How wide is home plate

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I played a lot of organized baseball through high school. The game is so technically oriented now. There is discussion about robot calling balls and strikes.
The question is how much of the ball must cross the plate to be a strike? If only a portion of the ball needs to cross it, then the plate is it's physical width plus 2X the diameter of the ball.
Maddox comes to mind as opposing teams said the ball was often just off the plate and still called a strike.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I played a lot of organized baseball through high school. The game is so technically oriented now. There is discussion about robot calling balls and strikes.
The question is how much of the ball must cross the plate to be a strike? If only a portion of the ball needs to cross it, then the plate is it's physical width plus 2X the diameter of the ball.
Maddox comes to mind as opposing teams said the ball was often just off the plate and still called a strike.
The plate is 17" wide. Any part of the ball that crosses over the plate (with the right height) constitutes a strike. The ball is a little under 3" in diameter, so in essence the strike zone is 23" wide. Note that the black edge of the plate is not part of the strike zone so the term "on the black" is not technically correct when calling a pitch a strike.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The plate is 17 inches. At the Major League level that is the strike zone. If any part of the ball crosses over the plate it is a “strike.” That is how the electronic zone you see on tv is calibrated, and how it will be called when they eventually go full electronic. If you’re interested, there is a Twitter account that uses the electronic zone as a reference and grades every home plate umpire across every MLB game for how accurate their strike zone is. It is @UmpScorecads. Here’s an example:

That page grades umps on the strict 17” zone. So if any part of the 3” ball crosses the zone it should be a strike. However, when MLB grades their own umps, they allow calls in an acceptable “shadow zone” which lies at 16.5” to 17.5”, so a quarter inch both on the plate and off the plate on both sides. They don’t consider pitches in this area called incorrectly either way, and their grades reflect that.

There are minor and independent leagues currently using an electronic zone to call balls and strikes that use a zone that is 18” wide, so an extra half inch on both sides of the plate.

Most college and minor league umps are trained at the same level, and they would be instructed to call the game based on a zone that resembles the slightly expanded zone of the minor leagues. Obviously there are inconsistencies, and every ump will see the zone differently, especially in college. On any given conference weekend there will be 33 Power 5 series. That’s 3 different home plate umpires per series, so 99 total different umpires. Add in all the mid-major, low-major, and lower divisions of college baseball, and there are thousands of umpires who will all see the zone differently.

So to answer the question, the plate itself is 17”. There is no “black” on the plate. But at different levels the zone is called differently. The lower you go the wider the zone will get, and the more inconsistent it will get.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have season tickets for triple A in Durham. It is often difficult to tell why certain pitches that look in the strike zone are called balls. The amount of scoring says the strike zone is slanted toward the hitters even at that level.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I have season tickets for triple A in Durham. It is often difficult to tell why certain pitches that look in the strike zone are called balls. The amount of scoring says the strike zone is slanted toward the hitters even at that level.
I think there is a lot larger effects that have contributed to the amount of scoring than any discrepancy in the strike zone. It is still called sufficiently so that pitchers who can locate can be successful.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for all the replies. I figured that any part of the ball was a strike but always have to include human error. May be time for robotic calls for more consistency. The umps couldn't even make a decent call on an infield fly rule in the UNC game. Purist always defend the premise that it is part of the game until it affects their team in a negative way.