How Important is GT's Bowl Streak?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the streak is real important. Some have commented that it doesn't mean much considering how much easier it is to get a bowl than it used to be. While that is certainly true, it has also gotten easier for everybody else too, and yet, we have the second longest streak. We haven't put the streak together in a vacuum, the entire landscape of CFB has been immersed in the same system.

I like what it says. We have been more consistent than most programs. That means something. With that said, we need to get back to winning the bowl games too!

Would I give up the streak for having had a few more conference titles? Sure. Championships trump streaks in my mind. Here is to doing both.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It didnt mean much to me until we are facing a 4th loss in a row and possibly 6 in a row. Or 5 out of 6.

All of a sudden it means a ton

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the streak has spoiled Tech fans rotten. True, we haven't been world beaters much, but we all just sorta expect that Tech will go to a bowl every year. We've been doing it so long that we don't have a good sense of just how rare it is to be that consistent. Think about it: we haven't had a really bad football team in almost 20 years. There are programs out there that would kill for that kind of consistency.

But we're used to it. If we miss a bowl bid this year - and we very well might - then, of course, the sky is falling and the seas have turned to flame. But … we'll live through it and come back with a humdinger of a team next year. That, sports fans, will be the year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not as big a deal to me as it appears to be to some others here. Yeah, it's nice, mostly for the extra practice time for the players....

I suppose it all comes down to the alternatives....is going to a bowl better than not going to a bowl? Sure, why wouldn't it be? Is it more important than the Georgia game? Nope, not by a mile. Would I trade a Playoff year for 2 or 3 bowl-less years...yup. All depends on what the alternatives are, see?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not only does it help a program with 35-40 Freshmen or Fr.-R., but recruiting as well. Think about what a true SA desires in a school? A quality education and a consistent, competitive athletic team. That gives them both immediately.

Then of course the other factors come in to play....