Hype and the GT fanbase

Techster

Helluva Engineer
C’mon man you’re trying to punk us. You really can’t believe that having top notch facilities, a primo staff, etc would not help recruiting?

You must drive around on retread tires, buy your clothes at a 2nd hand store and drink Lucky Lager Light.

Here's the thing: All "fixed" things being equal (facilities, academics, etc.) if GT had all of that, you seriously think a 4 star recruit wants to play in or practice against an offense with the narrative CPJ's spread offense has? The reality is, GT isn't all that far behind those schools in terms of facilities. Sure, we don't have the massive complex that Clemson or Texas or 'Bama or Oregon has, but neither do 90+ percent of college football. Like I pointed out, at one point GT had facilities some of our rivals didn't have and did that help us any? We've got star athletes and celebrities that come to town and use our facilities...that's how good our facilities are. Still, how has that helped us in recruiting?

The next few years will be a big litmus test on the veracity of whether CPJ's offense has held us back in terms of recruiting. We've already got one 4 star recruit putting his commitment on hold because of the change in systems, and we have a prominent former SAs commenting on how the new systems CGC is implementing changes recruiting for us.

As I've always said, the proof is in the pudding. We'll see first hand in the next few years.

Here's the thing: All "fixed" things being equal (facilities, academics, etc.) if GT had all of that, you seriously think a 4 star recruit wants to play in or practice against an offense with the narrative CPJ's spread offense has? The reality is, GT isn't all that far behind those schools in terms of facilities. Sure, we don't have the massive complex that Clemson or Texas or 'Bama or Oregon has, but neither do 90+ percent of college football. Like I pointed out, at one point GT had facilities some of our rivals didn't have and did that help us any? We've got star athletes and celebrities that come to town and use our facilities...that's how good our facilities are. Still, how has that helped us in recruiting?

The next few years will be a big litmus test on the veracity of whether CPJ's offense has held us back in terms of recruiting. We've already got one 4 star recruit putting his commitment on hold because of the change in systems, and we have a prominent former SAs commenting on how the new systems CGC is implementing changes recruiting for us.

As I've always said, the proof is in the pudding. We'll see first hand in the next few years.
The thing is that there ARE plenty of 4-star athletes in the country who would have played in and practiced against a CPJ offense IF we had had the resources available to search them out and attract them. You operate under the false assumption that all 4-star athletes only want to play or would only fit into a "standard" offense. There are 4-star athletes ready for a CPJ-type offense that ended up playing FCS ball, when they could have come to Tech, IF we had had the resources available to go after them.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't disagree that CPJ probably got the short end of the stick in some aspects, but giving him the best and biggest weight room/players lounge/academic center/whatever wasn't going to change recruiting for him. Unfortunately, that's the reality of CPJ's tenure. We got an indoor practice facility and shiny meeting rooms...before UGA, Miami, FSU. How many more 4 and 5 stars did that attract?

I said it before, but CGC is gonna get a bunch of stuff CPJ didn't get. That's just how it is. The thing with CGC is a lot of the baggage that came with CPJ and his system won't be present, and the ROI on the money spend will be higher because the ceiling is no longer there.

I read an article right after Collins was hired that quoted a HS coach flat-out saying that CPJ's scheme was a barrier to recruiting and the CGC's scheme will be more attractive for HS seniors than the TO ever was. This validates those who said for years that the scheme hindered recruiting, only to be angrily shot down by people who defended the scheme.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
C’mon man you’re trying to punk us. You really can’t believe that having top notch facilities, a primo staff, etc would not help recruiting?

You must drive around on retread tires, buy your clothes at a 2nd hand store and drink Lucky Lager Light.

Why take shots at @Techster ? For one thing, there's nothing wrong with a cold 6-pack of Lucky Lager Light and for another, nice facilities and a primo staff (what does this mean - they wear nice suits?) won't get 4-5 star WRs nor OL to play in the CPJ scheme or giant DL to play for Ted Roof's defense, etc.

