Hot seat

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
It means nothing to me to hear the statements that he cannot get his type of players. To me, that is not an excuse, that is the fault of the coach. Just maybe, his lack of good recruits is a result of his type of system played and his charisma or lack of charisma with recruits and players. The main fact of wining at any school is the team is a mirror image of its coaching, and the coach is responsible for the results. The same goes with any CEO, if the objective is not reached, the final results falls on the CEO, or coach in sports.

All other reasons matter little, it is the won-loss record, performance of the team, and attendance.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
First, any buyout would not be paid out in a single lump sum. It would be staggered over a period of years...most likely 5. That would mean just over $1 million per year if he's let go at the end of next year.
Second, there is already discretionary money in the budget which could be used to fund the first 3 years of the buyout.
Third, it's a good portion of the big money donors who are the ones causing the heat to turn up. There is more & more traction within that community for showing him the door. There are 2 notable exceptions: one is a fairly big money guy who likes to play golf with CPJ and the other one, while not such a big money guy, is an influential character...he has been known to attend basketball games with our coach. Those 2 are solidly on the side of CPJ staying. Others, meh...either indifferent or in some cases, down right ready for the plug to be pulled.

FWIW, I haven't heard anything about UGA being part of the conditional. Everything I keep hearing points to: win the Coastal division or else.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First, any buyout would not be paid out in a single lump sum. It would be staggered over a period of years...most likely 5. That would mean just over $1 million per year if he's let go at the end of next year.
Second, there is already discretionary money in the budget which could be used to fund the first 3 years of the buyout.
Third, it's a good portion of the big money donors who are the ones causing the heat to turn up. There is more & more traction within that community for showing him the door. There are 2 notable exceptions: one is a fairly big money guy who likes to play golf with CPJ and the other one, while not such a big money guy, is an influential character...he has been known to attend basketball games with our coach. Those 2 are solidly on the side of CPJ staying. Others, meh...either indifferent or in some cases, down right ready for the plug to be pulled.

FWIW, I haven't heard anything about UGA being part of the conditional. Everything I keep hearing points to: win the Coastal division or else.

Watch it. Them's fightin' words around here.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
If the boosters with the money are divided, it probably means PJ is safe through next season, and maybe even further if the upward trend is significant next year.

gtdrew

Banned
It means nothing to me to hear the statements that he cannot get his type of players. To me, that is not an excuse, that is the fault of the coach. Just maybe, his lack of good recruits is a result of his type of system played and his charisma or lack of charisma with recruits and players. The main fact of wining at any school is the team is a mirror image of its coaching, and the coach is responsible for the results. The same goes with any CEO, if the objective is not reached, the final results falls on the CEO, or coach in sports.

All other reasons matter little, it is the won-loss record, performance of the team, and attendance.
Maybe it's because he's limited by the admissions office. But you don't want to hear that, because it goes against your agenda...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If the boosters with the money are divided, it probably means PJ is safe through next season, and maybe even further if the upward trend is significant next year.

CPJ is safe partly due to money. Partly due to people like the ones on this board who apologize and make excuses for mediocre football results. The new AD may do something in 2 years perhaps. But maybe he can turn stalled mediocrity into something special in the coming season. This so reminds me of the Gailey era.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is safe partly due to money. Partly due to people like the ones on this board who apologize and make excuses for mediocre football results. The new AD may do something in 2 years perhaps. But maybe he can turn stalled mediocrity into something special in the coming season. This so reminds me of the Gailey era.

I know that you've heard this before, but I'm going to try one more time to get you and those who agree with you to stop misrepresenting and disrespecting those who disagree with you.

Many maybe most defenders of CPJ are not apologizing and making excuses for mediocre results but for pretty darn good results of our offense and the HCs own dissatisfaction and activity to improve our D.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's record stands on its own. People are going to spin it either way. I just don't buy the arguments of the people who love the guy. I support the program not the individual and will cheer GT every time I get the opportunity but I agree with daBuzz, ATL1 and many others.

It is exactly what I have said in multiple threads on this board. Coach johnson is safe and will be our coach this year, in my opinion, but with another year of 7-6 ball, losing to our 4 main rivals, I'm not sure he will survive long.

That is not with the intent of being demeaning to him, that is just the nature of coaching and what I feel will happen.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's record stands on its own. People are going to spin it either way. I just don't buy the arguments of the people who love the guy. I support the program not the individual and will cheer GT every time I get the opportunity but I agree with daBuzz, ATL1 and many others.

It is exactly what I have said in multiple threads on this board. Coach johnson is safe and will be our coach this year, in my opinion, but with another year of 7-6 ball, losing to our 4 main rivals, I'm not sure he will survive long.

That is not with the intent of being demeaning to him, that is just the nature of coaching and what I feel will happen.
It is what it is!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's because he's limited by the admissions office. But you don't want to hear that, because it goes against your agenda...
Guess you can blame it on many things if y9u want to but like Stoney said in the past......you watch Ga Southern and the way they ran the option and then look at ours.We are slow compared to them.Now big thing is they have a qb and a hoss of a running back and speed.We dont except it seems for Godhigh and he is gone.Yes could be grades.....could be the ACC vs SEC....could be the offense or even the coach but its clear we aint getting it done.Of course we will be better next year due to whom we play but to me we have sort of entered into the Chan Chan ear again.One thing for sure we will lead the ACC in excuses and maybe one day we fix what ails us and win big.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

I heard the same thing as it concerned boosters with big bucks.Like this board it seems the big uns with jack are split over PJ.I still think he is safe since seven and six and a bowl makes it hard to fire somebody in the eyes of the Hill or powers that be.What we do here on this board reflects nothing as it relates to PJ.It may make us feel better but the money guys rule the day on the decision of what to do with our football program.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Final Sagarin Predictor (Pure Points) ACC Rankings

1. Florida State
16. Clemson
35. Georgia Tech
39. North Carolina
46. Virginia Tech
48. Duke
53. Miami
58. Pittsburgh
64. Boston College
66. Syracuse
72. Maryland
98. Wake Forest
108. NC State
112. Virginia

Interesting results I noticed when I glanced at the Sagarin rankings post-bowl season. I only consider the Predictor (Pure Points) column, because it tends to be the most accurate. Not that I'm trying to defend Tech's record, but we didn't do too badly when you look at the rest of the conference. We'd be considered "upper tier" of the ACC. Incidentally, Georgia finished #25.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

(Edited to add Pitt & Syracuse. Oops.)

Last edited:

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

1. Florida State
16. Clemson
35. Georgia Tech
39. North Carolina
46. Virginia Tech
48. Duke
53. Miami
58. Pittsburgh
64. Boston College
66. Syracuse
72. Maryland
98. Wake Forest
108. NC State
112. Virginia

Interesting results I noticed when I glanced at the Sagarin rankings post-bowl season. I only consider the Predictor (Pure Points) column, because it tends to be the most accurate. Not that I'm trying to defend Tech's record, but we didn't do too badly when you look at the rest of the conference. We'd be considered "upper tier" of the ACC. Incidentally, Georgia finished #25.

Really not trying to be argumentative, but your post just points out to me something different. Looking at those numbers, it just proves how crappy the ACC is as a football conference, IMO. So being upper tier of a crappy conference is akin to bragging about being the tallest midget.

Animal02

Banned

1. Florida State
16. Clemson
35. Georgia Tech
39. North Carolina
46. Virginia Tech
48. Duke
53. Miami
58. Pittsburgh
64. Boston College
66. Syracuse
72. Maryland
98. Wake Forest
108. NC State
112. Virginia

Interesting that Tech's ranking for schedule was 46, considering we had 2 FCS teams this year thanks to the ACC screw up.
You might note that FSU was 62 and Clemp at 56.

Animal02

Banned
I heard the same thing as it concerned boosters with big bucks.Like this board it seems the big uns with jack are split over PJ.I still think he is safe since seven and six and a bowl makes it hard to fire somebody in the eyes of the Hill or powers that be.What we do here on this board reflects nothing as it relates to PJ.It may make us feel better but the money guys rule the day on the decision of what to do with our football program.

My fear is if these instant gratification big money people get their way, Tech will become a revolving door for coaching. While ND may get away with that because of their mythical legend.....I don't think Tech can do the same thing.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
My fear is if these instant gratification big money people get their way, Tech will become a revolving door for coaching. While ND may get away with that because of their mythical legend.....I don't think Tech can do the same thing.
I don't want a revolving door either but six years going on seven is hardly what I would call instant gratification especially given how bad the last four years have been. The problem is the trajectory of the program is down not up. That needs to change next season.

Animal02

Banned
I don't want a revolving door either but six years going on seven is hardly what I would call instant gratification especially given how bad the last four years have been. The problem is the trajectory of the program is down not up. That needs to change next season.

I guess I don't look at it that way......the program as been pretty consistent for the last decade with a few outliers......would I like it to be better, sure, but it is far better than when I was at Tech.

Atomic Jacket

Banned

I don't really buy the premise that a "revolving door" is automatically a bad strategy for finding a good coach. Granted, Georgia Tech does not have the stature of Notre Dame to attract established coaches on a regular basis. But I don't necessarily see it as a bad strategy to give a promising young coach a short period to prove he's worth keeping. There is no shortage of promising young coaches and assistants who would be willing to give it a shot at Tech. If he proves he's as good as advertised, you raise his salary and extend his contract. If he turns out to be a bust, you move on. What you don't want to get stuck in is a routine of hiring an established coach at a high salary and a huge buyout, who later turns out not to be that good when faced with the unique challenges of coaching at Tech.

gtdrew

Banned
I don't really buy the premise that a "revolving door" is automatically a bad strategy for finding a good coach. Granted, Georgia Tech does not have the stature of Notre Dame to attract established coaches on a regular basis. But I don't necessarily see it as a bad strategy to give a promising young coach a short period to prove he's worth keeping. There is no shortage of promising young coaches and assistants who would be willing to give it a shot at Tech. If he proves he's as good as advertised, you raise his salary and extend his contract. If he turns out to be a bust, you move on. What you don't want to get stuck in is a routine of hiring an established coach at a high salary and a huge buyout, who later turns out not to be that good when faced with the unique challenges of coaching at Tech.
What I'd really like to see is these "big money people" use their influence to buy CPJ or whoever the next coach is some leeway with academics so they're not setting another coach up for failure...