Hype and the GT fanbase

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is asinine. I know dozens of engineers that are nothing like you describe, it's not an "engineer" problem, I promise.
Yes, I believe there’s a higher concentration of grumps in the basic cube dweller community. Engineers at least get a chance to do something productive every now & again.

Animal02

Banned
SS - I think it is like my daughter a lot of times. She would say she is an "optimist", but she also will avoid anything she does not want to hear, even sometimes, if it is best for her to hear it. She calls anything that she doesn't want to hear "negative". She is a great daughter, and I love her so much. But, I do think a lot from her generation (she is 30) just want to stick their heads in the sand like an ostrich sometimes, if someone says something they do not want to hear about. Many of these people are progressives, although my daughter is not that. They have learned if they can "label" someone, maybe they can shut them up. Well, that won't happen with GT fans and alums. So, they might as well not try.

But again, I am so glad we have so many fans that are excited about the future, and I am too, but like you, SS, I have to temper that excitement with knowledge and facts.
Your daughter and mine sound like twins.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I will Purchase Season Tickets once again... After the 2017 crappy season I chose to not get season tickets in 2018, However I did make it to the Miami game!!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
speaking for myself only, I'm not expecting much next year. The cupboard at the end of 2018 is much more bare than it was at the end of 2007. We've got some talented kids but they were recruited for a different system than what they've been thrust into now. Expectations should be realistic for us - I'll be satisfied with 6 wins and a bowl because on the other hand, the ACC Coastal is a weak division.

The reality is, in 2008, CPJ inherited an entire DL group that was drafted, one of which was a 1st rounder, and the another that was drafted in the 3rd round. A DB group that all spent time in the NFL. That defense was loaded.

On offense, CPJ inherited a 1st round WR, a 4 star RB that is one of the most physically gifted RBs to play at GT and also spent 3 years in the NFL, a 4 star QB that was perfect for the spread option, a 4 star OT, and another offensive tackle that was already All ACC and would play in the NFL for 5+ years. CPJ also inherited one of the best all around ABs of his tenure in Roddy Jones.

That team was LOADED, which we saw in 2008 and 2009.

CGC is definitely not walking into the same situation.

Animal02

Banned
The reality is, in 2008, CPJ inherited an entire DL group that was drafted, one of which was a 1st rounder, and the another that was drafted in the 3rd round. A DB group that all spent time in the NFL. That defense was loaded.

On offense, CPJ inherited a 1st round WR, a 4 star RB that is one of the most physically gifted RBs to play at GT and also spent 3 years in the NFL, a 4 star QB that was perfect for the spread option, a 4 star OT, and another offensive tackle that was already All ACC and would play in the NFL for 5+ years. CPJ also inherited one of the best all around ABs of his tenure in Roddy Jones.

That team was LOADED, which we saw in 2008 and 2009.

CGC is definitely not walking into the same situation.
And in 2008, I believe football spending was above average in the ACC, not 2nd to last like it is now. If that does change drastically......no amount of hype will matter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wife follows cgc on Twitter.
He a new GT 404 Twitter post.
Wife says kids and young people like this stuff.
When his staff starts - it's going to be effective.
She read me the post by our new rb coach - T Choice- pretty clear he is a quality guy.

I like it that the guy is a dynamo.

Not sure why anyone would look for negatives in his performance to date .

Engineers believe they will get their just reward in the end. They never toot their own horn and in the end the get it .......!
Literally had to force our Project Managers to brag on their superior project accomplishmeets (ae). Clients love it when u are proud of doing good work.
Once they got into it, they became great salesmen for the whole organization.

Is there any doubt this guy loves his job at ga tech!
He's sending a message - come here and enjoy....

As Jerry Says
Let's Go Jackets

Guess I will get an account.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And in 2008, I believe football spending was above average in the ACC, not 2nd to last like it is now. If that does change drastically......no amount of hype will matter.

