How do you feel about our DT's this year?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Thing about Gotsis is that he is about 25 years old already. He could go pro after this year I think .... It will all depend on the round he is drafted. So I don't expect Gotsis to be with us next year since I think he is going to have a great year.

So 2015 season will be interesting on the DL .......

I believe Gotsis is 22-23
I also think he is gone after the season.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I believe Gotsis is 22-23
I also think he is gone after the season.
You are correct about the age range sir.
However, I am not connected but I have asked this question multiple times and no one believes he will bolt. I could see him leaving if he was getting a 1st-2nd round projection which would be awesome because that would mean he would have had an amazing 2014 season.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this is a great group of guys and not an area we need to be concerned unless we start getting banged up.

SDE is still my biggest worry on defense this season.

On offense the BB position worries me if Laskey gets hurt.

But my biggest worry is the QB position.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Adam is 21, he'll turn 22 in September. If he was projected as a 1-2 round pick, he'd would had a helluva 2014 season and should go. I just think he'll be back for '15 not because of a lack of performance but simply to have one more season to establish himself as a possible 1-2 round pick.
I would add to our points above that he needs to keep adding muscle. He added some more this off-season but he needs to keep adding quality mass without giving up his speed/quickness.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you guys are being a little bit generous about Adam's talent level/draft stock. He's a really nice player and a key guy to our success this year. But it's not like he dominated last year. I don't remember him being THAT disruptive last year. He wasn't All-Conference last year. I hope he continues to improve and be a force but there have been DL that have come to Tech that were difference makers and All-conference players that either didn't get drafted or were 7th round picks. Adamm Oliver, Daryl Richard, Darrell Roberson and Joe Anoai all come to a mind. I don't think Gotsis is as good as these guys. Maybe he'll get there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you guys are being a little bit generous about Adam's talent level/draft stock. He's a really nice player and a key guy to our success this year. But it's not like he dominated last year. I don't remember him being THAT disruptive last year. He wasn't All-Conference last year. I hope he continues to improve and be a force but there have been DL that have come to Tech that were difference makers and All-conference players that either didn't get drafted or were 7th round picks. Adamm Oliver, Daryl Richard, Darrell Roberson and Joe Anoai all come to a mind. I don't think Gotsis is as good as these guys. Maybe he'll get there.

I was being generous but largely because Adam has the physical ability and really progressed in technique last year especially towards the end of the season. Adam will play all he is capable of playing this year most likely, so he'll get plenty of experience.

Mostly, I'm still stung by Josh Heddinger leaving the baseball team after his So year for only $100K. So I pay attention to age now too.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Gotsis is a real comer but until Green proves he is more than "hope for",he will be doubleteamed always.The others are completely unproven this yr(maybe ok next).
The best thing about the group is they are more dependable than the DEs which could be really hurting if Whitehead doesn't rip off the roof.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the talent is there for DT to be a strength, but it will depend on Green staying healthy.

When Green's wheels are under him, he has shown himself to be every bit the player we thought he would be; i.e. a potential all conference DT. The difficulty is that his injuries in the past probably make it more likely that he will aggrevate one of them going forward. The level of that probability will be a major factor in determining our DL success next year, imho. A healthy Green means that nobody will be able to double-up Gotsis consistently, especially on running downs. With one of the others in there that becomes more questionable.

I sure do hope that Shawn is able to stay healthy this year. We don't have another player on the team who has shown more pure grit and determination in working to get back on the field. Many another player would have hung it up or mailed it in after a second round of knee injuries. Not him. He deserves an injury free year and I hope he finally gets it. Playing next to a pretty good country DT like Gotsis makes that more likely, I think.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I think the talent is there for DT to be a strength, but it will depend on Green staying healthy.

When Green's wheels are under him, he has shown himself to be every bit the player we thought he would be; i.e. a potential all conference DT. The difficulty is that his injuries in the past probably make it more likely that he will aggrevate one of them going forward. The level of that probability will be a major factor in determining our DL success next year, imho. A healthy Green means that nobody will be able to double-up Gotsis consistently, especially on running downs. With one of the others in there that becomes more questionable.

