How do you feel about the Duke game?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect a blowout win over Dook and climbing from #34 to #33. (After dominating Bobbie Byedon's Fightin' Byes, we went from #35 to #34.)

YMMV

ToddM

Bothers me to see Tech fans taking other teams for granted. Duke is a lot better, I don't think they are up to Tech yet but they have ability.

If I were a coach I would blow up on any player who was predicting some of these lop sided sores coming out of our fan base.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Bothers me to see Tech fans taking other teams for granted. Duke is a lot better, I don't think they are up to Tech yet but they have ability.

If I were a coach I would blow up on any player who was predicting some of these lop sided sores coming out of our fan base.

umm, you, umm, know that we're not players, right? If I were Saban, I'd be bothered if my players were taking anybody for granted. I'd also be bothered if the fanbase didn't expect us to beat Vandy handily. Different rules, imo. I'm predicting a big win for us because I don't think our players are taking the game for granted.

ToddM

Ok AE,

I know who the players are. The point is NO Tech fan should be taking ANYone for granted. But. If you feel so inclined go for it. Tell me this, who should have won in 2003 ? What was your prediction then ?

By the way, I love Tech and always have but if you ever confuse Tech football prowess with Alabama's it may be time to put down the Black Label.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think we blow them out pretty good. Maybe 42-14 or so. And, I hope our players feel the same way. It wouldn't mean they were taking them for granted or weren't taking the game seriously. It would mean they're confident and feel that if they go out and GATA, they should blow them out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ok AE,

I know who the players are. The point is NO Tech fan should be taking ANYone for granted. But. If you feel so inclined go for it. Tell me this, who should have won in 2003 ? What was your prediction then ?

By the way, I love Tech and always have but if you ever confuse Tech football prowess with Alabama's it may be time to put down the Black Label.

Hey, we disagree about what it means to be a fan of GT. That's fine. I think that NO Tech fan should reach back a decade to bolster the idea that we might lose to Duke. I think that NO Tech fan should be think that fans of other programs like Bama can expect their teams to win big against lesser opponents but we can't. I think that NO Tech fan should confuse expectation with how the game should go by fans to the attitude of the players. I think that NO Tech fan should confuse expectation of how badly we should beat a team by the players with the attitude that they can do it without playing focused football.

imo, if our team doesn't go out thinking that they can beat Duke badly this Saturday, they won't go out thinking that they can beat georgie at all on the last Saturday.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow

Seriously??!! You're bothered that Tech fans think our team will blow out Duke? I would be more bothered if Tech fans did not expect to blow out Duke. By the way, fans expecting a blow out does not equal players taking a game for granted.

ToddM

Ok, somehow I have managed to be cornered into an anti Tech fan who thinks we have no right expect wins.

For the record I said that I DID NOT think duke was up to our level yet, so that should translate into the fact that I think Tech will win.

The only way to defend my position is to point out failures of expectations in the past. Since taking any team or person for granted would have to based on past experience it's an argument that I will not try to support. It is sufficient to say The facts make it very clear, any fan who feels comfortable assuming tech will win 50-0 or some of these completely lop sided scores, hasn't been a fan long or is wishing very hard.

CPJ would never encourage such thought in or around his team. It's a thought process that invites disaster. With that said this has now become a different subject all together. My original thought was that we should not take any team for granted, now I find myself in the position of defending my loyalty to Tech. I have been an avid fan for 40 years, I have learned that AS A FAN caution is the better part of valor.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Todd - I think folks are splitting hairs and reading between the lines too much. Two weeks is too long to go without GT football in the fall.

For what it's worth I felt more comfortable heading into the Miami game last year than I do about the Duke game this year. I'm hoping that's largely because I haven't seen us play a real game yet and not because I'm looking at the spread and thinking Vegas knows something. We were 14 point favorites vs. Miami. We are 8 point favorites vs Duke. Something doesn't feel quite right.

Similarly we were 6-0 two years ago when the wheels fell off in Charlottesville. Most folks seemed to be supremely confident prior to the game, and we were only 7 point favorites.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Todd, you are just coming down hard on the cautious "fool me once, fool me twice" side of a fan's pregame psychology. I suspect you will watch the game with real jitters until a victory is beyond doubt. Others come down hard on the optimistic, confident "we got this" world-beaters side of fan psychology. They are more likely to be relaxed as the game progresses and probably partying it up. However, they are much more likely to end up crying in their hat like a Clemson fan if the team actually loses.

The in-fighting comes when a proponent of one psychological state expects or demands it of other fans, and you honestly picked that fight yourself by saying you get bothered by it.

For my part I tend to watch any game with jitters until it is beyond doubt so am more like you, but it doesn't bother me if other fans take the "we got this" route.

