• 2-9 or worse

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Time to lock in your predictions.

1) Assuming a full 11 game regular season, what will be our final record? Poll included.

2) How many games will GT actually play in 2020?

3) In what position will the Jackets finish in the 15 team ACC standings?

4) Which Jackets will make 1st, 2nd or 3rd team All-ACC, as voted on by the ACC media and head coaches? No need to specify which team.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Bunch of people who know nothing about the team. I don't blame them. We didn't give them a reason least year. And it's impossible really to project the actual product on the field. The only safe bet to me is that it won't be last. Of course, that's the place most are putting us.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1. 7-4 plus a coin flip bowl game

2. Buttt... we'll have three games cancelled: Syracuse, because NY isn't going to let our team from a 'red zone' travel. And another due to an outbreak on our opponents team game week, my money is on Miami. And we aren't playing UCF; hurricanes, plagues, interdimensional monsters... take your pick, never going to happen. We'll end up 4-4.

3. 5-way tie for 6th

4. Brown, Mason, Cooper, Curry and T Swilling.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah I also went 7-4, but don’t see a world where we play all 11 clean.

2) I think we end up playing 7 games total. We drop the ooc game once the first few games are canceled across the league. And can’t find ways to make 3 of the ACC games work.

3) we finish a respectable 4-6 Place and are looking forward to 2021 by the end of the year.

4) JP Mason; Cooper; A Brown; Curry; D Brooks all make the list.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
OK, I’ll play:

We will do meaningfully better than most think.

Our offensive line will surprise to the upside. Our defensive line will be the best since 2008.

Our skill positions are much above average (Just need some experience).

I expect our secondary to be legit.

I am concerned about offensive coaching and play calling. I hope that concern proves to be unfounded. Secretly I think we have a QB we just don’t know it yet. Why else would there be so little coming out of fall camp?

We will get a bowl bid if bowls are played.

/

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bunch of people who know nothing about the team. I don't blame them. We didn't give them a reason least year. And it's impossible really to project the actual product on the field. The only safe bet to me is that it won't be last. Of course, that's the place most are putting us.

I think the media a lot of lazy narratives and perceptions around the team. Like you, I don't blame them, wouldn't really expect them to know deep details about a (for now) nationally irrelevant team.

I think the perception is that Tech has been a bottom feeder for years and has an FCS triple-option roster. If you asked most national media members Tech's record the last four years, most would probably guess 10-38+/- Actually, was 24-25, which certainly isn't great, but Tech has been a mid-pack team, not a bottom dweller as the national perception has it. Tech's 2019 247 Team Talent Composite was 10th in the ACC (not worst, not an FCS-level triple option roster). The 2020 numbers aren't out, but based on our roster and 2019 numbers, we'd be ~6th (based on # of stars and team avg rating). Even last year, as bad as it was, Tech tied for 12th in the conference, not last.

The media analysis is that Tech is somehow going to be worse this year. Actually, I think the (incorrect) perception is that Tech was by far the worst team in the ACC last year and will improve a little and have a worse record because of the schedule. Last year was awful. But there were a lot of reasons for that. Most of those are behind us. I think we end up around .500 in the middle of the conference and show a lot of improvement and potential.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I never pay much attention to the pundits. They are usually homers who get paid very little for a lot of work. So they rarely dig deep to find their information.

I think we have a legit chance to win between 5-7 games. I hope we put uga back on the skeddy.

All Conf guys will be- J. Thomas, T. Carpenter, T. Oliver, C. Thomas, J. Mason, R. Johnson, J. Jackson, T. Swilling and for my final pick T. GLEASON. I said it folks. I am still on the Graham train until proven otherwise but from the rumblings I'm hearing Gleason is dat dude.... We'll see.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
A lot depends on coaching strategy. Since this a free year from an eligibility standpoint, do coaches play their young guys to give them experience? Since our FR talent is better than any other class, maybe that's what we do. Maybe it's what other schools do. Hard to say.

