Hire Geoff Collins

slugboy

Staff member
I think the switch to 3-3-5 should fit our roster the best.. possibly the best GT defensive fit since we always seem to grab decent safety's and NB's.

That is my biggest takeaway from Clemson game. Hopefully we stick with the formation.
We have some awesome DEs. Hopefully, they’re all healthy for Saturday. I’d still like to see what White can do. Whatever we can do to disrupt their backfield is good with me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think UNC will tell us a LOT about what kind of defense we have. They will be a better test for our secondary. Clemson is just not good on offense, so while we did a good job against them, I think as the season progresses we'll find out that Clemson's offense will be an albatross for that team. IMO, our offense is actually better than Clemson's at the moment...it's just that Clemson has a LOADED defense that we had to play against.

I think what we did find out against Clemson is that our roster is a lot more talented than we've been playing...and it's reflected in the 247 talent composite. GT should be in every game this year, and there's no reason we can't pull off a few upsets.

What I want to see is us building on the Clemson game. Doesn't necessarily mean beating UNC, but if we can keep it close and have an opportunity to win like we did against Clemson, then we can start talking about foundational progress instead of a blip on the radar.
I'm not so sure Clemson's offense is bad. They ran up against 2 good defenses and took care of business against SC State. Whether they're good or bad will be shown in the weeks to come. I'd rather give our boys credit than downplay the quality of our opponent, but that's just me. ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think we are going to find that this was the best time to play Clemson. The people on here saying Clemson is down on O this year may well be right, but they're going to figure it out soon enough. They are too talented and well funded to not scheme success. We got them when they expected us to roll over and piddle ourselves. Woe to their opponent next week. The tiger will hungry for emotional salve.

I'm not so sure Clemson's offense is bad. They ran up against 2 good defenses and took care of business against SC State. Whether they're good or bad will be shown in the weeks to come. I'd rather give our boys credit than downplay the quality of our opponent, but that's just me. ;)

You gentlemen may be right. However, I see a lot of issues with Clemson that will be tough to fix without some tough personnel decisions. Much like us with Sims/Yates, I'm not sure DJU is the answer for them. He's got an elite arm, but he's not a very good passer. He's not accurate, and he lacks touch. For the offense that Tony Elliott runs, a QB that's not accurate and doesn't have touch will impede what the OC is trying to do. Shipley is a really good back, but he's not the dynamic playmaker they've had at RB. They need someone like Gibbs that's a threat on all three levels. They have some VERY good WRs, but to my earlier point about DJU, it does Clemson no good if the WRs can't get the ball.

We may find out that our defense is all that and a bag of chips when the end of the year comes around, and Clemson has looked pedestrian because they had to play our defense and UGA's defense. Right now, GT is #28 in total defense, #35 in scoring defense (of the teams that have played 3 games), #6 in yards passing allowed per game. Defensive FEI hasn't been released yet, but we would probably be a top 25-35 defense in terms of FEI.

Like I said earlier, UNC will be a much tougher test for us. Howell is an NFL QB, and UNC has a LOT of very skilled players. UNC is #6 in total offense/game at 553+ yards a game. They are #16 is points per game. If our defense passes this test, it's time to get on the GT defensive train because UNC will be one of the best offenses we'll play all year.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
You gentlemen may be right. However, I see a lot of issues with Clemson that will be tough to fix without some tough personnel decisions. Much like us with Sims/Yates, I'm not sure DJU is the answer for them. He's got an elite arm, but he's not a very good passer. He's not accurate, and he lacks touch. For the offense that Tony Elliott runs, a QB that's not accurate and doesn't have touch will impede what the OC is trying to do. Shipley is a really good back, but he's not the dynamic playmaker they've had at RB. They need someone like Gibbs that's a threat on all three levels. They have some VERY good WRs, but to my earlier point about DJU, it does Clemson no good if the WRs can't get the ball.

We may find out that our defense is all that and a bag of chips when the end of the year comes around, and Clemson has looked pedestrian because they had to play our defense and UGA's defense. Right now, GT is #28 in total defense, #35 in scoring defense (of the teams that have played 3 games), #6 in yards passing allowed per game. Defensive FEI hasn't been released yet, but we would probably be a top 25-35 defense in terms of FEI.

Like I said earlier, UNC will be a much tougher test for us. Howell is an NFL QB, and UNC has a LOT of very skilled players. UNC is #6 in total offense/game at 553+ yards a game. They are #16 is points per game. If our defense passes this test, it's time to get on the GT defensive train because UNC will be one of the best offenses we'll play all year.
Unfortunately if our defense passes the test and we hold UNC to 20 points or less and we go on to win the game (like I believe we will) there will still be a part of our fanbase that will say UNC played a poor game on offense

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately if our defense passes the test and we hold UNC to 20 points or less and we go on to win the game (like I believe we will) there will still be a part of our fanbase that will say UNC played a poor game on offense

Maybe, but those fans will be the ones that won't give the staff a chance no matter what. I would spend ZERO seconds worrying about those "fans".

