Horrible Record

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, you can't do it all at once. We just need to win Saturday. Then I will worry about the next one. I don't like to focus on the record because, even if we win Saturday, the record will still suck. Let's just get this one for its own sake.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
This game has become the one that typically helps decide the Coastal. I know Duke won it last year, but I don't see that repeating itself. It's a huge one for GT.

If PJ does ever get fired, I have a feeling many will point to this lackluster record.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
The record of CPJ against the 4 main rivals of Tech will be the reason why I think he will ultimately get fired. If he doesn't start winning against Miami, VT, Clemson and UGA, or I should say if we go 0-4 against those guys this year, I think its going to be very uncomfortable around the office down on the flats.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
More than CPJ's job, enthusiasm for the football program in general has been waning because of this inability in recent years to beat the big boys at all. GT fans don't demand perfection, but 0-4 or 1-5 records aren't cutting it, and if it continues this year, whether they keep CPJ or not, support will decline.

That bothers me a lot more than whoever is coaching. It is hard to rebuild that support once it leaves.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just win. Enjoy the game for what it is.

I'd love for us to win Coastal this year, but unless the D gets a lot better it isn't going to happen. O and ST can only carry us so far and the returns on ST have not been very good this year. But you never know how the team can develop. We have a reasonable chance against VT and especially Miami to win some of those games. We are 3-0 which is better than any alternative. So let's just get to 4-0 and take a bye week to heal up and get faster.

Animal02

Banned
More than CPJ's job, enthusiasm for the football program in general has been waning because of this inability in recent years to beat the big boys at all. GT fans don't demand perfection, but 0-4 or 1-5 records aren't cutting it, and if it continues this year, whether they keep CPJ or not, support will decline.

That bothers me a lot more than whoever is coaching. It is hard to rebuild that support once it leaves.

Enthusiasm for college football (and football in general) has been waning......even schools like U of Mich are struggling with attendance. I recently read that Pop Warner participation has taken a hit...as more and more kids go for soccer. (Soccer has more injuries too)

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It is frustrating, but I am grateful we have those four games. I love the challenge. I love the anticipation of a big game. A game where style points don't matter and a win is a win no matter how it happens. These games are the measure of whether we have stepped up a level in college football.

Georgiatech1997

Georgia Tech Fan
You people are crazy. You act like Georgia Tech Football was so great before Paul Johnson. Be careful what you wish for. Paul Johnson has been more successful at Tech than any other coach during his tenure besides Bobby Dodd. You guys act like we owned the big 4 before Johnson got here. Johnson has highest winning percentage of any coach at Tech over his tenure.

Animal02

Banned
It is frustrating, but I am grateful we have those four games. I love the challenge. I love the anticipation of a big game. A game where style points don't matter and a win is a win no matter how it happens. These games are the measure of whether we have stepped up a level in college football.
Or that our opponents have stepped down ;). The VT series has been competitive and close most games, unfortunately we have come up short more often than not. Miami seems to be more blow out than close games......Clemp and UGAG we seem to win close or get blown.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
PJ has won 4 of 7 against Clemson so I wouldn't say that is a terrible record. And like others said, at least the VT and UGA games have been competitive. Hopefully we are on the winning side this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Imagine if you were a fan of VPI, Miami, Climpsin, or u[sic]ga. With their recruiting advantages over GT, what would you expect? Now ask the same question as a fan of UNC or UVA or Pitt.

It seems to me that we only have a baseline (instituion without reference to coaching staff) recruiting advantage over Duke and WF in the ACC. Yet, we've been competitive. In the last 6 years, only FSU, CU, and VPI have won more games. Georgie slaughters us in recruiting every year, and yet we've played them close most years.

We should absolutely not be satisfied with our final records over the last few years, but we should also have some perspective about how we got there. I would only think about changing coaches if I felt that the coach himself (a) was satisfied with average final results or (b) there was no evidence that the coach brought something to the table to get better results. At this point, CPJ passes both those tests while Chan did not, imo.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The record of CPJ against the 4 main rivals of Tech will be the reason why I think he will ultimately get fired. If he doesn't start winning against Miami, VT, Clemson and UGA, or I should say if we go 0-4 against those guys this year, I think its going to be very uncomfortable around the office down on the flats.

If we fire CPJ for going 0-4 against these teams again this year, it's likely that we'll continue going 0-4 against them for the next several years. Let's save all the "...fire CPJ if…" hyperbole until after we've actually played these four games.

Give the guy a chance to shake out the recruiting problems that built up under the previous AD's tenure.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Or that our opponents have stepped down ;). The VT series has been competitive and close most games, unfortunately we have come up short more often than not. Miami seems to be more blow out than close games......Clemp and UGAG we seem to win close or get blown.
Yeah, I really don't get people who wail and gnash their teeth about these, VPI&SU especially. Is the extent of their engagement with the program reading a headline and then turning to the funny pages? If you even watched the highlight reels of the VT games it's pretty hard to claim we've been shamefully clobbered.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I dont want him gone, it sucks not being a 8-9+ win team year in and year out. Recruiting has improved and have some pieces in place to build on. If we fire him, we would have to go after somebody who has an offense similar to an Auburn/Oregon type to make the transition easier with the players we have. If our defense gets better we get better, plain and simple. We haven't been good on defense since 09, im confident that Roof will get us right. I say give him through next year and see how recruiting goes and there should be no excuse to not play at a high level.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I really would like to see JT in this offense as junior and senior for a full season. I also would like to see Ted Roof work with the young talent for couple more years as the talent gets experience.

It's weird but, we never got to see a full senior season from either Nesbitt or Tevin. Former got injured, and the latter had to split time with Vad Lee. Junior seasons for both Nesbitt and Tevin were pretty good.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Paul has to start going .500 against the big four in my opinion to keep his job. We all know Gailey couldn't win the big one but he beat Miami and Clemson on a regular basis. There was a stretch where we owned Clemson and beat Miami at least four in a row. We've always had trouble with VT no matter the coach but to me they seem like the one team we should compete with because there recruiting isn't that impressive.