How Do I Create Documents I Can Import Into GTSwarm?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm trying to make a post which has embedded images rather than links or attachments. As I understand it, I need to have documents (pdfs or jpegs or whatever) on a website.

I've tried GoogleDocs but that link doesn't transform to an image when I upload it, only a link. I could do YouTube for videos, but not pdfs?

So how do I upload one of my documents to a server that will give it a URL and make it an image when I bring it onto this site?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Huummmppff ... looks like MediaFire doesn't work

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/jvpmis9wcwld9ba/J_Howell_Methodology.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/view/jvpmis9wcwld9ba/J_Howell_Methodology.pdf</a>

Last edited:

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
There are only certain types of files that you can embed in posts (images, tweets, youtube). PDFs are unfortunately not one of these formats so you'll just need to link to the PDF.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks, I learned that the hard way since it takes Adobe to execute the file.

I'm going to convert the pdf to a jpg and then put it on. At least that's the plan right now ...

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, so I don't forget again, here's the process I use. Others probably have simpler ways,

• First get to a .jpg file format for what you want to show.
For Excel files or Word files, I print to pdf
Then convert from pdf to jpg using a free converter​
The nice thing is that the picture displays while you are preparing the post.
I like having pictures rather than links in others posts so I wanted to be able to do it myself. (I was envious of DCS' pictures!)
wpt8ia1fmywv4476g.jpg

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do like the chart but I'm not sure what it is supposed to be about. Can you give me a brief explanations? Thanks.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is there a way to cut & paste a spreadsheet in cleanly as a table? Whenever I've tried, it just turns in to a long text list.

Thanks!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
make it into a jpg first. You can easily do this by going from Excel to Word, then copying from Word. You just have to make sure it goes into Word as a jpg. I think you can also export as a jpg, but I've never done that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
.In Excel you should be able to use the "Go To" functionality then select save as picture... Use the Excel "help" for specific s... Using my phone and don't have PC booted up to dig out instructions from Excel. With that said I know that the information is there because every now and then I had to look that information up to remind myself. :D

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is there a way to cut & paste a spreadsheet in cleanly as a table? Whenever I've tried, it just turns in to a long text list.

Thanks!

Like forensic, I get to a jpg. Maybe the long way, but here's how
1) Print what ever you want using CutePDF Writer or something similar so you end up with a pdf file. That way you can control the size and formatting of whatever it is that you have.
2) Convert the pdf to jpg. I use a free program "PDF to JPG Converter". There are a bunch out there. http://wwww.freepdfsolutions.com
3) Upload the jpg file to MediaFire. www.mediafire.com
4)Go under the share part of MediaFire and go to more share options and get the http link. It'll look like " http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5e97/hv8ul04c3kkvv7p6g.jpg" with the "convkey" in the address.
5) Copy that like to the GTSwarm window for image. The picture (jpg) should then appear when you are making up the response.

If someone knows a smoother way, I'd like to know it too. I often resort to brute force rather than elegant solutions.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
If someone knows a smoother way, I'd like to know it too. I often resort to brute force rather than elegant solutions.

Spoken like a true Tech man of the old school. We used to call it "slopping thru" a problem. Maybe the not the prettiest solution, but generally effective nonetheless. :cigar:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... need to FIX the instructions I gave above... (won't be the last time I ever have to do this :oops:)
I have a "shortcut" on the quick access toolbar so I don't have to remember each time...

If you are doing a large file / multiple tabs then stick with the MediaFire procedure from Nuke above.

But for a one pager, try the following. It'll keep you from having to upload files, etc.

Within Excel, select the data you want to use as a picture...
Then under the HOME tab/Ribbon and within the "Clipboard group"
- click the arrow next to Copy
- click Copy as Picture" I usually choose As shown when printed.
upload_2014-7-7_7-29-46.png

To get "picture" to be able to post into the GTSWARM reply, I first have to paste it in another file - I just paste the picture into a spot in Excel or a into a dummy email,
THEN right click on the pasted picture, select copy from Ecsel or the email (could do from WORD too) and then past into the response.

From email
upload_2014-7-7_7-35-7.png

From Excel
upload_2014-7-7_7-37-8.png

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wonder if it's because I've got an outdated browser here at work (that I can't update), but I followed those steps and still can't paste the pics in to the response.

Thanks everyone for the help though. I'm going to try it at home.