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I think it'll turn out to be somewhere in between for both our defense and Clemson's offense.

Scubapro

Banned
Which player should we have gone for, and what was the right play to do it?
Since you asked...we could have run a play action with Gibbs as a decoy....maybe a play action with a roll out RPO.
You know why you don't see shuffle passes on the goal line situations hardly EVER?
Because it's not an appropriate play for the situation.
Go find me an example of it working. You might find one.

slugboy

Staff member
Since you asked...we could have run a play action with Gibbs as a decoy....maybe a play action with a roll out RPO.
You know why you don't see shuffle passes on the goal line situations hardly EVER?
I think it was a run pass option, and the shuffle pass was the pass option.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's the worst Clemson has played because we forced them to play horribly. I really don't understand why you have to be so damn negative all the time. You're not going to find a ton of commiseration on this site after that game. We played to win, we had a chance and came up just short. Lay off the misery for at least a week.
You calling it misery doesn’t make it so. I’m talking about football. You are the one putting an emotion on it. I am very unemotional. When we do good I say it. When we do bad I say it. We played 60 minutes of football and scored a total of 6 offensive points. That’s not me being miserable. Maybe we did make Clemson play horribly. They also made us play horribly. I don’t give a rip about Clemson so my mind is always about GT. GT coaches botched both times we were inside the 10. That’s 0 for 2 In a game we lost by 6. Making a comparison from last years game to this years is a fools errand because Clemson lost a lot and we lost no one except Harvin. I’m a Collins homer. I’m always a GT coach homer until they make me look like a fool for being one. Collins has sold us something about 2021 so I’m going to believe him until he makes me look like a fool to believe him. So far it’s not much different than last year no matter the rhetoric. Beat UNC and now Collins can crow by beating a ranked team.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a staple of the highly effective Falcons offense when Shanahan was the OC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Our "goal line" shovel pass occurred at the 2 yard line.

Here are multiple shovel passes, just from the NFL, that went for TDs from the 5 yard line in:

If our OG makes that block, we are most likely talking about a different outcome today. It wasn't a bad call, just bad execution. Of course, there are things that could go wrong as well...and you see it some in the video.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You calling it misery doesn’t make it so. I’m talking about football. You are the one putting an emotion on it. I am very unemotional. When we do good I say it. When we do bad I say it. We played 60 minutes of football and scored a total of 6 offensive points. That’s not me being miserable. Maybe we did make Clemson play horribly. They also made us play horribly. I don’t give a rip about Clemson so my mind is always about GT. GT coaches botched both times we were inside the 10. That’s 0 for 2 In a game we lost by 6. Making a comparison from last years game to this years is a fools errand because Clemson lost a lot and we lost no one except Harvin. I’m a Collins homer. I’m always a GT coach homer until they make me look like a fool for being one. Collins has sold us something about 2021 so I’m going to believe him until he makes me look like a fool to believe him. So far it’s not much different than last year no matter the rhetoric. Beat UNC and now Collins can crow by beating a ranked team.
I don't give a rip about last year either. Last year is yesterday's news.

6 points inside the 10 twice against the best defense (hopefully) in college football. Not surprising, especially when the second time we went for it on 4th and came up just short. Could have been 9 points under different circumstances. That being said, I disagree that they made us play horribly. They overtalented us and we outcoached and outgutted them. Unfortunately, we didn't always make perfect decisions and fell short. I think there were some bad calls by the coaches, but I would definitely not characterize it as "botched" against that defense. I think this team looks light-years ahead of last year (looking at you, Defense). Don't care about Collins crowing or not crowing, but I feel much better about next week than I did last week. This team showed me something on Saturday. We'll see if they show up with the same energy and effort on this Saturday at home.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think there was one in last night's KC v. Baltimore game. Either that or it was in one of the college football highlights from this past weekend. It was a good call. Ryan missed the block on an excellent LB or it would have worked.

BTW, I called for a naked bootleg in the Chat. I think that would have worked. Not sure Yates has the footspeed to outrun the safety though. Might have been a collision at the goal line!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It was an awesome call. Exactly what was needed. One lineman didn't do his job and we were stopped on the 1 yard line. It wasn't cute, it was a great call.

Disclaimer: The proceeding was my opinion. Others may agree or disagree (depending on whether they want to be right or wrong).
I find very little to criticize in that game as far as play calling. Sometimes you make the right call and it just doesn’t work out.

Rewatched parts of the game tonight and was impressed all over again with how well the team played. How to use time outs still seems a little like an adventure but so many other things feel like they are firing on all cylinders.