How do we fix this nightmare....

Status
Not open for further replies.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Yeah
Putting stuff on twitter about next season less than a week after you were lost to ole miss is rah rah bs

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I'll say this as well, what we need is more leadership and not twitter and social media leadership-that **** is all talk. I'm talking about leadership on the field and in the locker room. Social media sucks and is distracting. If players have to announce they're leaders and remind people that they are, then they're not true leaders.
What's funny is before GT started to embrace twitter, there were a lot of us that were saying GT needed to have better social media presence.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I loved watching the refrigerator mover at work...I strongly disagree that the program is a nightmare. Simply a bit disappointing this year and last. I don't think we are far away from some very satisfying seasons. I'm a pro CPJ guy though.
56...how many "Tech" guys are out there who are qualified and available to take over?....I can think of 3...Freidgen, GOL, and Roof. (I don't think Wisenhunt is available)
But even if you are a die hard CPJ hater what is the most likely scenario 5 years down the road if we do make a change. Here are the scenarios I see.
1. New guy comes in and is worse.
2. New guy comes in and wins 6-8 games a year.
3. New guy comes in...wins big...then leaves for bigger job (the need for a "Tech man" comes in here)
First off I'm not settling for mediocrity because CPJ has won and competed for championships, here, and I believe will continue to do so if given the opportunity. A benefit to CPJ and his system, that I've liked from the start, is that he's not liable to be plucked away even when he does win big because of all the negative stereotypes.
Give it two more years to play out and evaluate. Don't pretend this is the 2nd coming of Bill Lewis.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
What's funny is before GT started to embrace twitter, there were a lot of us that were saying GT needed to have better social media presence.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more cringe worthy than reading college football players tweets. Good god, I'm just thankful social media wasn't wildly popular when I was in school. Everyone think they're some kind of philosopher and all the stupid **** they say is cached for posterity. Thankfully my stupidity was restricted to the people around me who saw it firsthand while I was in school.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more cringe worthy than reading college football players tweets. Good god, I'm just thankful social media wasn't wildly popular when I was in school. Everyone think they're some kind of philosopher and all the stupid **** they say is cached for posterity. Thankfully my stupidity was restricted to the people around me who saw it firsthand while I was in school.
I'm not talking about the players. They are doing what other kids do. I can't fault kid's trends nowadays, I'm too old. But I was referring to GTAA having more social media presence.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As for the twitter comments. I was pretty happy with them. Don't see the problem with flushing this years disappointing end down the drain and rallying for better results next year. Would y'all rather see them wallow in self pity and strife and complain about the results instead if owning up to them and vowing to improve?....oh yeah...some of you would rather see that lol

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I think year 2 with Roof is going to be a lot better. Thomas will be better running our offense than Vad. I think Custis will be starting by mid season. And most important a healthy line. I'm looking forward to next year I really like our last years recruits and this year is looking better.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I loved watching the refrigerator mover at work...I strongly disagree that the program is a nightmare. Simply a bit disappointing this year and last. I don't think we are far away from some very satisfying seasons. I'm a pro CPJ guy though.
56...how many "Tech" guys are out there who are qualified and available to take over?....I can think of 3...Freidgen, GOL, and Roof. (I don't think Wisenhunt is available)
But even if you are a die hard CPJ hater what is the most likely scenario 5 years down the road if we do make a change. Here are the scenarios I see.
1. New guy comes in and is worse.
2. New guy comes in and wins 6-8 games a year.
3. New guy comes in...wins big...then leaves for bigger job (the need for a "Tech man" comes in here)
First off I'm not settling for mediocrity because CPJ has won and competed for championships, here, and I believe will continue to do so if given the opportunity. A benefit to CPJ and his system, that I've liked from the start, is that he's not liable to be plucked away even when he does win big because of all the
Whiskey

With all due respect, I don't think you know and speak with the people I do nor the people john does. Maybe your are a billionaire big money guy who pulls all the strings, if so I apologiZe.

CPJ hasn't won a marquis game since Clemson in 11. He has gotten blown out at home by MtSu though! Cpj hasn't finished in the top 25 since 09. Cpj's all time record at GT minus fcs teams is below .500 I believe. This is mediocrity.

Glenn spencer is a candidate that you failed to mention. A HC is an administrator mainly who delegates responsibility to his coordinators unless you're like Paul and also call 5-7 offensive plays.

What's Cpj's combined record against Miami, Clemson, vt, uga? Will that improve? Vt wasn't even good this year we still lost.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
As for the twitter comments. I was pretty happy with them. Don't see the problem with flushing this years disappointing end down the drain and rallying for better results next year. Would y'all rather see them wallow in self pity and strife and complain about the results instead if owning up to them and vowing to improve?....oh yeah...some of you would rather see that lol
Rather see action not words

