How do you feel about the Duke game?

GT_Johnnybodkin

Jolly Good Fellow
Not as worried now that their QB broke his collar bone. I also think that our defense will be well-prepared for this offense giving their familiarity with the option. Maybe I'm wrong. Idk.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel good about Duke. They are not a gimme game anymore, but I do think that CPJ is doing a good job of stressing that Duke should be taken seriously. At the end of the day, I think that we are a more talented, experienced team. I'm excited to watch this one on Saturday.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I expect us to win by 24 or more.
We have good practice against the option and have an improved QB/defense. Oh and our O-line should handle their Dline.

I expect us to get a turnover or two as well.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
An inexperienced QB running any sort of option play is going to give us a turnover or 2.

Who is our scout team QB? If it's Byerly, our scout team has a better QB that can run better option plays than Duke. We should be fully prepared on defense.

I look for Vad to go off in Durham. If it were better competition I'd be worried about him trying to do too much, but I think he could do w/e he wants and get the win.

I think Duke will score first and that'll be their only score after CTR chews out the defense.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Will they still be looking to run the option against us? With their starter out, I'm not so sure what we will see out of their offense this week. Anyways, I expect a better challenge than Elon, but a solid 17-24 point win for GT.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I plan on being there on Saturday. Will try to be loud as possible since CPJ said it's a hard place to play just because it's so quiet and not very exciting.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
An inexperienced QB running any sort of option play is going to give us a turnover or 2.

Who is our scout team QB? If it's Byerly, our scout team has a better QB that can run better option plays than Duke. We should be fully prepared on defense.

I look for Vad to go off in Durham. If it were better competition I'd be worried about him trying to do too much, but I think he could do w/e he wants and get the win.

I think Duke will score first and that'll be their only score after CTR chews out the defense.

Ty Griffin is the Scout team Qb this week.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

The QB Brandon Connette is a Rs Jr and was 14-21 for a 198 yards with 2 TDs last week..also ran 14 times for 31 yards.

He has not played a ton though.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Some posts from the Duke Scout site...A few projected GT winning. Here is what the others said.

"going to be tough game to say the least. Hopefully lots of people show up to give Duke a nice home field advantage. If the ball bounces our way a few times we could eke out a win. One things for sure: we will have to play better than we did today."

"We're due. Haven't played really well for 4 quarters vs GT in some time. Like I said, we're due"

"win the turnover battle..win the game"

"
Tech will be a huge challenge for the defense, but I'm anxious to see what we can do on offense. This game could really move quickly as both team will run the ball a lot.

We have to play better up front than we did last year, otherwise, they will slow bleed us to death."

"Winnable game, even without Boone. Connette is capable and experienced. He's going to surprise people. Our running game is better. And our defense is much-approved.
We can do it."

"To have a chance to win this game, GT has to turn over the ball. I do not think we have a realistic chance at stopping them on offense...so the next best thing is that they stop themselves.
And although I was encouraged by BC's play against a soft Memphis defense, I am not expecting the same thing against GT. I would love it if it happens, but he is not a shotgun pick apart QB...so we will have to boot, waggle, run, run, run and play action this game if we are going to score."

"Good news for Duke is they've gotten the offseason rust off with NCCU, and won by two 2tds in a game were the offense was particularly bad, on the road. When GT struggles its almost always earlier in the year.

As with every game with ChopBlock Tech, I just want to get out without injury, the win is secondary"

"I'm cautiously optimistic because the defensive line and linebackers are healthy. We must stop the run. Kelby Brown being back is a big plus. Along the D-Line, Bruce is healthy, Foxx is healthy, Anunike is healthy, plus Carlos Wray, A.J. Wolf and Jonathan Woodruff are contributing. The front six must have a strong performance for us to win. This is a big game."

"I dont think they will beat us by 2-3 touchdowns. Our defensive line and LB corp has been solid. Cockrell and Cash have been making plays at the line of scrimmage as well. We just need our DL to hold up the whole game. Our offense needs to take as much time off the clock as their offense for us to have a chance."

