How come we don't do this...

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sure I used to see CPJ's offense throw more as an option in the triple option play itself, i.e., after the mesh the QB would begin running down the line w/ the A back trailing and suddenly the QB would back up from the line of scrimmage and throw often to a wide open receiver because everyone had by then 'bit' on the run. I saw this several times when CPJ was at Ga. Southern. How come we don't do this now?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure I used to see CPJ's offense throw more as an option in the triple option play itself, i.e., after the mesh the QB would begin running down the line w/ the A back trailing and suddenly the QB would back up from the line of scrimmage and throw often to a wide open receiver because everyone had by then 'bit' on the run. I saw this several times when CPJ was at Ga. Southern. How come we don't do this now?
We did it once last year to lynch, it turned out to be a TD.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I've been surprised we haven't seen the triple pass play more often. It's not off the counter, it looks like actual triple, just the mesh is fake, and then instead of the QB attacking read number 2, he backs up and throws it deep.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
With JT at QB, that was pretty much a waste of time, imho. Might as well get him out to the corner; that's where he could do some damage. For throwing, a straight drop back suited his height. If I had to guess, these are the reasons we haven't done this with Marshall either. He'll do a lot more damage with his feet then with his arm and his height makes a straight drop back work better.

Besides, the way to make this play pure murder is from a spread. The long snap gives the QB more time to use the option as he runs to the LOS.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
With JT at QB, that was pretty much a waste of time, imho. Might as well get him out to the corner; that's where he could do some damage. For throwing, a straight drop back suited his height. If I had to guess, these are the reasons we haven't done this with Marshall either. He'll do a lot more damage with his feet then with his arm and his height makes a straight drop back work better.

Besides, the way to make this play pure murder is from a spread. The long snap gives the QB more time to use the option as he runs to the LOS.
With his height getting out of the pocket is better, dropping straight back makes it hard to see over the OL when you aren't taller.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
35 is the fewest points we've put up in 3 games. We've moved the ball at will, basically... in every game.

I'd like to think there are quite a few plays CPJ isn't going to show until necessary.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Aka the old uva Shawn Moore/Herman Moore special.

I want to say that Georgia Tech's Primary play-action in the past couple years has been rocket toss action where the motioning a back ends up running a flat or a wheel route or something and the QB gives a toss fake to get the safety screaming up and the frontside a back ends up heading down field

grb916

Georgia Tech Fan
First, a pass is NEVER an option from the Veer Triple. A play action pass is a different play.

The reason for this is that our OL get to the next level in run blocking and would be illegal downfield if a pass were thrown.
And for that matter, any defender who's paying attention to our OL blocking should pick up immediately the pass pro and drop back in coverage accordingly.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
First, a pass is NEVER an option from the Veer Triple. A play action pass is a different play.

The reason for this is that our OL get to the next level in run blocking and would be illegal downfield if a pass were thrown.
agreed. Unless said pass was behind the line of scrimmage, which it wouldn't probably be in this situation.