How 'Should' Tech Do in Recruiting Rank - Analysis

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Obviously the 2007 class was incredible for GT.

Am I the only one who never heard it associated with Geoff until he became our coach? I recall people crediting it to Giff Smith or to Kyle "Ambassador" Jackson or to many of the moms or to the players recruiting each other. It's a topic that has come up a lot in discussions of GT recruiting over the last 11 years. I do not recall ever hearing Geoff's name brought up. Am I the only one?

Milwaukee

Banned

Am I the only one who never heard it associated with Geoff until he became our coach? I recall people crediting it to Giff Smith or to Kyle "Ambassador" Jackson or to many of the moms or to the players recruiting each other. It's a topic that has come up a lot in discussions of GT recruiting over the last 11 years. I do not recall ever hearing Geoff's name brought up. Am I the only one?

I'm with you, I always associated that haul with Giff. That's not a knock on Collins, it's more of a knock on myself for not knowing. If Collins played a big role then my excitement just went from 8.9 to 9.4.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is great. Instead of nitpicking a couple of years or a couple of specific players this is data that makes a strong case for the constraints CPJ has been working with and what faces Geoff. We simply have to do more in getting more resources

Per the Department of Ed, Equity in Athletics #s (Title IX compliance)

This is the annual expenses for Football for ACC programs since 2003 (That's as far back as I could download) (Excluded Pitt, Cuse and Loserville, since they came on late in the time frame.

Some things that jump out.
  • Budgets have exploded over the last 15 years.
  • Braine had us mid-pack in the ACC.
  • D-Rad got immediately us up to around 3rd and kept us commensurate with that level. We had basically the same budget as Clemson until 2013.
  • Want to credit the 2007 class to something? How about the fact D-Rad boosted our Football budget ~50% that year...
  • Sasquatch, that ****ing Bobinski, cut our budget 12+% when everyone else was going up 10% per year.
  • 2015 we were dead darn last in the ACC. SMDH. CPJ and his staff got shafted.
  • I had not seen the 2016 numbers before. (2015 was last I saw) TStan gets it.

upload_2018-12-8_14-32-32.png

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

This is the annual expenses for Football for ACC programs since 2003 (That's as far back as I could download) (Excluded Pitt, Cuse and Loserville, since they came on late in the time frame.

• D-Rad got immediately us up to around 3rd and kept us commensurate with that level. We had basically the same budget as Clemson until 2013.
  • Want to credit the 2007 class to something? How about the fact D-Rad boosted our Football budget ~50% that year...
  • Sasquatch, that ****ing Bobinski, cut our budget 12+% when everyone else was going up 10% per year.

View attachment 4716

Duke and Clemson the same?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Straight from the mouth of Roddy Jones, a member of that class:
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/temple-geoff-collins-ahead-the-curve/9nuOEAVWnWdCocSY0qUkVN/

As I remember from another board, Collins was given a lot of credit for that class. But when he left for Alabama and did some things that made fans mad, all of a sudden it was Giff Smith that did it all. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

View attachment 4716
this is what a lot of us been saying with antidotal evidence. ever since 2008 we were getting farther and farther behind. I bet CPJ did not know this was going to happen when he took the job. No wonder he was pissed but really handled it pretty well. This is something that everyone at GT that is a fan of GT needs to understand and pressure our admin to not do this to us ever again. Thanks BCJacket for doing this work! We need to track this on an annual basis.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's accurate to say Georgia is enormously rich in football talent. Second only to Louisiana in "Blue chip" players per capita. (4 and 5 star rated players) and behind only Texas, Florida and California in raw numbers. Alabama and Florida are adjacent and strong as well. So, that could be an advantage to us.

But also, 7 of the top 11 schools in predicted recruiting strength are in our state or adjacent states. Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida State, Florida, Miami, Clemson. Their average football budget is more than double Tech's...

Eight of the top ten in actual recruiting are also in the top ten regional score for talent. But the two that aren't tOSU and ND are 27th and 39th in local talent. But they're 6th and 4th in budget...

There's no example of a school with a low budget in a rich recruiting ground that gets good results. Tech is the exemplar. We're 7th in available local talent, 61st in budget, 55th in recruiting. Miss St is 2nd in talent, 42nd in budget, 27th in recruiting...

So, "when people say we could be doing better given the talent of the area", my answer would be that having local talent doesn't hurt, but it doesn't determine anything. Spending does. With enough resources, you can get talent wherever it is. Without enough resources, you can't get talent no matter where it is.
I cannot like your analysis enough. Send all recruiting neophytes over here to this thread. We should have it up all the time and update it when we can. This is great.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not everyone thinks data is important.
Yes, and most of those people run an organization into the ground. What many of us have been saying for years, we have to up the resources', especially for recruiting, if we are going to get to the 30-40 ranking range. I think it is totally doable, if the resources flow in this direction.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

I’m sure he did have a big part, but taking Dwyer for example:

Not sure how they determine who recruited someone though.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-8_15-54-14.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-8_15-54-14.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 35

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
As I understand it, TStan has the donors and is willing to commit the funds. Is this all rumor or some truth to it? I've heard the number 125 mil thrown out there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I love the analysis, but ... some of the schools above the line, didn’t perform all that well. I expect State U to have a great class every year, but often ... they don’t.

It’s Men, Materials, Methods, Machines and Morale.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I love the analysis, but ... some of the schools above the line, didn’t perform all that well. I expect State U to have a great class every year, but often ... they don’t.

Money lines up better with recruiting better than it does performance on the field. BUT being perennial top performer seems to need top recruiting.

All this data indicates to me is if we want better recruiting we need to pay more.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As I understand it, TStan has the donors and is willing to commit the funds. Is this all rumor or some truth to it? I've heard the number 125 mil thrown out there.
If the hire ensures we can begin to invest in the program at the rate of our competitors, than the hire will be a success.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I cannot agree more. Recruiting is just one piece of a successful system. And given our constraints we have to have a coach that coaches talent up and gets more out of our SAs than the factory schools we go up against do