How much does GT spend in football (other programs included)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
https://accsports.com/acc-news/how-much-acc-schools-spend-football/

Could you imagine if we were with the upper group of the ACC, our program could be so much better. I hope this changes. It's amazing how well we have done on the field with these numbers.

Not exactly sure how it's supposed to change (the money w have available, that is). Attendance seems to be in a pretty narrow band...we'd need probably 5 excellent years in a row to start to really change that (hint: VERY hard to do). Funds from other sources like TV and media are pretty well set by the conference. Donations are what they are. Not sure where GT goes with this.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not exactly sure how it's supposed to change (the money w have available, that is). Attendance seems to be in a pretty narrow band...we'd need probably 5 excellent years in a row to start to really change that (hint: VERY hard to do). Funds from other sources like TV and media are pretty well set by the conference. Donations are what they are. Not sure where GT goes with this.

Tech is never going to burn money on football like Clemson and F$U. But it doesn't seem like a stretch to think we should be in the middle range (~$24 Million) with UNC, Duke, L-ville, Pitt and Cuse. Rather than the dead bottom with Wake. Sad.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Tech is never going to burn money on football like Clemson and F$U. But it doesn't seem like a stretch to think we should be in the middle range (~$24 Million) with UNC, Duke, L-ville, Pitt and Cuse. Rather than the dead bottom with Wake. Sad.

The "school" money that goes to sports is similar for GT compared to other ACC programs. Ticket sales and donations are behind other ACC schools. If the GT fans want more money spent on sports, us GT fans need to pony up and spend more.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/how-much-acc-schools-spend-football/

Could you imagine if we were with the upper group of the ACC, our program could be so much better. I hope this changes. It's amazing how well we have done on the field with these numbers.
What things are we specifically lacking that we don't have the money for? Things that would make us better in football? I assume we aren't talking about using football monies for the non-revenue sports. Our facilities aren't bad as they once were. If you had $10,000,000 or even $5 million annually to spend, what would we spend it on? Outside of coaching staff salaries, where would more money do the most good relative to improving the program?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What things are we specifically lacking that we don't have the money for? Things that would make us better in football? I assume we aren't talking about using football monies for the non-revenue sports. Our facilities aren't bad as they once were. If you had $10,000,000 or even $5 million annually to spend, what would we spend it on? Outside of coaching staff salaries, where would more money do the most good relative to improving the program?

Recruiting staff, travel, and ... DC

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Extra staff, and better facilities (locker room and other things that other schools have like bowling alley, nap room lol, putt putt (not sure is another school has this) ect.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
images (1).jpg

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Ignore the ACC ranking. We rank 61st out of all the 65 Power 5 teams (uga at #5 with $38.88 mil for those who are curious). That's so utterly pathetic and falls completely on the shoulders of the fans. Stansbury has got his work cut out for him.

Deleted member 2897

Ignore the ACC ranking. We rank 61st out of all the 65 Power 5 teams (uga at #5 with $38.88 mil for those who are curious). That's so utterly pathetic and falls completely on the shoulders of the fans. Stansbury has got his work cut out for him.

Its why uGA fans live in trailors and Tech grads live in mansions. We need to give up the wallet a bit more. Time to launch a 30% campaign - target all the folks who give $50-$5000/year and ask them to give 30% more. Make a big list of everything the money will go to and work it!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think GT is its own worst enemy when it comes to this sort of thing. If Stansbury really, truly wants to get us up into the middle of the pack, there are GOBS of things that will have to happen. But I have a zillion ideas.

First and foremost, gotta love the fans. GT does so many things that make it harder or frustrating for fans who want to come to the game.

Two big areas they could massively improve is how they treat season ticket holders and students. Students should get into games completely free, no charge WITH a friend. If you have a GT student ID please come to the game cause it's FREE. Bring a friend. Also, concessions should be markedly reduced in price. The idea is that going to the game should be the IT thing to do in the fall.

To help with that, north and south student sections in the end zone have to be scrapped and the students returned to where they belong in the lower east stands. I know, I know, those seats are the ones the corporate people buy for big $ and then never show up to or they stay inside. Screw that. They can stay inside and if they want to go outside, they can sit in comfortable awesome seats... in the end zones.

The idea is you want to build this brand, this IT factor for the students (because they're the ones who are going to donate in a few years!!!!!!) but also on TV. It's got to look like "holy smokes look at GT's stadium that place is bumpin. Let's go to a game." If students completely fill up the lower east stands, then they can go sit in the upper north wherever they can find an open seat.

The season ticket holders have to be loved next. More perks. Better perks. Give them an hour on fan day instead of 30 minutes. Give them more/better spring practice access. Again, got to build an IT factor for them. I can tell you that it's cheaper and easier for me to buy individual game tickets on Stubhub for better seats to every home game than it is to try and buy those same seats as season tickets. That ought not be so. Prices have to drop so we get more people in the door, AND perks and seats have to improve at the same time until season ticket sellouts are a foregone conclusion.

The Gameday experience itself HAS to improve. The band should be coordinated with the big board and the piped in music. Speaking of the band, they need to be in the lower east where it's easy to get on TV.

Definitely need the stadium announcer and the board to go over scores from other ACC and SEC games.

If this kind of stuff starts happening, attendance will increase. But it's gonna take more than 1 game. Or even 1 season.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Its why uGA fans live in trailors and Tech grads live in mansions. We need to give up the wallet a bit more. Time to launch a 30% campaign - target all the folks who give $50-$5000/year and ask them to give 30% more. Make a big list of everything the money will go to and work it!

