How GT can beat Clemson

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So I have been hearing talk about how playing Clemson on a short week stinks and to add on to it they had a cupcake to prepare for and we had vandy, but I think this actually might play to our favor. For our big time games we have this year I would pick a short week against Clemson than the others because they are arguably the best team we will play, hear me out now, I'll explain more.

Clemson lost a ton of talent to the NFL this past year, and guess what? It was most of their top guys! You have two DE's their top 2 safeties, their top CB, arguably their top LB, and a DT. That's SEVEN starters on D that they lost. Add this to them not having their top DE back with a foot injury (Austin Bryant), they also have two CB's that are out with knee injuries, and LB Boulware coming back from an ankle injury who if I'm not mistaken is their top LB. with knowing all this my question is, with Clemson having a short week with so many new faces having to learn how to stop the option, will they be disciplined enough to stop us? They don't have many guys that have had a significant amount of time playing against us, and we all know if you are not disciplined then we can put up a lot of points. They are going to have to learn a lot in a very short period of time because of the short week. Sure, they have already been preparing for us but after their first two games of the season they had a lot to work on instead of worrying about us. Imo, with them losing most of their secondary last year and having two injured, we should look good passing if we can give good protection against a good sized DL, passing should look good to our A backs as well because I'm not sure if boulware and their other LB's will be able to keep up with our A backs in coverage (they are bigger LB's). We might see a game like Saturday where we struggle to get the B back going but the outside is open.

On Offense they only lost 2 guy to the NFL their back up RB and a WR. They also have a OL out for the game I believe. Honestly I don't think this will affect them at all, but maybe on the OL, idk how good the guy is. Clemson has also struggled on offense so far this year, minus last week, but then again they have Watson so I won't be surprised at all if they look really good on offense.

If we can win the turnover battle let's say 3 to 1 or even 2 to 1 I say we win. Our offense looked really good this week against a good D, so hopefully that momentum keeps going, and with clemsons inexperience against the option (their players, coaches will have them coached well) idk if they will stay disciplined enough not to give up the big plays.

Just so some of y'all don't think I'm just way to excited, I'm just giving some examples of why we could win. I honestly could see this being a close game or either team wining by 2 or 3 scores. Oh let's don't forget we are playing at the one and only BDS!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
When they wbooped us last year, they got a lot of guys playing time against us.

That being said, I think CPJ has a real good idea how Venables will defend us, and this year I think we have the players to execute his counter.

I also think Roof knows how to counter their O. Last year, we were banged up on both sides of the ball before backups had playing time. This year, we're healthy. ... and angry

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
GT has nothing, and I mean nothing, to lose, other than a cross division ACC loss. Klimpsun is vying to get back to the title game, Louisville is coming to Death Valley next Saturday, and the BDS curse complete with white-out is in play. There will be a lot of pressure on them, but Dabo proved last year he can keep the team focused.

Let's hope GT can play to their full potential and secure the upset, again, in Atlanta.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I also think Roof knows how to counter their O.

I'd be real, real careful with that. Knowing it and stopping it are two different things.

If you told me, "Go cover Sammy Watkins. He can only run two routes, a Go or a 7-yard Comeback" I'd still give up 25 touchdowns and about 1700 yards receiving to him. Let's not fool ourselves: they have really, really good athletes, tough enough for anyone in the country to match up against.

We still have an issue with "putting our eyes where they need to be" but it got better against Vandy. I don't recall us giving up a huge play over the top which was my worry.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'd be real, real careful with that. Knowing it and stopping it are two different things.

If you told me, "Go cover Sammy Watkins. He can only run two routes, a Go or a 7-yard Comeback" I'd still give up 25 touchdowns and about 1700 yards receiving to him. Let's not fool ourselves: they have really, really good athletes, tough enough for anyone in the country to match up against.

We still have an issue with "putting our eyes where they need to be" but it got better against Vandy. I don't recall us giving up a huge play over the top which was my worry.

No doubt.

I think good D requires a good plan and players to execute it. I think, we'll see, our players are better this year than last. And, while I'm not convinced Roof schemes well every week, I think he's done well vs CU.