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you have to assess things position by position and coach by coach. Take stock of what you have, how it can be improved, enhanced and made to be more productive. Things are not totally screwed up. There are some good things to continue to build on. Our special teams has shown improvement and with Butker we have a weapon that will give us an edge in kick offs and field goals. The defense is showing improvement. Still not where it needs to be but with Roof at the helm I look for continued improvement and getting us back toward the standard of tough, physical defense Tech has shown in the past especially when Roof and the Black Watch D were on the field. The offense is where we have the furthest improvement to make. Vad leaving ends a chapter where we thought we had a dynamic play maker running the offense. As it turned out he was not that guy. Now we have to hope that Thomas, Byerly, Matthews or someone else can take over and be more of a play maker. The Offensive line has to be more coherent and play with more fire and determination. Our receivers need to continue to develop we have some talent there and need to get them more involved as play makers. The running backs are adequate but no one has really stepped out to be the go to guy. Cook and Owens need to work hard to develop these guys this off season and get the best guys out there. They are two coaches that need to get it done or move on along with a couple of others. I would like to see Johnson appoint an offensive coordinator and give that individual more input into the game planning and play calls. We need to vary the offense to include more pistol, diamond and true spread along with the triple option. If we did that well, we would be unique and I think attractive to more skill type players. CPJ needs to step back and be more of a CEO type of coach. Roof needs to be the assistant head coach and be just as visible as Johnson with the media, alumni and the general public.

In summary we need to maximize our existing resources, prioritize areas of greatest need and formulate an action plan to address those things to the fullest extent possible during this off season. We can still have a good football team and a solid season in 2014. All is not lost.

Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE my beef is they approached us about recruiting, saying they were interested. Then lying about how said son couldn't get in to school but not knowing I wasn't an idiot and finding out they offered kids with worse scores. GT is MY school, I want them to succeed period.

I know, John. They have no excuse for their treatment of you and Harrison as far as I'm concerned.

However, I think GTs offensive performance under CPJ has been much better than you give it credit for, even after Gailey's recruits.

I was at Tech at the same time as you and Roof, I know where you're coming from with Harrison, ... I also know you knew that grades weren't the only issue given his other options,

A lot of fans read your assessments as objective. They aren't. If you want the best for GT, disengage, just my opinion.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Just read the thread on Stingtalk mover. "I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats" :smuggrin: So now that you have let the cat out of the bag lets hope something gets done. The only question I have is who told Bruce Feldman? lol So if this is going to get done now it will probably need to be someone who knows Tech well so that narrows it down to former players who are now coaching or former Tech coaches. George is to old and not coming back and Ralph is to old to take the head job. If we give it to Roof he needs to be surrounded by very good and accomplished coordinators similar to what Clemson has done with Dabo. Gonna cost some money but there again Roof wont get the amount of money we are paying Johnson so it could be doable. Same scenario if you bring back Godsey for head coach if we want to go young like what Northwestern did. Would Ralph want to be an offensive coordinator for a few years under any scenario? Need to find out. We could go get Glenn Spencer. He is doing well as Oklahoma St. defensive coordinator. He was a very successful head coach at West Georgia in the 90's taking a winless team and turning them into a playoff team within a few years. I am guessing he would keep Roof on defense and bring in someone to run an offense similar to Ok. St. Would he want Ralph to be OC? Lots of potential scenarios and lots of questions. Brent Key is the offensive line coach, recruitng coordinator and assistant head coach at UCF. Would he want to come back in some capacity. Roof, Spencer and Key can all recruit well. Mike McEntire is the head coach at Colorado but he just got there this year after a very successful run at San Jose St. Does he have any interest?

That's all the Tech people I can think of off the top of my head. To me it's either this way or wait till November and do the whole search committee thing while suffering through another mediocre season with a lame duck coach.

Whiskey

With all due respect, I don't think you know and speak with the people I do nor the people john does. Maybe your are a billionaire big money guy who pulls all the strings, if so I apologiZe.

CPJ hasn't won a marquis game since Clemson in 11. He has gotten blown out at home by MtSu though! Cpj hasn't finished in the top 25 since 09. Cpj's all time record at GT minus fcs teams is below .500 I believe. This is mediocrity.

Glenn spencer is a candidate that you failed to mention. A HC is an administrator mainly who delegates responsibility to his coordinators unless you're like Paul and also call 5-7 offensive plays.

What's Cpj's combined record against Miami, Clemson, vt, uga? Will that improve? Vt wasn't even good this year we still lost.

Since 2010 minus FCS teams CPJ is below .500, something like 23-25.

All Time minus the FCS teams CPJ is 40-32 or 39-32, I'm sure someone knows.

The part that bothers me is the 25 losses in 4 years ,averaging 6.25 losses per year over a 4 year run would get most HCs fired IMO, that's a LOT of losing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Oleary used to say knute Rockne pregame speeches go out the window once the ball is snapped and you get punched in the mouth.

I tend to agree, at that point it gets personal
CPJ has said the same thing,

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
This thread is starting to go off topic as expected.

Are there any other solutions not already suggested here?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
36-20 vs 31-17 win loss records (in ACC) for CGOL and CPJ respectively....(also not counting losses in GOL 1st year after taking over for BL)
GOL is my favorite HC so don't get me wrong, but these numbers are comparable. Each won an ACC championship also.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Whiskey then how can you forget 3 in a row over uga? 5 straight top 25 finishes (97-01)?

They're not that similar

Paul has one win over uga
2 top 25 finishes
And didn't inherit 5-6,5-6,1-10 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.