Honest question: What exactly do you think CPJ was going to do with more money? We already recruit across the country and even to Hawaii (See Lucas Johnson and Michael Minihan). GT is located in the 4th best recruiting state, and the 2nd best recruiting state is just south of us. You think giving him another million dollars would have overcome 4 and 5 stars not wanting to play in his offense or practice against it? Sure we would have found another 2 or 3 star in some far flung state, but we could have found that in the Southeast. A million dollars isn't changing APR, it isn't changing entrance requirements, it isn't changing the variety of our majors, and it isn't changing how many fans show up to watch us play Gardner Webb or MTSU.

CPJ was here for 10 years. It became apparent that CPJ was a dang good coach, but there was ceiling on his recruiting that he could never overcome.

People who think it was just about $$$ with CPJ are really overlooking the narrative surround his system. Whether GT fans like it our not, it was real, and recruits bought into it. No matter how much money you give CPJ, it wasn't going to overcome the narrative.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Honest question: What exactly do you think CPJ was going to do with more money? We already recruit across the country and even to Hawaii (See Lucas Johnson and Michael Minihan). GT is located in the 4th best recruiting state, and the 2nd best recruiting state is just south of us. You think giving him another million dollars would have overcome 4 and 5 stars not wanting to play in his offense or practice against it? Sure we would have found another 2 or 3 star in some far flung state, but we could have found that in the Southeast. A million dollars isn't changing APR, it isn't changing entrance requirements, it isn't changing the variety of our majors, and it isn't changing how many fans show up to watch us play Gardner Webb or MTSU.

CPJ was here for 10 years. It became apparent that CPJ was a dang good coach, but there was ceiling on his recruiting that he could never overcome.

People who think it was just about $$$ with CPJ are really overlooking the narrative surround his system. Whether GT fans like it our not, it was real, and recruits bought into it. No matter how much money you give CPJ, it wasn't going to overcome the narrative.

Not correcting for the sake of correcting but LJ is from Southern Ca and Tech was put on him through a Coach Cook contact. Same with Minihan, coaches on the island reached out to PJ. Tech needs to recruit CA but it does take personnel and MONEY.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not correcting for the sake of correcting but LJ is from Southern Ca and Tech was put on him through a Coach Cook contact. Same with Minihan, coaches on the island reached out to PJ. Tech needs to recruit CA but it does take personnel and MONEY.

We actively sent coach Cook out there when he was an active coach, and coach Speed use to actively recruit Hawaii (Tua Tagovailoa was a recruiting target of ours). We got another OL out of CA. We are spending money to send coaches wherever we think we have a good shot (case in point: Groh going to Baltimore/DC areas).

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
We actively sent coach Cook out there when he was an active coach, and coach Speed use to actively recruit Hawaii (Tua Tagovailoa was a recruiting target of ours). We got another OL out of CA. We are spending money to send coaches wherever we think we have a good shot (case in point: Groh going to Baltimore/DC areas).

Yes and Tech needs to do more of that! Hence the need for MONEY and personnel, right?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes and Tech needs to do more of that! Hence the need for MONEY and personnel, right?

You could give CPJ 10 recruiting analysts, they weren't going to overcome 4 and 5 stars wanting to play in this offense. This isn't the 1990's and 1980's where video of recruits is scarce so it's harder to identify kids. Video is easy to get and readily available. Recruiting services are doing a MUCH better job of identifying kids. College coaches all look at the same lists we are. Sure every now and then we find a true diamond in the rough like Shaq Mason (btw, how many of those finds did we actually have?) that shows up at camp. The reality is, CPJ is offering the same 4 and 5 star recruits everyone else is. Those guys just choose not to go here for reasons that have nothing to do with whether Clemson has 20 recruiting analysts and GT has only 4.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You could give CPJ 10 recruiting analysts, they weren't going to overcome 4 and 5 stars wanting to play in this offense. This isn't the 1990's and 1980's where video of recruits is scarce so it's harder to identify kids. Video is easy to get and readily available. Recruiting services are doing a MUCH better job of identifying kids. College coaches all look at the same lists we are. Sure every now and then we find a true diamond in the rough like Shaq Mason (btw, how many of those finds did we actually have?) that shows up at camp. The reality is, CPJ is offering the same 4 and 5 star recruits everyone else is. Those guys just choose not to go here for reasons that have nothing to do with whether Clemson has 20 recruiting analysts and GT has only 4.