I compare it to how some otherwise good DCs have schemed against our O as if it were still the wishbone or just a set of individual plays rather than a system. Then you have Bud Foster who seems to understand what we're doing. I think Roof understands that O. I could be wrong.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
If you told me, "Go cover Sammy Watkins. He can only run two routes, a Go or a 7-yard Comeback" I'd still give up 25 touchdowns and about 1,700 yards receiving to him.

To be clear, that's a single game stat.

The reality is Clempson is going to get yards. They're going to make plays. We just have to limit the big ones like we did against Vandy and like others have pointed out, win the turnover battle and get off the field on 3rd down. Easier said than done; this is where Roof better earn his pay.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I believe that coach will continue to call plays AHEAD of schedule. Now that we have pass protection and we can pass to ab it opens so many plays to punish over aggressive defenses. .
Already have dvr set so I can rewatch.
This is going to be epic.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
None, I believe their coaches wouldn't lie about it. Also, that is the reason for scheduling lower level FCS teams after the first two weeks.
So their coaches said they did not prepare for SC state? Link? Also I could be wrong but they don't make their schedule so how would they know they were going to play us after a lower level FCS team?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So their coaches said they did not prepare for SC state? Link? Also I could be wrong but they don't make their schedule so how would they know they were going to play us after a lower level FCS team?

They requested it and knew they'd get it. It's not like they're GT.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is a rare case where our D-line's inability to generate much pass rush works in our favor because it keeps Watson contained. I wouldn't have them do any different, lol, Rush the passer just like we have been and hope our DBs cover well.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So I have been hearing talk about how playing Clemson on a short week stinks and to add on to it they had a cupcake to prepare for and we had vandy, but I think this actually might play to our favor. For our big time games we have this year I would pick a short week against Clemson than the others because they are arguably the best team we will play, hear me out now, I'll explain more.

Clemson lost a ton of talent to the NFL this past year, and guess what? It was most of their top guys! You have two DE's their top 2 safeties, their top CB, arguably their top LB, and a DT. That's SEVEN starters on D that they lost. Add this to them not having their top DE back with a foot injury (Austin Bryant), they also have two CB's that are out with knee injuries, and LB Boulware coming back from an ankle injury who if I'm not mistaken is their top LB. with knowing all this my question is, with Clemson having a short week with so many new faces having to learn how to stop the option, will they be disciplined enough to stop us? They don't have many guys that have had a significant amount of time playing against us, and we all know if you are not disciplined then we can put up a lot of points. They are going to have to learn a lot in a very short period of time because of the short week. Sure, they have already been preparing for us but after their first two games of the season they had a lot to work on instead of worrying about us. Imo, with them losing most of their secondary last year and having two injured, we should look good passing if we can give good protection against a good sized DL, passing should look good to our A backs as well because I'm not sure if boulware and their other LB's will be able to keep up with our A backs in coverage (they are bigger LB's). We might see a game like Saturday where we struggle to get the B back going but the outside is open.

On Offense they only lost 2 guy to the NFL their back up RB and a WR. They also have a OL out for the game I believe. Honestly I don't think this will affect them at all, but maybe on the OL, idk how good the guy is. Clemson has also struggled on offense so far this year, minus last week, but then again they have Watson so I won't be surprised at all if they look really good on offense.

If we can win the turnover battle let's say 3 to 1 or even 2 to 1 I say we win. Our offense looked really good this week against a good D, so hopefully that momentum keeps going, and with clemsons inexperience against the option (their players, coaches will have them coached well) idk if they will stay disciplined enough not to give up the big plays.

Just so some of y'all don't think I'm just way to excited, I'm just giving some examples of why we could win. I honestly could see this being a close game or either team wining by 2 or 3 scores. Oh let's don't forget we are playing at the one and only BDS!

Clemson is now a honest to goodness football factory. Maybe not quite elite but at the point where they can lose starters to graduation, NFL, injury what have you and just plug in another 4 or 5 star. To be sure, Nobody and I mean Nobody gets in their head quite the same way we do. If this game is close in the fourth quarter, I would bet we will win. It just seems like it always comes to that. They are capable of blowing us right off the field. Just like they were in 2008, 2011, and other times. The key is to weather the storm, control the clock, limit their possessions, and don't give up big plays. Right now, I think they are better than FSU and capable of beating Louisville. That said, we have as good a chance as anyone of upsetting their little red wagon. It should be a good one. Let our guys play loose, Georgia Tech triple option football and they can do it.