How to pair the brilliant minds of GT students with GT Football = Better Results/Edge

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be that guy, but 27% as much as he passed is NOT “run-first.” I get that you’re just showing that QBs can run and get to the NFL, but the comment before which I believe this train of thought is referencing is ‘wanting sims to be more of a run-first’ guy.

There’s gotta be a balance if you’re getting into the NFL; the days of the exclusive pocket passer are over. Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow (to an extent), and soon to be Kenny Pickett too, all use their legs to their advantage. (Edit: didn’t even mention Mahomes lol)

Sims already shows flashes of genius when he can get skinny between tacklers and extend plays; he needs to start hitting the easier passes and clean up reading defenses and progressions. Too often his problem was decision-making, albeit the OLine didn’t extend his decision-making time too well.
I agree with this. Part of my hope is this was due to being young and thrown into the lions' den and that it improves significantly as he matures.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s a conundrum as you point out. Sims may or may not have any shot as a quarterback in the pros. To get to that goal will require a major jump in his current skill set. But getting that major jump could cost Tech 2-3 games.
It may be the only major jump he needs is reading defenses better and consistency. With the first probably comes the second. I think he's shown he has all the tools. Just a matter of putting it all together and doing it consistently.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not trying to be that guy, but 27% as much as he passed is NOT “run-first.” I get that you’re just showing that QBs can run and get to the NFL, but the comment before which I believe this train of thought is referencing is ‘wanting sims to be more of a run-first’ guy.

There’s gotta be a balance if you’re getting into the NFL; the days of the exclusive pocket passer are over. Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow (to an extent), and soon to be Kenny Pickett too, all use their legs to their advantage. (Edit: didn’t even mention Mahomes lol)

Sims already shows flashes of genius when he can get skinny between tacklers and extend plays; he needs to start hitting the easier passes and clean up reading defenses and progressions. Too often his problem was decision-making, albeit the OLine didn’t extend his decision-making time too well.
Hopefully Weinke is given the leeway to give discipline to the QB position. The has been NONE.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When I hear all the talk about all of our millionaire graduates I am very comfortable with the idea that in another 100 years or so, GT will be marketing the fact that 1 in every 1 of its graduates is a millionaire. That word still has leftover catchet that is somewhat meaningless in today's world. But it does make a nice recruiting gimmick I suppose to the unsuspecting.
Not many people remember Lee Corso once coached Indiana, a lousy football team. When he was hired they askled him how he planned to overcome Indiana's strict academic standards with good players. He said he would recruit "hardosed smart guys." That did not turn out all that well.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I think there is still more to be learned than has been learned already. There has been a wave of innovations in individual athlete stats but you can win without the highest rated athletes and you can lose with them. There are questions to be answered that nobody has even asked yet.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there is still more to be learned than has been learned already. There has been a wave of innovations in individual athlete stats but you can win without the highest rated athletes and you can lose with them. There are questions to be answered that nobody has even asked yet.
Some players grow and mature late, but there aren’t enough for one school to corner the market who fall through the cracks. It takes charismatic recruiting paired with backing to get the tireless recruiting done. That does not exist with sufficient will.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
The complicated answers to Tech’s problems in coaching and recruiting miss the simplicity of what kids want. What do teenage male athletes want for now and in the future? What do parents want when deciding? Before we build the ark, let TStan and the deep pockets acquire us some short term fixes and start a damn program. Pastner can coach players, but he is too dorky to get them there. He needs some local music talent to push Tech recruiting.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
The complicated answers to Tech’s problems in coaching and recruiting miss the simplicity of what kids want. What do teenage male athletes want for now and in the future? What do parents want when deciding? Before we build the ark, let TStan and the deep pockets acquire us some short term fixes and start a damn program. Pastner can coach players, but he is too dorky to get them there. He needs some local music talent to push Tech recruiting.
They don't come more dorky/wacko than Cremins. He did pretty well at recruiting. just sayin

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bobby would meet with alums before the NC State game at the team hotel. He took the time to meet with us just before leaving for the arena. He is a very likeable guy. I can see why kids liked him and wanted to play for him.