I see Tech beating Duke in a big way, or in a close game, but only possibly losing in a very close game. So I go with Tech 35 Duke 21.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Anyone heading up to Durham? I live in Charlotte so it'll be an easy trip up there. Never been to a game up there so looking forward to seeing what CPJ keeps referring to when he says it's a hard place to play. :D

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone heading up to Durham? I live in Charlotte so it'll be an easy trip up there. Never been to a game up there so looking forward to seeing what CPJ keeps referring to when he says it's a hard place to play. :D

I can tell you what he means.

It's like a highschool stadium. The crowd is quiet. The locker rooms are a mile away. Playing there lulls one to sleep.

ToddM

Cuse and Bruce,

Sorry, I get both of your points, I really didn't mean to start a fight. Bruce you are correct, I devoutly watch every game Tech plays, I even endure ESPN 3 when I have to. I also bite my fingernails until its over. This may cause me anxiety but I also think this is why I am addicted to Tech football . Its also why people sky dive.

Big B, You can go back and look at the years past and if you are honest you can pick out the games that support my view point that being humble is the best approach, like I said I will not list every loss Tech has had in which they should have won. Duke themselves have absolutely nothing to do with it, it's the fact that I was taught to be humble. Y'all do what you like.

I will ask you guys this though, why do you hate Ga. ? Assuming you do.

I hate them because of their obnoxious fans. Barking and bragging that they should beat everyone. I see some of these post in the same vain. It is what it is. I apologize if I offended anyone, it was not intended. Like I said I was raised to be humble.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, there is nothing humble about coming on a fan forum and lecturing others about how to be fans. It also seems weird that you didn't say Bama and Bama fans should also be humble but suggested I was claiming GT was already comparable to them in football prowess. It seems to me that you've confused humility with feelings of inferiority.

That someone who enters a discussion by attacking the fanhood of others would then play the virtuous victim boggles my mind. FWIW, I don't like georgie because of who they are not what they do ,

ToddM

AE if you would bother reading anything I posted you would be hard pressed to speak to me about lecturing anyone. You seem to have been the one with your female parts smashed, crying like a baby.

I am on a fan site joining in a discussion which I did not start. If you had any reading comprehension you would have understood the first post I made.

I will repeat it slower for you and on your level, I think Tech will win ! Do you understand ( i agree with you ) but ,Nobody who is close to football and has a clue, pronounces that their team is so good they will enjoy a cake walk. NOBODY ! I don't care if we are playing the school of the blind ! If you are a fan or a player.

You took what I said the wrong way. It's that simple and YOU have been bitchin about it since I posted it.

Please show me where I questioned yours or anyone else's fan hood ! I need to see anything that I said that implied or directly questioned whether you are a true fan or not. My point was that spouting off about how bad you are going to beat someone is not right. It is material for locker room postings for the other team, be it from those on our team or from the fan base, no team likes to be underestimated and disrespected. Therefore I referenced Ga. Now if you are of the opinion that Ga fans are not obnoxious and therefore further incentivize their opponents, well you are the 1 in 100 who would dare say that.

Maybe times have changed and maybe I am in the dark ages but this is the first year ever that I have read so many posts, from Tech fans, in which they openly proclaim the *** whipping their team is about to deliver, that my friend is what Ga fans do !

Now I know somehow you will read this and decide I am questioning your loyalty, you will be wrong once again. I may however be starting to question your comprehension level.

There is a difference between poking at a friend who supports the competition and in going on a website just to proclaim how bad you think the beat down will be. It's called boasting . Get it ?

Now I will shut up if you will, but don't call me out for lecturing. neither my original 4 line post nor its contents questioned your loyalty, you may wish to review your responses if you are looking for a lecture.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Todd, please read your last post, pretending that you are me. Pay attention to phrases like, "If you had any reading comprehension," "I will repeat it slower" and "Get it?" Ask yourself, does this sound like a person who values humility or a person who likes to lecture others and put them in their place? It may just be that you've been misinterpreting the posting of other people as boasting when they're just happy fans expressing their opinions.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sooooo about the Duke game, the closer we get to game time the more I feel that this should be a game we control from the start.

If we're truly going to return to the upper echelon of the ACC we can't be eeking out victories over Duke. As improved as they are they still lack the depth of talent to hang with us.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
If this team has to legitimately worry about the Duke outcome, then the bigger goals are almost all going to be out of reach.

This is the easiest of ACC games we're going to get. If I can't feel confident about beating Duke, then this season isn't going to be very fun.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
"I just want to know one thing: will those dirty playing, dirty coached, chop blocking bums even get one flag?"

""You do not understand football. Let me explain it to you. Cut block equals yada yada. Chop block equals yada yada. I'm soft and jowly but talk a good game. Our coach is a punk but he's our punk. I have an inferiority complex b/c I live in a football hotbed but my team is not in the SEC and we are not even the most beloved team in our own city and state. We'll beat you b/c we are awesome. You do not understand football like I do."

Sincerely,

Nearly every GT Fan we get stopping by TDD"
I laffed. :ROFLMAO: