Hot seat

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Unless one of you wishes to put up money for CPJ contract buyout, he is going to be here a while.
Yeah this is probably a bridge too far but I do think the AD after four hours must want to see something improve.........

Mack

Helluva Engineer
What I'd really like to see is these "big money people" use their influence to buy CPJ or whoever the next coach is some leeway with academics so they're not setting another coach up for failure...
Naw cant be done since it would water down the institutions degerees........again bet Ga folks ,the Doctors and Lawyers etc could care less what kind of a degree Gurlye gets or even if he gets one.Would be nice though.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
My fear is if these instant gratification big money people get their way, Tech will become a revolving door for coaching. While ND may get away with that because of their mythical legend.....I don't think Tech can do the same thing.
Well with exception of Lewis we pretty much keep folks for six years..Now I see your point but hope to see improvement this year in year seven.

gtdrew

Banned
Naw cant be done since it would water down the institutions degerees........again bet Ga folks ,the Doctors and Lawyers etc could care less what kind of a degree Gurlye gets or even if he gets one.Would be nice though.
Well then, we'll just be back here in a few years saying the same thing about the next guy. It can be done. The right people just have to be on board...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have murderers row lined up to play us in 2015: ND, FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT and Uga. Good luck to a brand new coach with a brand new scheme.
This is actually a good point. Lets say pj goes 7-5 again next year. Maybe 8-4. He wont be fired. But 2015 schedule could be so hard we finish with a losing record and he will be fired. 2015 really sets up as a linchpin year. I used to think it was 2014. But lately i get the sense our AD is gutless and will wait for the 2015 bowl streak end to pull the plug. Question is what to do about PJ contract at the end of 2014 due to recruiting reasons.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well then, we'll just be back here in a few years saying the same thing about the next guy. It can be done. The right people just have to be on board...
Well we have beaten this Hill horse to death and still no relief.Yeah who ever keep winning seven and losing five etc and losing to Ga will go through the crucible with the fans and yes,same excuses will be played over and over and over. Sure hope we do get right folks on board since it looks like we are always playing from a uneven playing field with the liberal schools.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Should have been clearer.Want to see and agree it can be done but have no idea who the big uns are any more with big pockets or points of influence on the Hill.Would like to see the field evened up.

gtdrew

Banned
Should have been clearer.Want to see and agree it can be done but have no idea who the big uns are any more with big pockets or points of influence on the Hill.Would like to see the field evened up.
Fair enough. It's easy enough to find that out. The problem is that GT is one of the few places where the academic endowment and donations hold sway over the athletic ones. Someone has to get the message to the admissions people and the Hill that a healthy athletics program leads to more money everywhere...

Mack

Helluva Engineer
This is actually a good point. Lets say pj goes 7-5 again next year. Maybe 8-4. He wont be fired. But 2015 schedule could be so hard we finish with a losing record and he will be fired. 2015 really sets up as a linchpin year. I used to think it was 2014. But lately i get the sense our AD is gutless and will wait for the 2015 bowl streak end to pull the plug. Question is what to do about PJ contract at the end of 2014 due to recruiting reasons.
Sure would like to have been a fly on the wall with the four hour meeting last week or so..yeah we will on paper or rather win loss wise be probably 8-4 but unless we start whipping the big uns.....2015 could really be a tough one.

Animal02

Banned
I don't really buy the premise that a "revolving door" is automatically a bad strategy for finding a good coach. Granted, Georgia Tech does not have the stature of Notre Dame to attract established coaches on a regular basis. But I don't necessarily see it as a bad strategy to give a promising young coach a short period to prove he's worth keeping. There is no shortage of promising young coaches and assistants who would be willing to give it a shot at Tech. If he proves he's as good as advertised, you raise his salary and extend his contract. If he turns out to be a bust, you move on. What you don't want to get stuck in is a routine of hiring an established coach at a high salary and a huge buyout, who later turns out not to be that good when faced with the unique challenges of coaching at Tech.

Hire a promising young coach and Tech becomes a stepping stone school to bigger and more $$$$.
Schools that average 80-100k+ a year will always have the money to buy the promising young coach that has just proven himself. Tech, even if it sold out every game, will not be able to compete with the $$$.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Hire a promising young coach and Tech becomes a stepping stone school to bigger and more $$$$.
Schools that average 80-100k+ a year will always have the money to buy the promising young coach that has just proven himself. Tech, even if it sold out every game, will not be able to compete with the $$$.

As in Penn State taking Vandy's "promising young coach" and Texas taking Louisville's coach. Good point Animal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Holy crap. People sure have a "woe is me, GT is terrible place to coach" complex around here.

Hey, let's not worry about hiring someone who could do better because that guy may leave...let's be safe with someone who consistently wins 7 games a year, and goes to third tier bowls because no one will want to hire him!

Yeesh...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Holy crap. People sure have a "woe is me, GT is terrible place to coach" complex around here.

Hey, let's not worry about hiring someone who could do better because that guy may leave...let's be safe with someone who consistently wins 7 games a year, and goes to third tier bowls because no one will want to hire him!

Yeesh...
Well if guys who want better football pony up the moolah so we can pay our coach 4 mil a year, then maybe we can compete for the top notch coaches. What do you think it would take to lure a top tier coach to GT? I mean everything, salary, academic changes, etc.... Good luck getting 1/10 of that from the hill.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well if guys who want better football pony up the moolah so we can pay our coach 4 mil a year, then maybe we can compete for the top notch coaches. What do you think it would take to lure a top tier coach to GT? I mean everything, salary, academic changes, etc.... Good luck getting 1/10 of that from the hill.

Let's stop with the Hill decides things for the Athletic Department. They don't. The only thing the Hill does is makes sure our athletes meet certain academic criterias and out Ath. Dept. follows university rules. They don't hire coaches, or fire coaches, unless the coaches embarass the school.

Second, I'm not calling for CPJ's head, but I do want him to do better because that means GT is doing better. CPJ is a very good coach when he has the talent. I believe 6 years is long enough to know what direction a coach's program is going. We can't afford to find a new coach right now? That's fine...but let's call a spade a spade and not sugarcoat why a coach is afforded another opportunity.

Third, I will never buy that GT should not try to improve their situation because the next guy might do too well and have other schools go after him. I'll take 3-5 years of high success and a successful coach moving on. You can't be great if you don't aspire to be. To me, it's like turning down a date with a beautiful girl because a person is afraid that another guy will eventually take her away. I believe GT fans should have more self confidence than that.

Atomic Jacket

Banned

If other schools are always able to offer significantly more money than Tech can offer, then Tech, by definition, is a stepping stone school. It doesn't matter if the coach is a promising young coach or an established coach. If he does well at Tech, and Tech can't offer him what other schools are willing to offer, then the coach is most likely going to be hired away. So the argument that Tech would "become a stepping stone school" doesn't really hold water.

I should add that in reality EVERY school is a stepping stone school. Even Alabama, a school that many would consider a top tier school, has been raided by Texas A&M (Franchione). There are other examples of top tier schools losing their coach to another school offering more money.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Third, I will never buy that GT should not try to improve their situation because the next guy might do too well and have other schools go after him. I'll take 3-5 years of high success and a successful coach moving on. You can't be great if you don't aspire to be. To me, it's like turning down a date with a beautiful girl because a person is afraid that another guy will eventually take her away. I believe GT fans should have more self confidence than that.

I don't know anything about how to run a college football program but it seems to me that stability and continuity can be pretty important. So I wouldn't say it's lack of confidence just a pro/con thing. That's a really bad analogy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know anything about how to run a college football program but it seems to me that stability and continuity can be pretty important. So I wouldn't say it's lack of confidence just a pro/con thing. That's a really bad analogy.

You're right. The win totals, losses to our biggest rivals, and bowls in tertiary cities have been very stable the last 4 years. Let's continue it...