How many people will return?

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Just hit me that we have no one lose eligibility so how many of the grad transfers and older guys will come back?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know David Curry has said he's most likely not coming back (already a 6th year Senior). Sounds like Jalen Camp is still up in the air based on his interview with Parker and Durham. I'm more curious about upper classmen on the O-Line. Would love to see Ryan Johnson back for another year but not sure. I doubt Kenny Cooper will return. Also on the D-Line with the early injury, I could Clayton come back.

It'll also be interesting to see what Juniors come back in 2022.

Deleted member 2897

For early guys, Jordan Mason I would think has a shot at getting drafted. Juanyeh Thomas and Tre Swilling I would have thought going into the year, but probably not now. So maybe 1 early guy not returning.

Some guys will have a shot at the NFL, like Pressley Harvin and Tariq Carpenter - so I would suspect they're gone. Others like Jalen Camp - does he think he can ever make the NFL? Not sure...guys like him and Ryan Johnson I'd expect to make a run as an undrafted and see if they can make a team, then move on.

Some guys like Djimon Brooks are sharp as hell (he was a high school salutatorian) and may take their degree and go enter the workforce. Jaytlin Askew, Jerry Howard, Kenny Cooper, Jack Defoor, Antwan Owens I'd see go that route. David Curry would be a 7th year Senior if he returns (there are jokes from the team about him running out of Masters Degrees available at Tech), but he's the kind of guy who I could see want to come back again...even if it was more of a player coach once we get other guys to take over his position. ;)

Antonneous Clayton got screwed again and couldn't have a normal year to play himself onto people's radars. I could see him trying to show out on the combine numbers and try and make a team. But I could also see him wanting to return to try once again to get on people's radars if he isn't by the end of the season.

But then you wonder about people like Bruce JS - would he transfer to use that 1 year somewhere else to try and play some whereas he likely wouldn't see the field here?

If I had to guess I'd say only 2-3 seniors come back. They'd have to not quite be good enough to make the NFL but also good enough to get playing time on the team to make the grind worth it versus going and getting a job. Someone like Antonneous Clayton could fit that bill, possibly Ryan Johnson.

slugboy

Staff member
For early guys, Jordan Mason I would think has a shot at getting drafted. Juanyeh Thomas and Tre Swilling I would have thought going into the year, but probably not now. So maybe 1 early guy not returning.

Some guys will have a shot at the NFL, like Pressley Harvin and Tariq Carpenter - so I would suspect they're gone. Others like Jalen Camp - does he think he can ever make the NFL? Not sure...guys like him and Ryan Johnson I'd expect to make a run as an undrafted and see if they can make a team, then move on.

Some guys like Djimon Brooks are sharp as hell (he was a high school salutatorian) and may take their degree and go enter the workforce. Jaytlin Askew, Jerry Howard, Kenny Cooper, Jack Defoor, Antwan Owens I'd see go that route. David Curry would be a 7th year Senior if he returns (there are jokes from the team about him running out of Masters Degrees available at Tech), but he's the kind of guy who I could see want to come back again...even if it was more of a player coach once we get other guys to take over his position. ;)

Antonneous Clayton got screwed again and couldn't have a normal year to play himself onto people's radars. I could see him trying to show out on the combine numbers and try and make a team. But I could also see him wanting to return to try once again to get on people's radars if he isn't by the end of the season.

But then you wonder about people like Bruce JS - would he transfer to use that 1 year somewhere else to try and play some whereas he likely wouldn't see the field here?

If I had to guess I'd say only 2-3 seniors come back. They'd have to not quite be good enough to make the NFL but also good enough to get playing time on the team to make the grind worth it versus going and getting a job. Someone like Antonneous Clayton could fit that bill, possibly Ryan Johnson.
Mason and Harvin I think are making a roster. I could see them getting drafted. Some team is getting a steal with Mason. I think we’ll see a few more make rosters, too.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't foresee any of our guys getting drafted. It is a sad reality that most of these young guys don't realize. Only a very few have what it takes to make it to the NFL. Probably less than 2% of everyone who participates in Division One football. Based on what I have observed, so far this season, we will not have anyone make it on draft day(s). I'm sure 3 or 4 will be given free agent tryouts but that is about it.

Go Jackets!

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I think Owens will come back because he never RS and he dealt with injuries at the beginning of this year. So, I feel like he'll want a full and healthy year to make his case for the NFL.

I don't foresee any of our guys getting drafted. It is a sad reality that most of these young guys don't realize. Only a very few have what it takes to make it to the NFL. Probably less than 2% of everyone who participates in Division One football. Based on what I have observed, so far this season, we will not have anyone make it on draft day(s). I'm sure 3 or 4 will be given free agent tryouts but that is about it.