This time 1,000. But for everyone who does give the 30% more, give THEM something. Better seats, free stuff, a behind the scenes in depth tour of every inch of BDS.

Combined with a better game day experience, another huge piece is spending 1 on 1 time with the biggest and best donors. Show them where there money is going and how it's helping and how 30% more is going to help more. Someone who just bleeds white and gold and can sell ice to eskimos should be doing this. Anyone who donates over $5,000 should get to go to two sessions during the offseason where CPJ and the coaches do a film session and break down tape "here's what's really going on".

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think GT is its own worst enemy when it comes to this sort of thing. If Stansbury really, truly wants to get us up into the middle of the pack, there are GOBS of things that will have to happen. But I have a zillion ideas.

First and foremost, gotta love the fans. GT does so many things that make it harder or frustrating for fans who want to come to the game.

Two big areas they could massively improve is how they treat season ticket holders and students. Students should get into games completely free, no charge WITH a friend. If you have a GT student ID please come to the game cause it's FREE. Bring a friend. Also, concessions should be markedly reduced in price. The idea is that going to the game should be the IT thing to do in the fall.

To help with that, north and south student sections in the end zone have to be scrapped and the students returned to where they belong in the lower east stands. I know, I know, those seats are the ones the corporate people buy for big $ and then never show up to or they stay inside. Screw that. They can stay inside and if they want to go outside, they can sit in comfortable awesome seats... in the end zones.

The idea is you want to build this brand, this IT factor for the students (because they're the ones who are going to donate in a few years!!!!!!) but also on TV. It's got to look like "holy smokes look at GT's stadium that place is bumpin. Let's go to a game." If students completely fill up the lower east stands, then they can go sit in the upper north wherever they can find an open seat.

The season ticket holders have to be loved next. More perks. Better perks. Give them an hour on fan day instead of 30 minutes. Give them more/better spring practice access. Again, got to build an IT factor for them. I can tell you that it's cheaper and easier for me to buy individual game tickets on Stubhub for better seats to every home game than it is to try and buy those same seats as season tickets. That ought not be so. Prices have to drop so we get more people in the door, AND perks and seats have to improve at the same time until season ticket sellouts are a foregone conclusion.

The Gameday experience itself HAS to improve. The band should be coordinated with the big board and the piped in music. Speaking of the band, they need to be in the lower east where it's easy to get on TV.

Definitely need the stadium announcer and the board to go over scores from other ACC and SEC games.

If this kind of stuff starts happening, attendance will increase. But it's gonna take more than 1 game. Or even 1 season.
If we reduce the number of seats, reduce the ticket price, and increase the number of students tickets, how did that help raise more money? Kind of telling that a discussion about GT fans not supporting the program financially turns into a fan complaining about the current pricing being too much.

Also, if I understand the student tickets, they can buy a season ticket or they can sign up each week for free tickets.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
If we reduce the number of seats, reduce the ticket price, and increase the number of students tickets, how did that help raise more money? Kind of telling that a discussion about GT fans not supporting the program financially turns into a fan complaining about the current pricing being too much.

Also, if I understand the student tickets, they can buy a season ticket or they can sign up each week for free tickets.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm not complaining about the prices, just saying that 50,000 people in the building at a lower price is better than 40,000 at a higher price. Also, not saying to lose seats, just rearrange them.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Lots of rambling here...

First, unless things have changed in the last 10 years (God, can't believe I just said that) I think students do get into the games for free. It's included as part of their athletic fee for gaining access to CRC, other sporting events, etc.

Lowering season ticket prices isn't going to help. That makes revenue go down. Fans need to give more (including myself).

Attendance is a tough one. Bottom line is that our fan base (including a very large percentage of the students) doesn't really want to go to the games. It's sad, but probably more true than we want to believe. The ones that buy season tix go...and will buy season Tix even if the price were twice what it is now (myself included). But I have several neighbors that are Tech alums that haven't been to a game in the three years I've lived here...they just don't have the desire to go.

Stansbury and Pastner have the right idea. We need to focus on the Atlanta market to build a bigger fan base, not just focus on alumni. I could come up with ideas, but I'd rather just drink a beer and let them do it. I'll up the donation and keep cheering and let the guys that are paid to do it figure it out.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm not complaining about the prices, just saying that 50,000 people in the building at a lower price is better than 40,000 at a higher price. Also, not saying to lose seats, just rearrange them.

I don't think attendance went down all that much when they upped the price a few years back. When tickets were cheaper it was still 40k

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

The attendance numbers, which I believe are based on tickets sold, not butts in seats, for 2016 was about 47,500. Clemson and Miami were about 53k, Vandy and Virginia were about 42k. It already is close to 50k. Supposedly season ticket sales are up this year, so it should be even closer to 50k at the current pricing. You would have to do a chart of price to sales(with sales only projected at the lower price) to determine where the most money would be made. My uneducated opinion is that you would lose fewer season ticket holders at higher prices than you would gain at lower prices. Vandy and Virginia games might not sell out even if people were paid to attend the games instead of having to pay for tickets.

One thing to note from last year: The Mercer game sold almost 50k tickets(Only needed 8 more). From a revenue standpoint, that was a great game. I think KSU will probably be the same in 2021.