Hunter Renfro for Clemson

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is an interesting factoid: In TWO National Championship Games against BAMA he has caught 4 TD's. All against a 5 Stars secondary. NOBODY in the SEC has done that, let alone a 2 Stars kid.

He is literally worth his weight in Gold by doubling his Stars in the form of TD's! Probably a great kid too!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I agree but Clemson is also LOADED...

As much as I don't care for the O, but it works and we win, and it's amazing how well we compete with them and all these factories.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here is an interesting factoid: In TWO National Championship Games against BAMA he has caught 4 TD's. All against a 5 Stars secondary. NOBODY in the SEC has done that, let alone a 2 Stars kid.

He is literally worth his weight in Gold by doubling his Stars in the form of TD's! Probably a great kid too!
Great numbers. Thanks.
It must give Dabo Swinney some quiet satisfaction, as a guy who claimed he was a "crawl on" at Alabama, calling the biggest play of the night for a scrawny little walk-on, even if it was a kind of marginal pick slip pattern. Scott really gummed up the cornerback on the edge. As we have talked about before, there is an awful lot of want-to in competing.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Great numbers. Thanks.
It must give Dabo Swinney some quiet satisfaction, as a guy who claimed he was a "crawl on" at Alabama, calling the biggest play of the night for a scrawny little walk-on, even if it was a kind of marginal pick slip pattern. Scott really gummed up the cornerback on the edge. As we have talked about before, there is an awful lot of want-to in competing.

Pretty sure Dabo didn't make that call, but rather one of their co-offensive coordinators did. Dabo has done an incredible job building that program, but I'm not sure about his coaching skills in particular. Most of the time he just looks like a rabid fan...freaking out when bad stuff happens and cheering when good stuff happens...granted I don't attend practices and meetings and such, but I don't ever see him doing a whole lot of coaching on TV. Maybe he's just a good manager...which is often good enough, but I'll be interested to see what happens to their program over the next few years with Watson gone...especially if Venebles leaves to be a HC any time soon.

I doubt the talent goes anywhere, but Clemson has had a ton of talent for a while and were not performing at this level.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure Dabo didn't make that call, but rather one of their co-offensive coordinators did. Dabo has done an incredible job building that program, but I'm not sure about his coaching skills in particular. Most of the time he just looks like a rabid fan...freaking out when bad stuff happens and cheering when good stuff happens...granted I don't attend practices and meetings and such, but I don't ever see him doing a whole lot of coaching on TV. Maybe he's just a good manager...which is often good enough, but I'll be interested to see what happens to their program over the next few years with Watson gone...especially if Venebles leaves to be a HC any time soon.

I doubt the talent goes anywhere, but Clemson has had a ton of talent for a while and were not performing at this level.
Well, specifically he told Scott to dial up "our best play" and go for the win. But to suggest that because he is animated and sometimes over the top that he can't coach .... wow. You don't get his record, five straight double digit win seasons, and a NC out of Cracker Jack boxes. No question that it takes horses to win horse races, and he gets the horses, but his whole philosophy of coaching permeates the program, and that 99-play offensive night is specifically his creation, and the reason one DC was told to leave ... he objected to the speed of the offense and the lack of rest for his defense. Morris and the other two guys were brought in to implement it and polish it. As well that quick kick and the ending onsides were great coaching decisions in-game. He can coach, and my money is on them being back sooner rather than later.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well, specifically he told Scott to dial up "our best play" and go for the win. But to suggest that because he is animated and sometimes over the top that he can't coach .... wow. You don't get his record, five straight double digit win seasons, and a NC out of Cracker Jack boxes. No question that it takes horses to win horse races, and he gets the horses, but his whole philosophy of coaching permeates the program, and that 99-play offensive night is specifically his creation, and the reason one DC was told to leave ... he objected to the speed of the offense and the lack of rest for his defense. Morris and the other two guys were brought in to implement it and polish it. As well that quick kick and the ending onsides were great coaching decisions in-game. He can coach, and my money is on them being back sooner rather than later.
Agree completely. If it was Bama in that situation, it wouldn't be Saban sitting there drawing up the playcall either. You don't have to be a strong X's and O's guy to be a great coach. Hell **** Vermeil had a great coaching career as a rah rah guy. You just need to know how to motivate and manage your players and coaches and he does a great job at it.