How GTSwarm thinks the offense will be this year..

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
compared to last year according to the poll results.

QB - 67.6% think the QB position will be BETTER
A Back - 47% think the A Back position will be the SAME, 31% said worse
B Back - 88% think that the B Backs will be BETTER...Nobody said worse
WR - 80% think the WR's will be BETTER
OL - 51.7 % said the OL will be BETTER this year, 41.4% said same

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When you break it up like you did, the offense seems to be better.

But, it is hard for me to say we will be better when thinking of the whole with a new OL, no run proven upcoming AB, and a first year starting QB. None of the before should point to better in an un-colored unbiased thought process.

Now can we be worse? Yes on the AB front for sure. There is no way we are worse at QB. Not that Vad was bad, but that Vad was not great and could not read the 3TO. The OL was beat up last year and many of the linemen playing injured or put of place.

I would have to lean slightly better, but not to the 2011 or 2012 level given the current data. I really think the potential to be as good as 2011 and 2012 is possible. If Custis, Laskey, JT, or Byerly turn out to be stars that can carry the O, then anything is possible. The OL may supernaturally gel and perform above all expectations. An AB may rise up from the ashes and burn down the field.

Hope springs eternal with possibility. We play the game to see who wins, not to prove who has already lost by some pessimistic logic.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Qb and ol are young and rated better or average, but ab is almost all seniors and rated low. . Maybe the ab will suprise. If custis shows strong then following year we could be good with a suprise ab to help Andrews.
If qb is a baller, all things are improved.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
There is no way we are worse at QB. Not that Vad was bad, but that Vad was not great and could not read the 3TO. The OL was beat up last year and many of the linemen playing injured or put of place.

I can think of a lot of ways we could be worse.
If JT continues to put the ball on the ground, then we will be much worse at QB.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I hope we are right we the exception of AB.

There are a couple of AB plays that were used effectively in the past that I did not see in 2013 or in the Spring Game. The counter with BB going one side and AB carrying back off the other tackle was used in the Nesbitt era and highly used to great effect by Eddie Lee Ivory in the P Rogers era. There is also the fake rocket toss/misdirection with guard pulling run by the AB. We saw this play for a long untouched TD by O Smith in the Kansas game a couple years ago. These two plays would give us a little more deception and get the good running ABs more in the offensive mix. Would also give us addional "safe" plays to run during the death march and not just rely on the BB and QB keep. It seems lately the only AB plays are TO pitch and rocket toss.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are a couple of AB plays that were used effectively in the past that I did not see in 2013 or in the Spring Game. The counter with BB going one side and AB carrying back off the other tackle was used in the Nesbitt era and highly used to great effect by Eddie Lee Ivory in the P Rogers era. There is also the fake rocket toss/misdirection with guard pulling run by the AB. We saw this play for a long untouched TD by O Smith in the Kansas game a couple years ago. These two plays would give us a little more deception and get the good running ABs more in the offensive mix. Would also give us addional "safe" plays to run during the death march and not just rely on the BB and QB keep. It seems lately the only AB plays are TO pitch and rocket toss.
I highly doubt coach has forgotten certain plays in his offense. Rather, I think he feels better about the chances for success with other plays based on personnel. When he has guys who can run those plays, he'll run them. Just because a certain play was successful with A, B and C guys in year X, doesn't mean it'll be successful with D, E and F guys in year Y.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
compared to last year according to the poll results.

QB - 67.6% think the QB position will be BETTER
A Back - 47% think the A Back position will be the SAME, 31% said worse
B Back - 88% think that the B Backs will be BETTER...Nobody said worse
WR - 80% think the WR's will be BETTER
OL - 51.7 % said the OL will be BETTER this year, 41.4% said same

yep---and of these polls I saw last yr ,upwards of 90% predicted we would have at least an 8 win season- and I was one of them

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
yep---and of these polls I saw last yr ,upwards of 90% predicted we would have at least an 8 win season- and I was one of them

It's the off-season, really what do you expect?

I would say the assessments above fair.

Personally I said QB - better, A Back - worse, B Back - better, WR - better and OL - same.

My expectations last year were 8 and 4. I had us beating UGA.

This year I am leaning toward predicting 8 again.

thwgjacket

I think the schedule sets up nicely for us to come together as a unit. Should (knock on wood) start 3-0. I think VT will be very beatable. If we can beat them and start 4-0 the confidence would be great. Then we get Miami at home, could be a fun game but I just don't see us beating them. But then the next 5 games are very winnable and I would argue that we should be favored in all of them. Decent chance we could be 9-1 when we see Clemson at home who loses a lot of play makers. Then of course UGA which we probably lose but I see 9-3 as very realistic with a chance at 10-2. Just an optimistic look.
Wofford is a trap game right out of the blocks- 6 wins are very possible, fewer with poor QB play.
Troll harder bro.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the schedule sets up nicely for us to come together as a unit. Should (knock on wood) start 3-0. I think VT will be very beatable. If we can beat them and start 4-0 the confidence would be great. Then we get Miami at home, could be a fun game but I just don't see us beating them. But then the next 5 games are very winnable and I would argue that we should be favored in all of them. Decent chance we could be 9-1 when we see Clemson at home who loses a lot of play makers. Then of course UGA which we probably lose but I see 9-3 as very realistic with a chance at 10-2. Just an optimistic look.

Troll harder bro.[/

I was probably a season ticket holder before you were conceived!