How do you feel about our DT's this year?

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
D. Commissiong was a beast in college and a big get for us in recruiting. Kallon was a big get, too, but a project. DC was not a project.

Not gonna argue with this but we still don't know if DC is gonna be any good at this level. He still hasn't played a snap and he's a RS freshman. He's been suspended for a couple games so who knows when/if he'll come into his own and be a force. One thing is for sure. We need a talent like him to finally pan out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think Gotsis is probably still a little too raw to jump to the NFL but if he has a huge season that could change. I think there is little arguing he is an elite DT though. Maybe my definition of elite is different than y'alls. Some think Suh is elite and litte else is. I think all conference is elite.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I am more concerned about both DE than both DT.
I'm with you on this. I wasn't worried until we lost JHD.I like Freeman a lot but I don't think he's ready to play yet especially from a size standpoint. I think our DT's need the benefit of having good DE's to be most effective and I'm not sure we have that.

Maybe Whitehead can make me feel more confident but I haven't really seen him play. I probably have more confidence in Stargell than most people but he's also very unproven. I think our DE depth is much more of a concern than our DT depth and I think that will ultimately affect our DT performance.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
My fear is that Gostis will get double teamed, and no one else will be able to beat the single match ups. We really need the other DT to step up and make some plays.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We should quit playing D if one of our DTs can get a constant double team we still cannot get pressure with 4.

On the other hand, our LBs will have fun blitzing with a free rush
And I expect 5 will be coming most of the time. The question will be, which five?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We should quit playing D if one of our DTs can get a constant double team we still cannot get pressure with 4.

On the other hand, our LBs will have fun blitzing with a free rush

I agree. In the past we did not have enough muscle in the middle to demand a double team. If we can tie up 4 with 2 Roof will have a party in the opposing teams backfield.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For you guys who understand the nuances, "Is it easier to coach up an athlete to play DT or DE?".

I think DT is more natural talent (size, strength and speed with some technique) and DE is more technique. But that's just an impression based on HS football.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am pulling for Hunt Days. He was raw at DE in the spring game as might be expected for a position change.

Freeman seemed to have a motor and get to the play... even if he left the back side open at times. I think Freeman is going to be a good DE and we have a few games at the star of the season to get him seasoned.

Whitehead is our best hope of having a solid experienced DE.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
With Stargel and Menocal at SDE, we're going to have some pretty athletic guys there. I remember one play in the T-Day game where Stargel pulled around and rushed from between the DTs. I'm hopeful that we're going to be able to do some pretty aggressive stuff on D

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
With Stargel and Menocal at SDE, we're going to have some pretty athletic guys there. I remember one play in the T-Day game where Stargel pulled around and rushed from between the DTs. I'm hopeful that we're going to be able to do some pretty aggressive stuff on D

I agree. We have the athletic types to play an aggressive style on defense and I believe it is Roof's inclination as well. IMO it is our best chance considering the size, experience, depth, and athletic skills available. If we sit and wait I am afraid of getting steamrolled. This D seems to be a "get after you" bunch, so lets get after you with some aggressive schemes, and come what may!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
They were always aggressive last year but the problem was it only lasted the 1st couple of drives in each half before they got too tired.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i mean we have no proven depth and usually youth at this position is the #1 nightmare....and after the starting 2 that is all we have. is RS Fr/Soph types....So for me I like the future potential of the backups, and I actually think the starting 2 are pretty good....but I am super scared of rotation and injury....I also think Gotsis natural position is the 5tech on the end; if we had any depth we could do that. But we don't....so we can't....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gotsis played back-up as a true freshman and was okay. I don't look at FS-Sophomores and being young. It's their 3rd year in the system, and they should be ready to be productive back-ups. If they aren't ready to go by RS-Soph year, it's a wholely different issue.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thing about Gotsis is that he is about 25 years old already. He could go pro after this year I think .... It will all depend on the round he is drafted. So I don't expect Gotsis to be with us next year since I think he is going to have a great year.

So 2015 season will be interesting on the DL .......

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Thing about Gotsis is that he is about 25 years old already. He could go pro after this year I think .... It will all depend on the round he is drafted. So I don't expect Gotsis to be with us next year since I think he is going to have a great year.

So 2015 season will be interesting on the DL .......

C'mon Nuke, Gotis wont even be 22 until late September ;) Yes could leave after this year but, somehow, I think he'll be back for his SR year