Like it or not, the scheme hindered us in ways that $$$ was not going to fix and it's not debatable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The thing is that there ARE plenty of 4-star athletes in the country who would have played in and practiced against a CPJ offense IF we had had the resources available to search them out and attract them. You operate under the false assumption that all 4-star athletes only want to play or would only fit into a "standard" offense. There are 4-star athletes ready for a CPJ-type offense that ended up playing FCS ball, when they could have come to Tech, IF we had had the resources available to go after them.

Like I said earlier, this isn't the 1990's and 1980's where you actually had to watch game film that was Fed Ex'd by coaches, or actually attend games. If anything, it's MUCH easier to find kids...even easier to find the 4 and 5 star kids that doesn't take a genius to watch game tape and spot who they are. There's only so many 4 and 5 star kids out there, and there are multiple recruiting sources to help coaches figure out who they are. CPJ has always offered the same 4 and 5 star kids other schools were offering. Some of you act like it's some big secret who these elite guys are or who the good 3 star guys are. It's not...film and tape is available on the internet with a couple of clicks or a quick email to the recruit's coach.

Kids just have to want to play for the school or coach...and that's the definition of recruiting.

Like I said earlier, this isn't the 1990's and 1980's where you actually had to watch game film that was Fed Ex'd by coaches, or actually attend games. If anything, it's MUCH easier to find kids...even easier to find the 4 and 5 star kids that doesn't take a genius to watch game tape and spot who they are. There's only so many 4 and 5 star kids out there, and there are multiple recruiting sources to help coaches figure out who they are. CPJ has always offered the same 4 and 5 star kids other schools were offering. Some of you act like it's some big secret who these elite guys are or who the good 3 star guys are. It's not...film and tape is available on the internet with a couple of clicks or a quick email to the recruit's coach.

Kids just have to want to play for the school or coach...and that's the definition of recruiting.
Seeing videos of them and having the money to go after them is two entirely different things.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why take shots at @Techster ? For one thing, there's nothing wrong with a cold 6-pack of Lucky Lager Light and for another, nice facilities and a primo staff (what does this mean - they wear nice suits?) won't get 4-5 star WRs nor OL to play in the CPJ scheme or giant DL to play for Ted Roof's defense, etc.

Like it or not, the scheme hindered us in ways that $$$ was not going to fix and it's not debatable.

Some people don't believe what they read unless it fits their narrative:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...y-about-geoff-collins/oeelE24cbEcFeovOhJAqcL/

“(Collins) does a great job recruiting the kids,” said Jermaine Smith, coach of Class AAA state champion Cedar Grove High. “I think he’ll do well. I really do.”

Coaches believe the change from Johnson’s option offense to Collins’ pro-style scheme will appeal to a higher tier of prospects. Smith, at Cedar Grove, said that some recruits weren’t receptive to Johnson’s offense and their roles in it.

“I think more kids, skill guys, are pretty excited about it,” said Sanders, the Norcross assistant coach.

Sanders’ head coach at Norcross, Keith Maloof, said that Tech’s recruitment of defensive players could improve because of the negative recruiting that Tech absorbed from rival coaches.

“The biggest thing that I think is going to help Georgia Tech now is the other schools can’t come in and say, ‘Well, you’re going to get cut (blocked) your whole career on defense,’” Maloof said. “I think that’s going to help, if Tech plays their cards right. That’s going to help Tech get that pro-style defensive player that they haven’t been able to get in recent years, especially at linebacker and D-line.”

I have friends that coach HS for prominent GA HS programs and they've repeated the same thing for years. Two players on our team played for on a team my buddy coaches.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seeing videos of them and having the money to go after them is two entirely different things.

I guess GT must have some new fangled Star Trek machine that teleports our coaches to California and Hawaii? Can't be because our coaches traveled there personally to recruit them since we don't have money...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Some people don't believe what they read unless it fits their narrative:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...y-about-geoff-collins/oeelE24cbEcFeovOhJAqcL/

“(Collins) does a great job recruiting the kids,” said Jermaine Smith, coach of Class AAA state champion Cedar Grove High. “I think he’ll do well. I really do.”

