Homelessness in LA

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
UCLA is not a bad Engineering school. You are correct about the buttsniffers though.
UCLA - I’m not going to blame anyone for wanting to go to a great school in LA. All the California P12 schools have the same value proposition as GT but with nicer weather and more women. In terms of football - I don’t think UCLA is as good of a program as GT. But it’s not like we’ve really separated ourselves all that much. We need to win more if we want to make a decisive argument.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
UCLA - I’m not going to blame anyone for wanting to go to a great school in LA. All the California P12 schools have the same value proposition as GT but with nicer weather and more women. In terms of football - I don’t think UCLA is as good of a program as GT. But it’s not like we’ve really separated ourselves all that much. We need to win more if we want to make a decisive argument.
Actually, LA's kind of a mess right now with homeless tents lined up and down the sidewalks for blocks. I'm not sure it's a better choice than ATL anymore. A lot of the movie studios are struggling. There's a reason the entertainment industry is decentralizing to places like ATL and Vancouver, and people are leaving CA by the literal millions. The state has taxed its middle class out of existence.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Actually, LA's kind of a mess right now with homeless tents lined up and down the sidewalks for blocks. I'm not sure it's a better choice than ATL anymore. A lot of the movie studios are struggling. There's a reason the entertainment industry is decentralizing to places like ATL and Vancouver, and people are leaving CA by the literal millions. The state has taxed its middle class out of existence.

Homeless tents lined up for blocks? Really?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Homeless tents lined up for blocks? Really?
I'm on my cell phone and suck at linking, but yes. Search it yourself. I've seen the pics and videos. I'm not making it up. You can also search for people leaving California. There's a whole youtube channel dedicated to it. It's become impossible for middle class people to afford living there.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm on my cell phone and suck at linking, but yes. Search it yourself. I've seen the pics and videos. I'm not making it up. You can also search for people leaving California. There's a whole youtube channel dedicated to it. It's become impossible for middle class people to afford living there.

I wasn't being snarky just curious since I lived in LA for 8 years. Like any big city they have an issue with the homeless just like Atlanta, Dallas, Miami and many. many others. I did take a look after your post. A cursory search shows the encampment appear to be be localized in a relatively industrial area like in most cities. As to people fleeing it balances out most years with folks moving there, CA's population has remained relatively stable for the last 25 years or so. You perception of "middle class" is most likely based on where you live. My first wife and I were solidly middle class when we resided in CA, in Atlanta the same income would have put us in the upper middle class range as it did when we relocated back to Atl. As to Darkwa possibly going to UCLA he will see and experience a very similar lifestyle in LA as he would in Atlanta.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a tent city outside Anaheim superior court. They even have a mayor elected to represent them. It is in one area though, I have not seen blocks of tents lined up, but it has been about a year since I was there.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't being snarky just curious since I lived in LA for 8 years. Like any big city they have an issue with the homeless just like Atlanta, Dallas, Miami and many. many others. I did take a look after your post. A cursory search shows the encampment appear to be be localized in a relatively industrial area like in most cities. As to people fleeing it balances out most years with folks moving there, CA's population has remained relatively stable for the last 25 years or so. You perception of "middle class" is most likely based on where you live. My first wife and I were solidly middle class when we resided in CA, in Atlanta the same income would have put us in the upper middle class range as it did when we relocated back to Atl. As to Darkwa possibly going to UCLA he will see and experience a very similar lifestyle in LA as he would in Atlanta.
I don't want to get in a big debate. Not sure what you've searched for, but anyone who wants to can Google the search terms 'people leaving California' and find multiple articles about the state's net loss in population recently, and the reasons people are leaving for places like Nevada and Idaho. Also, pictures and videos of the homeless areas are NOT 'camps'. There are sidewalks lined for blocks with tents. One article I saw was about Malibu, hardly a 'central industrial area'. I'm sorry if you're a fan of California, and feel the need to defend it, but I'm not a liar or exagerrator. This is not intended as a political statement either. The reality is CA is massively in debt as a state, and millions of people, for whatever reason, feel they can no longer afford to live there. Georgia is definitely having net growth, however.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to get in a big debate. Not sure what you've searched for, but anyone who wants to can Google the search terms 'people leaving California' and find multiple articles about the state's net loss in population recently, and the reasons people are leaving for places like Nevada and Idaho. Also, pictures and videos of the homeless areas are NOT 'camps'. There are sidewalks lined for blocks with tents. One article I saw was about Malibu, hardly a 'central industrial area'. I'm sorry if you're a fan of California, and feel the need to defend it, but I'm not a liar or exagerrator. This is not intended as a political statement either. The reality is CA is massively in debt as a state, and millions of people, for whatever reason, feel they can no longer afford to live there. Georgia is definitely having net growth, however.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow have at it, so sorry CA has you so very triggered. No one called you a liar or exaggerator that I see. Hopefully you can get your blood pressure under control and calm down, you might want to take a walk and enjoy a little nature time.

And just for schitz and grins as to CA population current estimate for 2018 is 39,776,830 up from 39.608 in 2017.
http://uspopulation2017.com/population-california-2017.html
http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/california-population/

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
This is going off topic, and possibly political. Homelessness is an interesting topic for the swarm lounge, but it doesn’t need to be in a recruiting thread.

