How to get off the see-saw?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping that the offensive performance last week was a direct result of the OL. Does anyone know if they are good for the Duke game?

I don’t know what to think about the D. They had it tough last week because Pickett stretched them all over the field AND our offense didn’t give them a rest. I was at the game so I didn’t have a bird’s eye view but their receivers seemed to run free the whole game. Maybe we need to get more contact leaving the line to disrupt the timing? Pickett’s passing was also able to help their run game. Lots of ??? on D but the ??? are a bit different every week.

Picket is a really good QB and he had a truly great game. He will beat you every time with that kind of performance if you cannot get pressure (which we did not or can not). We had a few breakdowns in coverage but the base problem was no pressure. We probably had an equal number of plays that were well covered but the pitch and catch guys made plays.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Have more tenured players specifically at QB.. I think Sims will be elite player when he is a senior and he learns how to protect ball better and read defenses. Better oline play wouldnt hurt either.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Picket is a really good QB and he had a truly great game. He will beat you every time with that kind of performance if you cannot get pressure (which we did not or can not). We had a few breakdowns in coverage but the base problem was no pressure. We probably had an equal number of plays that were well covered but the pitch and catch guys made plays.
If a QB is picking the defense apart and has lots of time to throw, then that defense has got to go after him with blitzes. They may backfire, but you have to gamble. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember many times when we rushed more than four at Pickett. I don't understand why we didn't at least try more blitzing.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We desperately need to win 2 in a row for once. If we can do that, then I think this group can turn a corner mentally. Win Saturday, rest and and correct things during the bye week and beat uva, which would be back to back road wins, would be huge just for a mental standpoint! The acc is not good. I still see us back dooring our way into 6/7 wins.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Curious, but what happened to them? Did they all get hurt in the Carolina game? Don’t remember them all coming out and our offense falling apart in that one. Did they get hurt in practice?
I wish I knew as well.

I missed the first half of the game live. Only reason I knew was because of other people posting about it and then seeing the video of the INTs and who was playing guard.

Seems strange the injuries would be that concentrated.

Hopefully they’re back this week.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to know how much actual PLAYING time the 2nd unit guys got in- say-the KSU game or others ? You've got to expect injuries and prepare.There is a million excuses for the losers. hmmm
Yea, I don’t know the answer.

I also don’t know if it’s better to play backup guys or let your 5/6 guys you plan on playing most get live reps as a unit.

We are really young past the starters for the most part so I tend to agree getting the you g guys some live reps when the game is in hand seems like it would be beneficial.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To respond directly to the OP, I think this team needs to learn how to deal with success.

Honestly GT in general does. I’ve heard way too many times here and from GT fans everywhere that they prefer to be the underdog.

We need to learn how to win and learn how to deal with the pressure of expecting to win.

I do think this will come as the team gets older. We have some good older leaders, but not really at key positions.

Here’s to hoping we right the ship Saturday.
learning to deal with success has been a GT problem for many, many years.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We were actually down 2 offensive linemen. Kenny Cooper was out hurt (which he is prone to be), and Ryan Johnson did not play but the second half due to injury as well. Jordan Williams has a nagging injury but played. We tried to play Viapulu at Johnson's spot and Pendley at Cooper's spot. Pendley has also been nursing some nagging injury. Both subs just did not execute at a level needed to be successful. I think Lay played quite a bit as well at the Guard site. Cooper is a good player but he has been hurt most of his career and it was a mistake for the coaching staff to build their OL plan around counting on Kenny being available for an entire season. So far, Minihan and Cochran have been the ones we can count on. We have recruited a lot of guys that for some reason just have not demonstrated enough to be trusted to actually play. Guys like Mike Maye and Austin Smith. We have guys like Leftwich, Franklin, Green, and Rankins who have been talked about but must not be ready to play yet.