Preseason predictions are always nothing more than idle speculation due to injuries, break out players, players in slumps, coaching changes, etc. But this year is even worse.

The so called experts are uniformly dumb when it comes to college football. They want to analyze college like it's the NFL, and it's not the same at all--and it takes a lot more time due to turnover of players, growth and development of players, etc. Those so-called experts are too lazy to do the detail work to do a proper college analysis. The David Hale ranking above is a prime example. A fair number of people on this board could do a better analysis.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah I also went 7-4, but don’t see a world where we play all 11 clean.

2) I think we end up playing 7 games total. We drop the ooc game once the first few games are canceled across the league. And can’t find ways to make 3 of the ACC games work.

3) we finish a respectable 4-6 Place and are looking forward to 2021 by the end of the year.

4) JP Mason; Cooper; A Brown; Curry; D Brooks all make the list.
ETA Carpenter is almost certainly going to be all conference. Can’t believe I forgot him. And as a dark horse I am going to say Tobias Oliver makes a list too. I think QBs having not had the reps with receivers will have defenses feasting on timing issues early in the season. Just in time for Oliver to integrate into getting live snaps there at the corner.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would be thrilled with 7-4 and be tempted to give Collins a lifetime contract. That said, I think we lose to FSU, UCF, Clemson, ND, and are tossups or very slight favorites/dogs in the rest. I could see us at maybe 6-5 but more likely 4-7. The reason is our OL & DL are just not ACC quality right now. Lots of promise, but 2020 is not going to be our year to break through.

I agree that we will probably not play a full season. If we can get through September, I might feel more confident. If we don't, I think the SEC is in trouble getting started.

I think we will end up in the middle of the 15 team standings. Probably around 9th or 10th.

Unless he gets injured, Mason again. Curry and Brown for honorable mention. Gibbs on the all-rookie team and maybe honorable mention as kick returner. Harvin as the punter.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
4-7. We are in every game but the Clemson game.

We will win a game by 2 TDs that we should not. (ND, UCF, Miami)
In GT fashion we will lose a game where we look awful. Losing by 2+TDs. (NC State, Syracuse, BC)

Deleted member 2897

Some predictions by the "experts"

When we were really bad last year, you can't expect many people to pick you to do well the next year. We have a year in the system and significantly better recruiting than most of the league...but its only 1 year later. So I can see people picking us 12th or something. What chaps my hide is when we have a decent year, and then these *******s still pick us at the bottom the next year. I'm tired of it. And reading guy after guy after guy not picking a single Georgia Tech player on their entire all conference roster is a little ridiculous too.

Ya'll don't sleep on Anntoneous Clayton either. A former 5-star player who has gotten himself healthy and really worked hard. This is his money year (most likely). We may not have a lot of 1st team guys (I might guess 1 or 2), but I think we sprinkle several folks in the 2nd/3rd/honorable mention categories.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When we were really bad last year, you can't expect many people to pick you to do well the next year. We have a year in the system and significantly better recruiting than most of the league...but its only 1 year later. So I can see people picking us 12th or something. What chaps my hide is when we have a decent year, and then these *******s still pick us at the bottom the next year. I'm tired of it. And reading guy after guy after guy not picking a single Georgia Tech player on their entire all conference roster is a little ridiculous too.

Ya'll don't sleep on Anntoneous Clayton either. A former 5-star player who has gotten himself healthy and really worked hard. This is his money year (most likely). We may not have a lot of 1st team guys (I might guess 1 or 2), but I think we sprinkle several folks in the 2nd/3rd/honorable mention categories.
Good point about Clayton. I forgot about him.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
ESPN’s matchup predictor currently has us winning: @Cuse, Pitt, Duke, @NCSU

Toss-up losses(40%-49.99 chance to win): @thugu and @BC

All the other games were under a 30% chance to win. So they have us going 4-7 to 6-5.

Jmonty71

Banned
I have us at 4-7. Just don't think all the pieces are there yet. I think next year, is the breakout season and we win 6-7 games.