1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

How World War II almost broke American politics

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by GTRambler, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Northeast Stinger

Northeast Stinger Helluva Engineer

OK, it is a complex issue and I was not interested in nit picking details. I was trying to use short hand to explain that after Pearl Harbor the pro fascist movement was no longer publicly vocal. What scholars debate is how active/passive was the support of people like Ford later in the war. Ball bearings, electronic components, engine parts etc. were still showing up new in infantry divisions after D-Day.

Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  2. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

There are a lot of more logical reasons why other than American nazi sympathizers imo.

3. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

Hey....where is @ae87 at ????

4. TheSilasSonRising

TheSilasSonRising Helluva Engineer

Honestly, I am not a big conspiracy type person while at the same time not shocked if some things turned out to be true.

I have heard things about Coca-Cola and what turned out to be Fanta during WWII.

Goerring carried a S&W - maybe no big deal.

My Dad was in the Army Air Corp during the War but we didn't talk about it much at all. As a kid I thought his duties sounded boring as hell. See he was stationed in South America! South America - WTF! What was going on down there during WWII? Would like to know now.

As a kid I much rather had talked to my uncle who jumped into Normandy with the 82nd.

But IDK know what to think about some of the potential conspiracies.

Northeast Stinger likes this.
  5. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

Was your Dad stationed in Panama?

6. TheSilasSonRising

No, much farther into South America than that.

Always revered his service, he quit college to join, but was always curious about it.

7. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

Ok, my next guess is Natal. That was the launch point for aircraft either defending West Africa or interestingly enough as strategic bomber reinforcements for Southeast Asia and the Philippines.

8. TheSilasSonRising

Interesting. Never knew that. Definitely seems plausible.

Dad just always claimed his service was quite unremarkable ( which none of that generations service was of course).

Appreciate the insights.

9. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

Not sure if it was orchestrated, but they knew it was coming. My dad was part of the "Red Arrow" division. National Guard out of Mich and Wisc. They were stationed down in La. doing war games etc. in '41. He said they packed up the camp and drove to Boston via Army truck around September of 41.....were there a month or two and then loaded everything onto trains and shipped out to San Fran. He was on Angel Island on Dec 7. They loaded onto troop ships had headed to Australia in early Feb. '42. Landed in Melbourne and traveled overland to the north coast and into New Guinea. They were part of the first groups to take on the Japs and stop any further progress toward Australia.

Whiskey_Clear and bwelbo like this.