"i like our chances.. defense is better than a year ago..patterson, who folks were worried about, had a strong game at corner..we have strong, quick defensive ends, and kelby in the middle, all important in stopping an option attack.. i think people are underestimating connette a bit here..i think he can get the job done..it's not like he's a newbie being thrown into the fire..and i think cut will have him well prepared this week..i look for an upset"

"I just want to know one thing: will those dirty playing, dirty coached, chop blocking bums even get one flag?"

""You do not understand football. Let me explain it to you. Cut block equals yada yada. Chop block equals yada yada. I'm soft and jowly but talk a good game. Our coach is a punk but he's our punk. I have an inferiority complex b/c I live in a football hotbed but my team is not in the SEC and we are not even the most beloved team in our own city and state. We'll beat you b/c we are awesome. You do not understand football like I do."

Sincerely,

Nearly every GT Fan we get stopping by TDD"

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
As much as I would like to say Duke was one game away from the acc championship last year and you all are overlooking them, I think tech wins by 21 even though the duke qb plays fairly well.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
After reading the dookies' comments I hope Tech just goes out and lays an *** whipping. I know I'm being mean spirited and, right now, I don't care. Dookies can only wish they had Tech's heritage( yes I know about Wallace Wade, etc) before they spout. Here's a school that was so fortunate to hire Coach K at a time when he was an unknown quality and that one hire alone put Duke on the map, sports wise. I am a big fan of Cutcliffe but come on, dookies, have a team that actually does something before running your mouths.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
I see us winning by more than 21. It's not even close in the 2nd half and Thomas gets a ton of clean up time. Duke may be improved in many areas but this GT team is pretty good and very under the radar..

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
HAHA, oh Duke.

I watched the Memphis game. Their defense probably is a little better this year. They still have a ways to go executing their run game and their QB's aren't as accurate as Renfree or Lewis executing their passing game. Both of them aren't experienced and showed questionable ability to read the defense. I wouldn't be surprised if we get 2 picks this game disguising coverages like I saw at times against Elon.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
It is really difficult to say, based on Elon, but I wouldn't be surprised by a score to the tune of 38-17, or more. I can't see our defense giving up more than 17 and I can see our offense scoring more than 38. But then again I'm extremely biased. And am basing these projections off of pretty much nothing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think we roll early. Their backup QB has played other positions including some "wildcat" QB in the past but has never had to be "the guy".

Coming in on the fly against Memphis isn't the same as having the pressure of being the man for a full week of practice and having the opposing team (presumably) scheme to stop the offense with your probable tendencies in mind (again, I'm assuming that's what we do).

I guess it shouldn't surprise us to see the collective football ignorance of their fan base. All they care about is basketball.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Last time Connette played QB against us:

He'll have a chip on his shoulder, but I don't think it'll help

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In 2012, Memphis was 113 in Total Offense and 51 in Total D. That was an improvement from 116 in Total O and 117 in Total D in 2011. We may not have been happy with only winning 7 games last season, but that's their total wins for the last three seasons, 2010-12. Memphis is not a good team, and Duke did not put them away early.

We may have only played Elon, but we did do to Elon what we were supposed to. We scored a touchdown on every drive but one, punting that one time. We gave up allowed no points, had three interceptions and recovered a fumble. Compare it to last year's game against Presbyterian. In that game, we punted three times, fumbled the ball away three times, turned it over on downs once, and kicked a field goal. We had one interception and recovered two fumbles.

And as weak as Elon is, when they played a Division II opponent the next week, they beat WV Weslyan 49-7. Duke's opening opponent, NCCU, played Division II St. Augustine's and got taken to two overtimes, winning 23-20, the next week.

While our game against Elon doesn't mean that we're going to be world beaters, we did take care of business in a way that Duke has not yet shown. We boatrace 'em 42-7, but it won't be that close.