How to Build an Efficient Offense Quickly

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This business of repetition actually works. Back when I was in high school - I know, I know - our "B-Team" was more successful then our varsity. (Btw, did you know that "varsity" is Edwardian upper class English slang for "university"?) Reason: our b-team coach was a purist. We only ran a few plays and we would sometimes dedicate an entire practice to running one play. It got to the point where we could tell if coach was pleased or not. If he wasn't we had several instances of the team refusing to leave practice until we had run the play de jour correctly. And, sure enough, this carried over to games.

This is one reason I like system offenses. The number of plays is kept to a minimum and the rest is blocking schemes and execution.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This business of repetition actually works. Back when I was in high school - I know, I know - our "B-Team" was more successful then our varsity. (Btw, did you know that "varsity" is Edwardian upper class English slang for "university"?) Reason: our b-team coach was a purist. We only ran a few plays and we would sometimes dedicate an entire practice to running one play. It got to the point where we could tell if coach was pleased or not. If he wasn't we had several instances of the team refusing to leave practice until we had run the play de jour correctly. And, sure enough, this carried over to games.

This is one reason I like system offenses. The number of plays is kept to a minimum and the rest is blocking schemes and execution.
Vince Lombardi practiced the Packer sweep over and over. He was convinced that repetition and running it right meant that during a game, even if the opponent knew the play was coming, they couldn’t stop it.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Vince Lombardi practiced the Packer sweep over and over. He was convinced that repetition and running it right meant that during a game, even if the opponent knew the play was coming, they couldn’t stop it.
Our coach did the same thing. In practice, he would tell the defense what play we were running in goal line/short yardage situations. That way, in the game, even if the defense knew it was coming they couldn't stop it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our coach did the same thing. In practice, he would tell the defense what play we were running in goal line/short yardage situations. That way, in the game, even if the defense knew it was coming they couldn't stop it.
My coach made us block trees. Literally. We went into the woods and blocked trees. We were pretty good at sustaining blocks during games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The greatest rebuild i have seen in recent time was the year Baylor ended their season as their final qb was injured. They were running the air raid but now faced a 11-2 UNC team in a bowl game w no qb.
Earlier in year Gt lost 38 -31 while only rushing 250 yds.

Baylor revamed the offense by putting a wr or rb at qb spot. They schemed the blocking to move pocket so qb could run, try to pass and scramble.
Baylor had 117 yds penalties.
120 yds passing
650 yds rushing
With 38 first downs.
Bears 49 to Tar heals 38

Play FAST AND Have good coaches.

Jmonty71

Banned
How to build an effective offense? Starts with the O line. Winning the battle of the LOS is a must. Start using some counter plays. Start pulling guards... As for the QB? Create some quick slants, screens and hitch passes....basically high percentage passes, to build confidence. At the same time, make sure you highlight the talent you have. I think, lastly, don't be predictable. If sidewalk fans, can guess 90% of the plays, prior to running them, you can bet the other team can too.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
There are still some posts over at Football Study Hall from before ESPN hired Bill Connelly away.

You could find the plays with the biggest EPA, but plays are part of offenses. Going back to Bill Walsh, plays aren’t a single thing, but they’re a series of actions to stretch out a defense and find mismatches. You wouldn’t find a lot of success with a playbook that’s a veer play and the next page a Lombardi sweep and the following page an air raid pass, and I don’t think that’s what you’re asking for.

This is focused on coaches: https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...-college-football-pat-fitzgerald-kevin-wilson. It’s from 2018, so Collins isn’t on the list, and Monken isn’t either.

^^ That should give you an idea about offenses ^^

Flexbone offenses are up near the top of punching above your weight. You’ll also see Urban Meyer and other coaches that blend in option concepts without going full flexbone. @ilovetheoption Anything you want to add in here?

Efficiency is about consistency. It’s about getting positive yardage every time you touch the ball. Explosiveness is about big plays. Air Raid is going to do better at explosiveness than efficiency, because receivers drop balls and passes get tipped, etc.

I’d say it’s not primarily about X’s and O’s, or Jimmies and Joes, but consistent play up front is your starting point. Your front 5/6 have to do their job well and consistently. (the mid-80’s John Riggins Washington Redskins did that with an H-back and huge linemen for their day and a massive RB).

Jimmies and Joes and X’s and O’s are FACTORs, but being good at the basics that support your scheme are the key to efficiency. It’s like a Swiss watch—all the gears need to be fit together well.

The only thing I'll push back on is your characterization of Air Raid offenses as more explosive than efficient.

If you mean like OFFICIALLY Air Raid offenses, I'd say just the opposite. They focus on high percentage, low risk throws. Their QB's whole job is completions. Not yards, not touchdowns, not attacking the field, completions. If he completes a pass, he has done his job. I'd argue the OVERWHELMING majority of their throws are 6 yards or less when the ball is caught, which makes it spiritually akin to the flexbone.

THe offense should keep you ahead of the chains dependably, and then if your ball carrier can make anything happen, well that's gravy.

IF you're using "Air Raid" generically to mean "pass happy offense" (and I understand that a LOT of people do), then yeah, I agree.

To wit, look at pass completion percentage stats for this year:

"Pure" Air Raid guys (and yes, I'm counting Oklahoma, though Riley has veered from the Pure Waters in recent years) are number 1, 2, 7, and 9 in the country in completion percentage. (maybe more, i'm not sure what Purdue or South Alabama run)