We’re in kind of a recruiting lull here, so there’s not a ton of real recruiting news. We’re only hearing from the guy who promotes Euro athletes, whose job is to sow demand and competition.

We can always use a good DT (or OT). It’s worth keeping an eye on this. I personally have a difficult time projecting which recruits have the most potential, especially the overseas recruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I apologize, but it's one thing when we make our opponents' recruiting pitch for them, and another when that pitch isn't entirely true. I'm not trying to be political. LA has issues right now and is no longer the wonderland and obvious superior lifestyle choice to Atlanta. I hope CGC is smart enough to point out the facts. It's not a liberal or conservative thing. The state is, despite its usual large amount of population imflux, undergoing net population loss, and this is easily verifiable.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow have at it, so sorry CA has you so very triggered. No one called you a liar or exaggerator that I see. Hopefully you can get your blood pressure under control and calm down, you might want to take a walk and enjoy a little nature time.

And just for schitz and grins as to CA population current estimate for 2018 is 39,776,830 up from 39.608 in 2017.
Being accused of lying triggers me.
https://www.sandiegotribune.com/opi...thy-people-per-report-20180221-htmlstory.html

One of many articles from a search. The net population loss has taken place over a decade according to this article, so pulling out stats from one year is a deceptive argument.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Being accused of lying triggers me.
https://www.sandiegotribune.com/opi...thy-people-per-report-20180221-htmlstory.html

One of many articles from a search. The net population loss has taken place over a decade according to this article, so pulling out stats from one year is a deceptive argument.

No one accused you of lying. Get over yourself and have a nice day, sheesh

CA population 2008-2018 36.58 MM to 39.54MM
https://www.statista.com/statistics/206097/resident-population-in-california/

Deleted member 2897

That’s also the problem with all the silly poverty figures. They don’t take into account the cost of living. You can show up as upper middle class in California, but have to live like you’re poor, while you can show up as poor in the stats in the southeast but be solid middle class.

There is a huge homeless encampment next to downtown San Jose that I would be surprised if there is less than 50 tents. When your state and local taxes are 10% and property taxes on a median home are $15,000/year, earning $75,000/year out there literally gets you nowhere but the poor house. You can live like a king on $75,000 in many parts of the southeast.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I live in the Southern California area. Specifically in Northern side of Orange County. There isn't like a homeless epidemic out here BUT I can say that they are fairly concentrated along the riverbeds (Santa Ana river, LA river) or near train tracks. Some cities like Santa Monica and areas like downtown LA have a pretty high concentration of homeless people as well. But I don't think if you go to UCLA you will see much of it. That's a pretty nice area.

As for the net loss of people out of the State.... From what I can tell from my own eye, I don't see it. There's a high demand for real estate (rent and housing prices are up) and traffic seems to get worse and worse. It seems the news is always talking about housing shortages and rents keep going up and up (the town I live in, a typical 2 bedroom apartment rent is over $2,000/mo). I hear about the talks about all the people leaving California and I think that's true (I've talked to people in Seattle and Portland and they hate Californians moving in and causing the housing prices to rise) but I also think there is always someone willing to fill in for those leaving and then some.

I can attest that the cost of living is high. 6 figure salary but feel like I'm a middle-class citizen.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hard to believe such claims overall. I visited SF last summer and for all the news stories about drugs, and needles in the streets etc etc, I found it a delightful city full of nice folks (by and large). And I'm a Deplorable.

Fake News exists on both sides.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Of all the schools to complain about other campuses areas around campus, GT should be towards the bottom. There is literally an award winning “documentary” about GT students getting robbed and a drug dealer filming a “documentary” about a day in his life.

Milwaukee

Banned
Of all the schools to complain about other campuses areas around campus, GT should be towards the bottom. There is literally an award winning “documentary” about GT students getting robbed and a drug dealer filming a “documentary” about a day in his life.

What's the name of the documentary? I'd like to watch it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That’s also the problem with all the silly poverty figures. They don’t take into account the cost of living. You can show up as upper middle class in California, but have to live like you’re poor, while you can show up as poor in the stats in the southeast but be solid middle class.

There is a huge homeless encampment next to downtown San Jose that I would be surprised if there is less than 50 tents. When your state and local taxes are 10% and property taxes on a median home are $15,000/year, earning $75,000/year out there literally gets you nowhere but the poor house. You can live like a king on $75,000 in many parts of the southeast.

Homelessness has a lot less to do with economics and a lot more to do with drug addiction/ abuse and mental illness.

California has a huge population so they will naturally have a huge mental illness issue on their hands as well.

The politics of allowing sidewalk tenting / encampments is just bad politics.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I have looked at population trends in California also. People seem to want to make some kind of point out of grabbing this headline or that article. Truth is, California, like most desirable places to live, is more expensive.

As for the middle class, that has been shrinking for several decades across the country. I remember reading a book maybe 20 years ago called, "America What Went Wrong" written by some investigative journalists that documented the move in government policies to favor the wealthy and big corporations. But that is another topic.

My youngest daughter lived in Brooklyn and worked in the financial district in Manhattan but finally had to move to Florida to make ends meet. She loves the weather and being able to make ends meet but her quality of life has gone way down.