Go Jackets!
Your analysis is somewhat flawed

#1 The Pwr5 is the Top65 Teams from the biggest & best Conferences vs Div1A equaling abt 130 Teams Total(Pwr5 +G5)

#2 Once you're in the Pwr5 at a Top25 Program and earn a starting spot the Odds really do improve A LOT

#3 If you can accomplish all the criteria in #2 plus get thru your college Career without any major injuries, your odds improve even more

#4 there are only so many Ppl on Planet Earth with the size-speed profile to make it thru HS FB and earn a Pwr5 scholarship, once you're in College and work year-round at FB, you separate yourself even more and improve your odds

#5 The NFL Draft is roughly 224 players (7 rounds X 32 Teams), plus Free Agent signings where the Players get smaller bonuses, maybe 325 new players make the NFL Each yr when you add in Practice Squads and in season signings due to Injuries

#6 Between the Srs at the Pwr5 + the Jrs that declare early + the upper G5 Program Srs, the NFL considers maybe 2,000 total for those 300 -325 slots, and the NFL then culls that initial 2,000 down to about 1,200 serious candidates for those 300-325 slots

#7 the summary of all this is if you can start for a Pwr5 Program and avoid major injuries during your college Career you have roughly a 1 in 4 chance to make some money in the NFL, once in the NFL then it starts over again where you have stay injury free, earn a starting job etc

#8 that's not too bad as far as odds are concerned when you consider that the typical Business Major, Marketing Major, etc is competing for a $75 to $100K Job where there are 500 candidates in a Resume Database for each opening that are just as Qualified as you are

#9 The NCAA and their BS "shamateurism" tries to downplay the Free Minor League System that big time CFB is by listing the odds of all CFB players when considering the chances to make the NFL

There are maybe 1,100 NCAA Member Colleges + NAIA Colleges, so there might be 750 Colleges that have FB Programs, maybe 500?, anyway the Odds to make the NFL from a Pwr5 Program are a lot better than the odds that NCAA lists for all Colleges

Given the payoff at the end, might as well go to Bama-UGA-Ohio State-Clemson-GT if you have the chance coming out of HS

Is it Game time yet?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The seniors that are playing and not likely to be drafted may return unless they are tired of the grind and have job opportunities. Would like to keep Johnson another year but not likely unless he needs time to finish his masters and that's important to him.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The seniors that are playing and not likely to be drafted may return unless they are tired of the grind and have job opportunities. Would like to keep Johnson another year but not likely unless he needs time to finish his masters and that's important to him.

Your post got me curious...I know SA's in undergrad have to be making progress towards their degree by completing X hours per semester or some known measurable. Now that many are using the portal to get Master's degrees has the NCAA put in similar guidelines for grad students?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Your analysis is somewhat flawed

#1 The Pwr5 is the Top65 Teams from the biggest & best Conferences vs Div1A equaling abt 130 Teams Total(Pwr5 +G5)

#2 Once you're in the Pwr5 at a Top25 Program and earn a starting spot the Odds really do improve A LOT

#3 If you can accomplish all the criteria in #2 plus get thru your college Career without any major injuries, your odds improve even more

#4 there are only so many Ppl on Planet Earth with the size-speed profile to make it thru HS FB and earn a Pwr5 scholarship, once you're in College and work year-round at FB, you separate yourself even more and improve your odds

#5 The NFL Draft is roughly 224 players (7 rounds X 32 Teams), plus Free Agent signings where the Players get smaller bonuses, maybe 325 new players make the NFL Each yr when you add in Practice Squads and in season signings due to Injuries

#6 Between the Srs at the Pwr5 + the Jrs that declare early + the upper G5 Program Srs, the NFL considers maybe 2,000 total for those 300 -325 slots, and the NFL then culls that initial 2,000 down to about 1,200 serious candidates for those 300-325 slots

#7 the summary of all this is if you can start for a Pwr5 Program and avoid major injuries during your college Career you have roughly a 1 in 4 chance to make some money in the NFL, once in the NFL then it starts over again where you have stay injury free, earn a starting job etc

#8 that's not too bad as far as odds are concerned when you consider that the typical Business Major, Marketing Major, etc is competing for a $75 to $100K Job where there are 500 candidates in a Resume Database for each opening that are just as Qualified as you are

#9 The NCAA and their BS "shamateurism" tries to downplay the Free Minor League System that big time CFB is by listing the odds of all CFB players when considering the chances to make the NFL

There are maybe 1,100 NCAA Member Colleges + NAIA Colleges, so there might be 750 Colleges that have FB Programs, maybe 500?, anyway the Odds to make the NFL from a Pwr5 Program are a lot better than the odds that NCAA lists for all Colleges

Given the payoff at the end, might as well go to Bama-UGA-Ohio State-Clemson-GT if you have the chance coming out of HS

Is it Game time yet?
No where near 25% of power 5 players reach the NFL.
Actually no power 5 conference is at 25%. The SEC is at 24.7% the PAC is at around 12% . ACC falls in the middle. I’m sure we can cherry pick the top programs and find that they are above the 25% range but Then we could probably just go to rivals and 247 and find the same thing. Those who sign the highest rated classes also put the highest #s in the NFL.

GT_EE78

Banned
few if any, none are likely i'd think
it would take a unique situation for one to return
maybe there's someone who's near a degree?
Clayton is the only one who'd have realistic shot at becoming draftable if he had a great season.
Clayton and few others likely to get a shot by UDFA so that provides a deterrent to returning for those few

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Id expect most Seniors to move on like they would have, but I could be wrong. Most don’t have a future in football and are probably ready to get on to their next step.