I'm not going to argue with you, the program was deprived of what it needed to do the best it could to recruit the best and brightest. If you don't see that then nothing I say will make a difference but I know and anyone who is a Tech fan knows that our competition has and has had staff so far beyond what Tech has it not even remotely amusing.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you wholeheartedly. Wanna know why we are thin at WDE going back to the 4-3? Because Duke, UNC and Wake ALL have 4 star rush ends from Gwinnett Co on their rosters that we recruited . Not the mutts or Clemson or Bama. Duke, UNC and Wake. Where was the first place CGC visited to recruit? Gwinnett Co.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, you're wrong. B*** L**** was cool and had everybody excited. Our most successful coaches - Dodd, Ross, O'Leary, Paul - have all been rather understated and concentrated on building the program. Indeed, I think if Ross had been available this time around and had been hired this board would be exploding about him being an old guy incapable of "relating to today's youth" and "dooming us to more mediocrity". That's what some people said at the time, after all.

Oth, I don't know enough about Coach - and, I might add, none of us do - to say if he is more substance then hype. However, I don't think TStan would have hired him if he wasn't sound on what needs to be done and sound on football fundamentals, especially on D. Further, I think most of what he told Roddy makes excellent sense. We'll have to see if that works the way people think it will, but I don't see any reason why we couldn't have that upper 30 recruiting class in 2019; all we should need is a 3- 4 more 4 star players. That's easily doable. Then it'll be matter of getting the performance we need on the field.
BL wasn’t cool, he had Homer fooled who snatched him up after one good year at ECU. The last time Tech was cool was 90/91. MNC in football and final four in basketball. You would see random GT hats on TV shows and the city was hyped. Maybe again for a brief spell with JoeHam or when all the Atlanta rappers were showing up at Bobby Dodd. Cool isn’t for us, the program needs us whether we like hype or not, but if we want to see a significant change In recruiting we need to be a place that gets kids excited. Collins gets that...it’s what his point is a about brand. I would hope that if it doesn’t float your boat you would simply ignore it. We seem to have agreed that he needs the resources to succeed. Well he needs the hype too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to argue with you, the program was deprived of what it needed to do the best it could to recruit the best and brightest. If you don't see that then nothing I say will make a difference but I know and anyone who is a Tech fan knows that our competition has and has had staff so far beyond what Tech has it not even remotely amusing.

I don't disagree that CPJ probably got the short end of the stick in some aspects, but giving him the best and biggest weight room/players lounge/academic center/whatever wasn't going to change recruiting for him. Unfortunately, that's the reality of CPJ's tenure. We got an indoor practice facility and shiny meeting rooms...before UGA, Miami, FSU. How many more 4 and 5 stars did that attract?

I said it before, but CGC is gonna get a bunch of stuff CPJ didn't get. That's just how it is. The thing with CGC is a lot of the baggage that came with CPJ and his system won't be present, and the ROI on the money spend will be higher because the ceiling is no longer there.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree that CPJ probably got the short end of the stick in some aspects, but giving him the best and biggest weight room/players lounge/academic center/whatever wasn't going to change recruiting for him. Unfortunately, that's the reality of CPJ's tenure. We got an indoor practice facility and shiny meeting rooms...before UGA, Miami, FSU. How many more 4 and 5 stars did that attract?

I said it before, but CGC is gonna get a bunch of stuff CPJ didn't get. That's just how it is. The thing with CGC is a lot of the baggage that came with CPJ and his system won't be present, and the ROI on the money spend will be higher because the ceiling is no longer there.

Whatever, as I said I'm not going to argue with you. Have a great evening.

Looking forward to next season and seeing how CGC and staff do with the severe lack of talent. Wishing them the best and I'll be there rooting for Tech just as I have for the vast majority of my life.

LibertyTurns

Banned

C’mon man you’re trying to punk us. You really can’t believe that having top notch facilities, a primo staff, etc would not help recruiting?

You must drive around on retread tires, buy your clothes at a 2nd hand store and drink Lucky Lager Light.