Hot seat

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What worries me is Johnson said Lee wasn't ready. How Ready is Thomas going to be?
I am worried about this as well. CPJ did not give JT enough reps.

The competition was closer between Vad & JT than it was for Vad & Tevin so why did JT not get the same amount of reps that Vad did backing up the starter. He really missed an opportunity to give him more reps.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am worried about this as well. CPJ did not give JT enough reps.

The competition was closer between Vad & JT than it was for Vad & Tevin so why did JT not get the same amount of reps that Vad did backing up the starter. He really missed an opportunity to give him more reps.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing considering all the flack Vad got for running the offense this season.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
He is staring right at another 7-6 season next yr-very possibly at best.(for all those poo-pooing that,ask yourself if you predicted a 7-6 season this yr) Bob will have a big choice then-if he has found a "buy-out angel" it would be an easy decision.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
The advantage that I see with Thomas is that he is much quicker, more decisive, and does not mind mixing it up. Since he has already been in practice as the number 2 guy for a year, it would seem reasonable that he should know the system, and the coaches should have noticed if he had the right movements and descisions, even if they were in practice. It also appeared to be a point of disension on the team that some of the players thought Thomas should have been the quarterbalk all along. It must have seemed obvious to some of the players that Lee was not effective.

Since Thomas has not been in the spotlight as starter, no one knows the future results, but the coaches should know the odds.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The problem CPJ has had since '09 is getting all the right pieces together at the same time. For example, if you pair the '12 O with the '13 D you get a 10 win regular season easy. That team beats FSU in the '12 ACCCG and we go to the OB that year and win that too. That is a 12 win season.

Who woulda thought Vad was gonna be a step down from Tevin and a pretty big one at that?

Animal02

Banned
The problem CPJ has had since '09 is getting all the right pieces together at the same time. For example, if you pair the '12 O with the '13 D you get a 10 win regular season easy. That team beats FSU in the '12 ACCCG and we go to the OB that year and win that too. That is a 12 win season.

Who woulda thought Vad was gonna be a step down from Tevin and a pretty big one at that?

I agree, and for those that now say it is CPJ's fault with Vad and suggesting that he should have played JT more, I have to believe that he was making decision based on ho best to win the given game, not throw in the towel and play for the future season.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't think his seat is that hot.

i think his fat contract helps fan the flames. can't disagree we could most likely have the same record paying someone half as much. i don't think the new AD waits too long to pull the trigger on the buyout if we have another middling season next year just so he can have a shot at bringing in his own guy. if he's gonna have to take heat, he'd rather it be due to his own hire rather than a left over from a previous AD.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
i think his fat contract helps fan the flames. can't disagree we could most likely have the same record paying someone half as much. i don't think the new AD waits too long to pull the trigger on the buyout if we have another middling season next year just so he can have a shot at bringing in his own guy. if he's gonna have to take heat, he'd rather it be due to his own hire rather than a left over from a previous AD.
Or we could have a really, really, really crappy record paying someone else half as much. Who knows? The real question is does CPJ have a higher ceiling that what he's shown so far? I think yes.

Personally I don't give any factor to his salary. Not one bit. I think it takes more money to to bring a decent coach to GT than it does to bring them to most other schools with advantages. It's not a even comparison because each job has it's own share of pluses and minuses. You might say well we paid CCG less money for the same performance. That may be true, but I think Chan was at the top of his performance ceiling while CPJ still has a ways to go.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

absolutely, positively NO one, cheese. CPJ is probably the most shocked and i'm sure vad is crushed he didn't live up to the hype. but, as i think back to coach's comments for the past few year, he knew vad didn't have a feel for this O. other than a few somewhat glowing reviews by coach early on in his RS season, there wasn't much buzz by CPJ. he pretty emphatically downplayed expectations many times, you know? now we know why. very disappointing for all stakeholders in tech football.

Last edited:

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
The real question is does CPJ have a higher ceiling that what he's shown so far? I think yes.

we've seen what he can do when he has players that can run this system. hell, i saw it first hand for years in statesboro! the question of ceiling should be more about his recruiting ability in a very tough recruiting environment with tech's limitations. you gotta have the horses and we haven't had them. i've never been one to be on the, "he won with gailey's players" train because all new coaches have to win/lose with someone else's kids. but, we're way, way past the old fall back excuse of, "wait till he has his guys . . ."

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
He seemed much more up on JT than Vad at the same points in their career.

That being said, I don't think JT is going to come in and immediately make us forget the good things Vad was able to do when Vad was on. I don't think JT makes the 40 yard dart to Smelter v Pitt.

The hope is he puts us in fewer positions where we need those plays.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
absolutely, positively NO one, cheese. CPJ is probably the most shocked and i'm sure vad is crushed he didn't live up to the hype. but, as i think back to coach's comments for the past few year, he knew vad didn't have a feel for this O. other than a few somewhat glowing reviews by coach early on in his RS season, there wasn't much buzz by CPJ. he pretty emphatically downplayed expectations many times, you know? now we know why. very disappointing for all stakeholders in tech football.
I remember it all started with the "light years ahead" comment by CPJ. However, what a lot of people forgot about that particular comment was the context:
Johnson said that Lee is “light years ahead of where I thought he would be in four days, with footwork and understanding what we’re trying to accomplish, in doing all those things.”

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
He seemed much more up on JT than Vad at the same points in their career.

That being said, I don't think JT is going to come in and immediately make us forget the good things Vad was able to do when Vad was on. I don't think JT makes the 40 yard dart to Smelter v Pitt.

The hope is he puts us in fewer positions where we need those plays.

Totally agree.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
we've seen what he can do when he has players that can run this system. hell, i saw it first hand for years in statesboro! the question of ceiling should be more about his recruiting ability in a very tough recruiting environment with tech's limitations. you gotta have the horses and we haven't had them. i've never been one to be on the, "he won with gailey's players" train because all new coaches have to win/lose with someone else's kids. but, we're way, way past the old fall back excuse of, "wait till he has his guys . . ."
I just think GT is tough nut to crack, one of the toughest in college football, from a recruiting stand point. What I see is a guy who's learning by trial and error what not to do. It takes time, we need to be patient, more patient than our SEC neighbors, that's for sure. Thomas Edison tried over 10,000 materials before he found the perfect one to be a lightbulb filament. When asked if he failed 10,000 times he said “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”

He also said:

“Negative results are just what I want. They’re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don’t.”

My point is the man never stops tweaking and tinkering. Look at all the staff changes and change in focus. Imo, we're going after the higher end of the academic spectrum harder than the lower end. Those guys are more solid in their commitments because it's education first, football second.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Cheese,
How much more time do you think CPJ needs?

I never get on a person as long as they're trying to right the ship. But time is running out, wouldn't you say? I really want the light-bulb to shine bright for Tech, with or without CPJ.

Each year brings new beginnings.