How to be an 8 win Team

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Auburn, Scouth Carolina and GT all play 2 out of Clemson, UGA and Alabama every year. I never hear Auburn and SC trying to duck those teams and I am ashamed any GT fan would do so.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Before TN won the NC in 1998, they had opened a full time recruiting office in Southern California. Fullers theory was CA had too much talent to be absorbed into the Cal schools, so he happily brought them East.

Until Lou Holtz was at ND, the recruiting staff was one person.

If you take out the top ten teams or so, the lifetime winning percentage for D1 schools translates to 7-5.

Deleted member 2897

I was finally starting to recover and then you reminded me that we soon play Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, and Georgia in the same year. Now that’s some ****.

Deleted member 2897

Auburn, Scouth Carolina and GT all play 2 out of Clemson, UGA and Alabama every year. I never hear Auburn and SC trying to duck those teams and I am ashamed any GT fan would do so.

There is not much similarity between USCe, Auburn, and Georgia Tech. Forbes ranks those colleges around #250+, they consider them true cesspools absent of any real education.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Before TN won the NC in 1998, they had opened a full time recruiting office in Southern California. Fullers theory was CA had too much talent to be absorbed into the Cal schools, so he happily brought them East.

Until Lou Holtz was at ND, the recruiting staff was one person.

If you take out the top ten teams or so, the lifetime winning percentage for D1 schools translates to 7-5.

And that includes 2 cupcakes. ( Tulane had 9 men on field).

Going foward we play 2 top ten teams while most teams seldom play a top 10 team.

UGA dominated BOR and Hill make our players take calculus and graduate at 85% rate while uga players have many easy courses and graduates 50% rate .

Therefore doing AVERAGE :
7 and 5 is more likely to be 5 and 7

Check that conclusion at present time 2018 SEASON - 1 and 2 with future
2 losses to top 10 teams
1 win over cupcake
3 and 3 in remaining 6 games.
Check 5 and 7.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I hate the idea of artificially inflating our wins, by removing the good teams. Here's an idea, lets field a competitive team that can beat those guys. We are not there right now...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There is not much similarity between USCe, Auburn, and Georgia Tech. Forbes ranks those colleges around #250+, they consider them true cesspools absent of any real education.

I don't know about USCe. My ME professors poked fun at Auburn. But, my point was Auburn was repurposed as a "polytechnic" school which swept the South in the 1880's-90s, as was GT. The difference is Tech changed direction in 1948 by becoming a purely technical and research school. But historically, Tech and Auburn were competitors. They are not today, agreed.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I have noticed watching other games. The huge number of transfers and JC transfers on everybody except Tech. It seems to be a huge advantage for other teams, where our majors and course requirements restrict us to graduate transfers only.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about USCe. My ME professors poked fun at Auburn. But, my point was Auburn was repurposed as a "polytechnic" school which swept the South in the 1880's-90s, as was GT. The difference is Tech changed direction in 1948 by becoming a purely technical and research school. But historically, Tech and Auburn were competitors. They are not today, agreed.
A very good school ,Bucknell , was a so so NCAA football power that went to div 2 and then the Patriot division .
Have a relative that is getting full ride undergrad scholarship in materials science.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a point about playing a softer out of conference schedule that I haven't seen brought up. Everyone always complains that we never get to play much of our 2nd/3rd string because we're always in close games. The Alabama, Ohio State, ugas, of the worlds play 2-3 patsies spaced out throughout the year. This gives them a chance to tryout young players, recover for tougher games ahead, and build confidence. Yes it won't look as good as winning games against tougher teams, but we should be able to swing an extra home game, develop players, and keep them healthier.

As it stands in 2020 we have an awful schedule with UCF, Notre Dame, and Georgia on top of the normal ACC schedule. We get one easy game that year the first against Garner-Webb. Even if we have a good team that year we are going to be limping through the schedule by the end and a complete patchwork of depth. I predict that being a non bowl year or a 6-6 year no matter how you slice the team.
2020 is just one example of what I was talking about. If we end up 6-6 or worse that year there are a bunch of people will want the coaches head whoever the coach is. It is just crazy to me that we do this to ourselves. Good post.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
2020 is just one example of what I was talking about. If we end up 6-6 or worse that year there are a bunch of people will want the coaches head whoever the coach is. It is just crazy to me that we do this to ourselves. Good post.

Tech's lifetime win rate is 55%. Since 1970, it's 57%. Basically, we should expect to win 7 games a year and every few years catch lightning in a bottle.

6-6 is about right.