How to get off the see-saw?

Jmonty71

Banned
So far, we have been a very Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde type team. We either are on point and we see the team we think we can be or we see a product that we spend most our time with our palm over our foreheads. I totally understand we have an overall young team. However; most these kids are in year 2 or 3 of the program. So, how do we get off the see-saw? Better coaching??? Better planning for games??? Better play calling??? Really looking for other people's ideas on how to become more consistent.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
The coaching and preparation has to adapt and prepare better for adversity. Whenever we have had a couple OL injuries this year, the bodies that have stepped in have been unprepared and performed poorly. This has had the effect of screwing up the whole OL performance by disrupting continuity. And I mean REALLY making the OL bad. It was atrocious versus Pitt. Gives me some serious hope for Sims that he was still able to throw for like 365 behind that stinker of a performance.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The coaching and preparation has to adapt and prepare better for adversity. Whenever we have had a couple OL injuries this year, the bodies that have stepped in have been unprepared and performed poorly. This has had the effect of screwing up the whole OL performance by disrupting continuity. And I mean REALLY making the OL bad. It was atrocious versus Pitt. Gives me some serious hope for Sims that he was still able to throw for like 365 behind that stinker of a performance.
But isn't that the philosophy of ATL ? CGC trumpets the ATL method when it works, but is pretty silent when it doesn't.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping that the offensive performance last week was a direct result of the OL. Does anyone know if they are good for the Duke game?

I don’t know what to think about the D. They had it tough last week because Pickett stretched them all over the field AND our offense didn’t give them a rest. I was at the game so I didn’t have a bird’s eye view but their receivers seemed to run free the whole game. Maybe we need to get more contact leaving the line to disrupt the timing? Pickett’s passing was also able to help their run game. Lots of ??? on D but the ??? are a bit different every week.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
But isn't that the philosophy of ATL ? CGC trumpets the ATL method when it works, but is pretty silent when it doesn't.
I'm going to entertain the possibility that certain coaches may have their own agenda and philosophy and the pull to act independently. I know there are several position groups where we have played a lot of bodies, and they seem to be better prepared when called upon. Except for the secondary, which has 'legacy' issues going on, which calls into question the commitment to 'Competition Is King'.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I heard, we were down 4 interior OL.

That’s not quite next man up. That’s multiple iterations of that phrase.

Continuity is also important on the OL so you won’t see as much rotation with that position group as others.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
To respond directly to the OP, I think this team needs to learn how to deal with success.

Honestly GT in general does. I’ve heard way too many times here and from GT fans everywhere that they prefer to be the underdog.

We need to learn how to win and learn how to deal with the pressure of expecting to win.

I do think this will come as the team gets older. We have some good older leaders, but not really at key positions.

Here’s to hoping we right the ship Saturday.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It's mostly on the defense and specifically trying to figure out what happened in the Pitt and UNC games. UNC is no slouch on offense. They are top 20 in total offense and scoring offense. Pitt is obviously ranked higher but you wouldnt think the overall gap between them is that large. Somehow we register 8 sacks and 13 TFL against UNC and only 1 sack and 2 TFL against Pitt. UNC looked helpless most of the game where as Pitt looked like they could name their score and do it with ease. Did we just catch UNC off guard and confuse them? Is Pitts OL really that much better? Was Pitts game plan that much better? A change in performance that drastic against two good offenses is just confusing.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's mostly on the defense and specifically trying to figure out what happened in the Pitt and UNC games. UNC is no slouch on offense. They are top 20 in total offense and scoring offense. Pitt is obviously ranked higher but you wouldnt think the overall gap between them is that large. Somehow we register 8 sacks and 13 TFL against UNC and only 1 sack and 2 TFL against Pitt. UNC looked helpless most of the game where as Pitt looked like they could name their score and do it with ease. Did we just catch UNC off guard and confuse them? Is Pitts OL really that much better? Was Pitts game plan that much better? A change in performance that drastic against two good offenses is just confusing.
I think it’s multiple factors. I think UNC has a weak OL this year. Even their fans have commented on it. I think they hadn’t seen enough film of our 3-3-5 to be prepared for all the stunts and blitzes. I think Pitt having a stronger OL negated our DL’s effectiveness. I think having more film to study put a damper on the element of surprise. I think having a more experienced QB lessened the effects of whatever pressure we did manage to generate. And I think Pitt got away with a lot more holding than UNC was even willing to attempt.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So far, we have been a very Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde type team. We either are on point and we see the team we think we can be or we see a product that we spend most our time with our palm over our foreheads. I totally understand we have an overall young team. However; most these kids are in year 2 or 3 of the program. So, how do we get off the see-saw? Better coaching??? Better planning for games??? Better play calling??? Really looking for other people's ideas on how to become more consistent.
See any team outside the playoff teams. We're not that special in this department.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tstan needs to not backdown.
Needs to insist that cgc hold his self responsible to adjust the pregame plan. That was a pitiful defensive game.

Pitiful will not be rewarded
Oh look i just got my email saying its time to pony up for gtaa.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Continuity is also important on the OL so you won’t see as much rotation with that position group as others.

I would like to know how much actual PLAYING time the 2nd unit guys got in- say-the KSU game or others ? You've got to expect injuries and prepare.There is a million excuses for the losers. hmmm

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We were actually down 2 offensive linemen. Kenny Cooper was out hurt (which he is prone to be), and Ryan Johnson did not play but the second half due to injury as well. Jordan Williams has a nagging injury but played. We tried to play Viapulu at Johnson's spot and Pendley at Cooper's spot. Pendley has also been nursing some nagging injury. Both subs just did not execute at a level needed to be successful. I think Lay played quite a bit as well at the Guard site. Cooper is a good player but he has been hurt most of his career and it was a mistake for the coaching staff to build their OL plan around counting on Kenny being available for an entire season. So far, Minihan and Cochran have been the ones we can count on. We have recruited a lot of guys that for some reason just have not demonstrated enough to be trusted to actually play. Guys like Mike Maye and Austin Smith. We have guys like Leftwich, Franklin, Green, and Rankins who have been talked about but must not be ready to play yet.

Unfortunately, it looks like we have reached a point where we are going to have to play some guys we don't trust and hope for the best. I have never understood the philosophy of building your OL line plan around 6 guys and having the sixth man capable of rotating to the position of whoever goes down. We have over 15 guys who are classified as Offensive linemen in the program. We should have a first string, a second string and a third-string who practice together and develop a sense of competition trying to move up for playing time.

We are in a world of hurt here and best figure out how to put a band-aid on it and accelerate the development of what we do have.

Go Jackets!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Truth be told, based on the “body of work” the 8 sacks and 13 TFL are the aberration. The defense want bad against the others, not nothing like what we saw against unc. I just watched a portion of the game and will say that it didn’t seem like there was a lot of times Pickett had all day (a few for sure) and on several throws we had decent coverage and he just put it right on the money. Hard to stop that unless you can get to him b4 he releases it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Curious, but what happened to them? Did they all get hurt in the Carolina game? Don’t remember them all coming out and our offense falling apart in that one. Did they get hurt in practice?