I sure do hope that Shawn is able to stay healthy this year. We don't have another player on the team who has shown more pure grit and determination in working to get back on the field. Many another player would have hung it up or mailed it in after a second round of knee injuries. Not him. He deserves an injury free year and I hope he finally gets it. Playing next to a pretty good country DT like Gotsis makes that more likely, I think.

yep, lots of wishing and hoping on the Def this yr I'm afraid

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't feel very good about the d line at all including DT. Losing guys in the two deep and maybe even starters is especially tragic for us. We usually have a good enough front line to compete with anybody but the depth is where we suffer. Kitchen and Aiken were ahead of gamble and kallon for a reason. Now those two will get playing Time handed to them without earning it. maybe they'll step up but its a big question mark. Same at de where we also lost two probable starters. Huge blows. May be the biggest off season personnel losses since flunk gate.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't feel very good about the d line at all including DT. Losing guys in the two deep and maybe even starters is especially tragic for us. We usually have a good enough front line to compete with anybody but the depth is where we suffer. Kitchen and Aiken were ahead of gamble and kallon for a reason. Now those two will get playing Time handed to them without earning it. maybe they'll step up but its a big question mark. Same at de where we also lost two probable starters. Huge blows. May be the biggest off season personnel losses since flunk gate.

Kitchen and Akins weren't ahead of Gamble or Kallon.

Especially Gamble..he has always been first off the bench this Spring.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Kitchen and Akins weren't ahead of Gamble or Kallon.

Especially Gamble..he has always been first off the bench this Spring.
Kitchens was first off the bench last season (along with Green when he wasn't hurt). Gamble was hurt most of the spring so I don't see any conclusions to be drawn from that. And it's been continually said that kallon is behind pretty much everyone. Commissiong is one to be hopeful about based on reports, but going into his third season he still hasn't cracked the 2-deep for some reason.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Kitchens was first off the bench last season (along with Green when he wasn't hurt). Gamble was hurt most of the spring so I don't see any conclusions to be drawn from that. And it's been continually said that kallon is behind pretty much everyone. Commissiong is one to be hopeful about based on reports, but going into his third season he still hasn't cracked the 2-deep for some reason.

Did you miss the post Spring depth chart?

The two deep after Spring practice had Kallon and Gamble on the second team both ahead of Kitchens.

And check again on Commissiong... he's only going into his second year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Crossing fingers on both hands and including good Dline play this year in my daily prayers ;) if we do manage to get solid play from the Dline this year...we will all be happy heading into November I think.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Did you miss the post Spring depth chart?

The two deep after Spring practice had Kallon and Gamble on the second team both ahead of Kitchens.

And check again on Commissiong... he's only going into his second year.
I didn't mean to type third year for commissiong. Don't know why I thought second and typed third. But still we've heard great reports on him, but if he really is a great player it seems he would have made a move up the depth chart. Not saying he won't end up a nice player just saying for this year he isn't as good as the others yet based on the depth chart and that isn't saying much.

I don't see how gamble and kallon moved ahead of kitchens in the spring unless the coaches already knew kitchens was on his last legs. Gamble was hurt almost the entire time and kallon showed nothing. At least kitchens made a few plays last year and in the spring game. I hope I'm wrong and it makes me much more hopeful to hear your optimism for this group.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As far as I'm concerned, I'll be more comfortable with our depth on the DL when we don't have a starter with less than 3 years on campus and the backups don't have the word freshman associated with them in any way. I want another DL that has a NFL-caliber DE having to wait until his senior year to start.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
As far as I'm concerned, I'll be more comfortable with our depth on the DL when we don't have a starter with less than 3 years on campus and the backups don't have the word freshman associated with them in any way. I want another DL that has a NFL-caliber DE having to wait until his senior year to start.
You mean like that guy in your avatar?