Coaches believe the change from Johnson’s option offense to Collins’ pro-style scheme will appeal to a higher tier of prospects. Smith, at Cedar Grove, said that some recruits weren’t receptive to Johnson’s offense and their roles in it.

“I think more kids, skill guys, are pretty excited about it,” said Sanders, the Norcross assistant coach.

Sanders’ head coach at Norcross, Keith Maloof, said that Tech’s recruitment of defensive players could improve because of the negative recruiting that Tech absorbed from rival coaches.

“The biggest thing that I think is going to help Georgia Tech now is the other schools can’t come in and say, ‘Well, you’re going to get cut (blocked) your whole career on defense,’” Maloof said. “I think that’s going to help, if Tech plays their cards right. That’s going to help Tech get that pro-style defensive player that they haven’t been able to get in recent years, especially at linebacker and D-line.”

I have friends that coach HS for prominent GA HS programs and they've repeated the same thing for years. Two player on the team played for on a team my buddy coaches.

I wasn't aware anyone said anything to the contrary to this. I believe the ongoing discussion has been about the ability to identify and recruit SAs that don't buy into this kind of negative recruiting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, you can believe whatever you want to believe, but it was NOT JUST THE SCHEME that hurt recruiting.

Never said it was just the scheme, but the scheme was a bigger hindrance than some of the other things a lot on here want to use as why we're not landing these top tier recruits.

As I keep saying, we will see very soon how it all plays out.

LibertyTurns

Banned

I don’t know why you guys won’t give up on the past. We have a new coach. He’s going to run a pro Style scheme which is supposed to help recruiting on both sides of the ball. Do we want to compete or not? Why is there so much resistance to stafffing our program like everyone else, upgrading our facilities, etc? I want to give CGC every advantage we can muster.

Just an example but you can design parts with a pencil & a piece of paper. Everyone else uses computers. You think it doesn’t matter. I do. I think it matters a lot. You don’t think that Alabama’s 5 strength and conditioning coaches matter when we have 1? There’s loads of examples like this. This is a business like it or not. We’ve not invested adequately and have nearly run ourselves into the ground. People notice. You get a reputation. It doesn’t go away with 1 new structure and a change of leadership. People are going to watching to see if GT is serious about competing or it’s the same old window dressing BS we’ve seen for decades.

Never said it was just the scheme, but the scheme was a bigger hindrance than some of the other things a lot on here want to use as why we're not landing these top tier recruits.

As I keep saying, we will see very soon how it all plays out.
If Collins doesn't have more resources than CPJ had, then he MIGHT do better recruiting locally, but there's no guarantee of it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know why you guys won’t give up on the past. We have a new coach. He’s going to run a pro Style scheme which is supposed to help recruiting on both sides of the ball. Do we want to compete or not? Why is there so much resistance to stafffing our program like everyone else, upgrading our facilities, etc? I want to give CGC every advantage we can muster.

Just an example but you can design parts with a pencil & a piece of paper. Everyone else uses computers. You think it doesn’t matter. I do. I think it matters a lot. You don’t think that Alabama’s 5 strength and conditioning coaches matter when we have 1? There’s loads of examples like this. This is a business like it or not. We’ve not invested adequately and have nearly run ourselves into the ground. People notice. You get a reputation. It doesn’t go away with 1 new structure and a change of leadership. People are going to watching to see if GT is serious about competing or it’s the same old window dressing BS we’ve seen for decades.

Come on man...you've seen a bunch of people's enthusiasm for the new direction of the program get pooped on precisely because some won't let go of the past.

Who doesn't want GT to have everything Clemson and UGA has? Not one GT fan. That's not what the discussion was about though, so let's not move the goal posts.

My point is, it's hard to recruit to GT. CPJ's scheme made it even harder. Agree or disagree, it's each person's perogative...but that scheme is no longer here, so we'll see it all play out soon.