brand. I would hope that if it doesn’t float your boat you would simply ignore it. We seem to have agreed that he needs the resources to succeed. Well he needs the hype too.
Needs the resources far more than the hype at this point. You can say "Make Tech Great Again" all you want, but without the money it will be more of a the same.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven’t seen one Coach Johnson supporter say his offense had no impact on recruiting. Now some, including me, have said his offense and play calling maximized his talent and made us more competitive so that the net was a gain not a loss.

Even so, I admit we still needed more talent especially at key positions. We also needed a better defense and special teams play. I was hoping the additional resources in recruiting would give us the bump in talent needed to bring his scheme to the next level. I guess we’ll never know.
I agree with your thoughts that it could be done with the 3O but Paul is 62 not 52 and I am not sure you can change the coaching makeup on his staff to generate a buzz in recruiting even with 8-10 extra staff members. I still think he is the best 3O guy out there and with him out of the picture I for one didnt want the 2nd best 3O guy. Just like Paul, I want someone completely convinced he has the answer to our puzzle. It is more important that the guy selling believes in this place. Both Johnson and Collins fit that part of the bill, Just 10 years /11 years apart.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Hell there better be at least a few dozen from poster just on this site!!! Got what they hoped... a new coaching staff.

I think Tech averages about 23,000 STH. And I would expect that to continue until there’s a reason for it to change. Better opponents and night games is a good place to start.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech averages about 23,000 STH. And I would expect that to continue until there’s a reason for it to change. Better opponents and night games is a good place to start.

It is hard to get the actual number. They sometimes release numbers and include student season tickets. Even when you get a hard number, you have to understand what the particulars of that hard number are.