Unfortunately, it looks like we have reached a point where we are going to have to play some guys we don't trust and hope for the best. I have never understood the philosophy of building your OL line plan around 6 guys and having the sixth man capable of rotating to the position of whoever goes down. We have over 15 guys who are classified as Offensive linemen in the program. We should have a first string, a second string and a third-string who practice together and develop a sense of competition trying to move up for playing time.

We are in a world of hurt here and best figure out how to put a band-aid on it and accelerate the development of what we do have.

Go Jackets!
You have it backwards. Vaipulu started for KC who is the cause for both turnovers and William Lay played some snaps for Paula.

Imagine this board reaction if Kenny Cooper was processed.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If a QB is picking the defense apart and has lots of time to throw, then that defense has got to go after him with blitzes. They may backfire, but you have to gamble. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember many times when we rushed more than four at Pickett. I don't understand why we didn't at least try more blitzing.
Not to defend Thacker but we did blitz early to no good outcome. Our guys rushed in there and stuck to a blocker like velcro. When we got some penetration from our DEs they could not tackle the very mobile QB and he just bought more time for their receivers to get open. I was hoping our D would go back to 4 in the DL and maybe do some twists and outside blitzes but Thacker seemed to choose to continue with the 3 man non pressure hoping to get a better outcome. Our rushers seem to want to find a blocker to hand fight with and it looks like we are stuck to the blocker.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So far, we have been a very Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde type team. We either are on point and we see the team we think we can be or we see a product that we spend most our time with our palm over our foreheads. I totally understand we have an overall young team. However; most these kids are in year 2 or 3 of the program. So, how do we get off the see-saw? Better coaching??? Better planning for games??? Better play calling??? Really looking for other people's ideas on how to become more consistent.
I cannot speak for others, but I do not want to get "off the see-saw". Not this week, as it is time for us to be "up" as it were. Maybe in the following week it will be time to hop off. As for becoming a consistent, competent football team...not happening any time soon unless drastic changes in attitude and commitment are made by the players and the coaches. We are favored this week, but if Duke plays like they did against Northwestern they will beat us again leaving fans wondering how can we lose to a team with clearly inferior athletes?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not to defend Thacker but we did blitz early to no good outcome. Our guys rushed in there and stuck to a blocker like velcro. When we got some penetration from our DEs they could not tackle the very mobile QB and he just bought more time for their receivers to get open. I was hoping our D would go back to 4 in the DL and maybe do some twists and outside blitzes but Thacker seemed to choose to continue with the 3 man non pressure hoping to get a better outcome. Our rushers seem to want to find a blocker to hand fight with and it looks like we are stuck to the blocker.
Thanks for your reply. I already erased the game but just going from memory I couldn't recall any blitzing.
I guess that's because the blitzes were so futile. It's good to know Thacker at least tried.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I cannot speak for others, but I do not want to get "off the see-saw". Not this week, as it is time for us to be "up" as it were. Maybe in the following week it will be time to hop off. As for becoming a consistent, competent football team...not happening any time soon unless drastic changes in attitude and commitment are made by the players and the coaches. We are favored this week, but if Duke plays like they did against Northwestern they will beat us again leaving fans wondering how can we lose to a team with clearly inferior athletes?
Northwestern has been surprisingly bad this year. Especially after a great season they had last year. So that game might be more a function of NW being down than Duke playing well. Or a bit of both.

Jmonty71

Banned
I see my theory failed. We did not put the good team in the field, at Duke. However; it did even one thing out. We played good against Clemson and lost. We played bad against Duke and won. So, what comes out, next game??? Wished I knew...

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I see my theory failed. We did not put the good team in the field, at Duke. However; it did even one thing out. We played good against Clemson and lost. We played bad against Duke and won. So, what comes out, next game??? Wished I knew...
Well , off past performance, with an extra week to prepare and UVA not having a bye , we should have somewhat of an advantage. Get healthy, watch lots of film, be ready mentally.......play their best game.