How do you feel about our special teams?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Kicker - Harrison Butker
Punter - Ryan Rodwell
Long Snapper - Sean Tobin
Punt Return - Jamal Golden (Smelter)
Kick Return - Jamal Golden and any pick of Andrews, Griffin, Smelter.

I think that is a fairly solid group overall.

Harrison Butker showed last year that he has a very good leg...and again showed that in the Spring game this year. I look for him to be very solid.

Ryan Rodwell I am a little skeptical on...I haven't seen too much from him yet.

Like Tobin at LS.

Of course Golden is a playmaker...and Smelter did a heck of a job filling in last year.

Excited about whoever pairs up with Golden on kickoffs.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What about lil' Autry at KR? I'm really curious to see if HB takes it to another level or has the sophomore slump.

If Autry beats out those guys as a true Freshman then he is really going to be a good one.

I really expect him to make a jump...he practices more than almost anybody on the team.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is the best ST Unit in years. Having a real kicker and a big threat at KR makes a huge difference in games. In college football ST are far and away the most underrated part of the game.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really like the list of ST playmakers you posted, but I am just as pleased with some of the other guys on those units. I think the depth of athletic LBs we have is huge on kick and punt coverage, plus IMO we have upgraded our athleticism in the secondary in a big way, and several of those guys are big playmakers in coverage. I remember my first big impression of Milton came watching him on STs, and I think a guy like Qua or the Austins could crack the depth on STs and make a similar impression. I'm pumped about this phase!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love our special teams. LOL, I had started to write up a thread that was going to ask" Will Special Teams Be Our Best Phase of the Game Again This Year?"

Using the Football Outsiders FEI (Fremeau Efficiency Rating) our ST were the highest ranked phase of the game (22nd) which was better than the O or the D. But ST is really several independent parts (FG kicking performance is independent of punt returning performance).

We lost Poole for punting and Walkowsky for coaching, but otherwise should be better this year. But that is only an opinion. What can be shown is that we have been getting better. I think there are several identifiable reasons - better 1-80 talent, playing starters as appropriate, special teams emphasis including coach, scholarships for kickers, ....... I'll post more later...,....

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Over the last few years it has been my considered opinion that we have improved the level of athletic talent on the roster. The "number 1 thru 8" may still not have been where we wanted it, but 78 through 85 has definitely improved. On special teams is where you are likely to see the fruits of this situation. I agree with everybody's opinion of the return guys and kickers etc, but 2/3 of the equation is the cover guys and blockers. When you have guys, like Milton and Snoddy (and a host of others), who are crazy fast and athletic, while still having trouble cracking the starting line up, it bodes very well for STs. I am confident our cover guys will get down the field in good order and make tackles deep. A lot of the focus on the success of the STs is placed on the kickers and return guys. They are important for sure. If a kicker slumps there isn't a lot a cover guy or blocker can do to help him. I get that. We seem to have good guys in place or returning from injury. I see no reason why STs can't be a major strength.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Kicker - Harrison Butker
Punter - Ryan Rodwell
Long Snapper - Sean Tobin
Punt Return - Jamal Golden (Smelter)
Kick Return - Jamal Golden and any pick of Andrews, Griffin, Smelter.

I think that is a fairly solid group overall.

Harrison Butker showed last year that he has a very good leg...and again showed that in the Spring game this year. I look for him to be very solid.

Ryan Rodwell I am a little skeptical on...I haven't seen too much from him yet.

Like Tobin at LS.

Of course Golden is a playmaker...and Smelter did a heck of a job filling in last year.

Excited about whoever pairs up with Golden on kickoffs.
If Rodwell blows it, Butker would prob be a solid option

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We have a good history with punters so we may be alright there. I don’t think Rodwell has the strongest leg in the world but from what I’ve seen he at least gets some good hangtime.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Really like Butker. One thing that worries me however is it seems he starts his approach a split second early. It may just be how he's most comfortable, but it almost seems like he has to wait for the ball to get there. He's a two-stepper as well so that should already give him an advantage in getting the ball off quick. I was at the Duke game this past year and it seemed to have been why he got a kick blocked. I realize I'm nitpicking because he is really good, but am I the only one who notices/worries about the early approach?

Also, Chris Milton also deserves praise for ST. I'd be surprised if we didn't improve this year unless Rodwell is a letdown (Poole was really under-appreciated last year).

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the new ST coach will slow HB down. I think he'll benefit from the new ST coach and another point of view.

I was never clear on the reasons for Walkowski's departure. Is there enough distance from the event that someone can clue me in? I for the most part liked the job he did (at least on the field).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We have a good history with punters so we may be alright there. I don’t think Rodwell has the strongest leg in the world but from what I’ve seen he at least gets some good hangtime.

With the great punt returners we face I prefer the hangtime (over distance) to give us better coverage opportunity. Rodwell will be fine. Our biggest ST weakness has been KO coverage. I hope our new ST coach loads the coverage with speed and good tackling LBs and DBs.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Three years ago, ST were a train wreck. Two years ago, Defense was a train wreck. The offensive output was fairly consistent during that time.

ST and Defense really put the Offense in some bad field position and game situations limiting what it could do. Offensively we were forced out of our game; having to play catch-up, gambling more, grinding less. Probably pretty amazing that the offensive output and game results stayed reasonably level.

An old guy I worked for when I was a young engineer told me once after I had screwed up, "The sin is not in getting the crabs, the sin is in keeping the crabs!" By that measure, CPJ has done well to address the ST and Defense, and get them to where I think they will be solid and win a game or two for us this year. No doubt, CPJ's to blame for them getting in the ditch (by trying to coach ST himself and by hiring Groh), but you have to say he's done what had to be done to fix the problem. I suspect the attention he has had to spend on those two teams has limited the time he had to spend on the O, especially hurtful last year when he tried to adapt it to VL. Having a steadier hand at DC, a reliable FG kicker, experienced and talented return men, and more athleticism/better recruiting on both teams is no small accomplishment and a testament to hard work, a good plan, and execution of the plan. In other words, good management. Yes, I'm a glass half full guy.

I suspect the comments we are reading about getting back to basics on the TO is in the same vein. Better ST and D translates into more offensive opportunities. If they are opportunities to more fully use the TO (like 4th qtr death marches), then offensive output should surge. With manageable injuries, I think that means 10 wins.