Hire Geoff Collins

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Would it be fair to characterize this narrow loss as Collins’ best on-field achievement to date? I’m not saying anyone’s celebrating a loss, I’m just curious if we have any wins under Collins that seem as significant as this loss?
I think it's tough to compare as the inexorable march of time can take a lot of shine off of performances that seemed great at the moment but less so in hindsight.

The win over Miami in 2019 seemed pretty significant at the time despite them not really being a great team. Heck, even the USF win seemed fairly significant (despite how ugly it was) since we lost to them the year prior and it being the home opener of the new regime.

And in 2020 I remember feeling like the Louisville game was a great win and sign of the future being bright.

It won't surprise me if this performance against Clemson gets treated as simply Clemson regressing rather than GT improving if they have a loss or 2 in conference play.

The lack of consistency in these positive on field performances takes the shine off real quick.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I'm a CGC fan and think he is building a great foundation for the future, whether it's him or another head coach remains to be seen. BUT, I can't shake this thought....was this our version of Charlie Weiss and the "Bush Push " game? Of course we won't know the answer for at least 3 more years. Anyone else, aside the CGC haters, have that same feeling?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
It is crazy to think how close we are actually to being 3-0. A 2 PT conversion against NIU and a few plays against Clemson.

On another note, wasn't Clemson's star DT out on the last drive? I would've taken my chance trying to run Mason -- at least on first down. Don't like trying to outrun Clemson through sweeps, end arounds, etc. But like others have said, easy to Monday morning QB. Proud of our boys but need to close it out next time. If GT can string together a winning performance against UNC, then will start to feel like we may actually have something.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it's tough to compare as the inexorable march of time can take a lot of shine off of performances that seemed great at the moment but less so in hindsight.

The win over Miami in 2019 seemed pretty significant at the time despite them not really being a great team. Heck, even the USF win seemed fairly significant (despite how ugly it was) since we lost to them the year prior and it being the home opener of the new regime.

And in 2020 I remember feeling like the Louisville game was a great win and sign of the future being bright.

It won't surprise me if this performance against Clemson gets treated as simply Clemson regressing rather than GT improving if they have a loss or 2 in conference play.

The lack of consistency in these positive on field performances takes the shine off real quick.
The team, the fans, and Collins really need a win this Saturday against UNC. We go 2-2 overall and 1-1 in the conference, and folks will get the feeling this ship is finally starting to turn around.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I'm a CGC fan and think he is building a great foundation for the future, whether it's him or another head coach remains to be seen. BUT, I can't shake this thought....was this our version of Charlie Weiss and the "Bush Push " game? Of course we won't know the answer for at least 3 more years. Anyone else, aside the CGC haters, have that same feeling?
I may be as down on CGC as anyone on this board. But I am not a hater. I am a firm believer in knowing your strengths and weaknesses and actively mitigating your weaknesses and leveraging your strengths. I don't think he knows he sucks as an actual traditional head coach. BUT if he were to embrace the Dabo model and put all of his efforts into getting and developing his coaches and then taking a hands off approach his ceiling is very high. But he does not seem to have that streak of humbleness that Dabo does so he cant recognize that he sucks as a traditional head coach.

I came out of this last game with a higher opinion that he can pull it off. But he is rapidly running out of runway. He absolutely cannot have any more head scratchier losses this year and needs to pull out one or two small upsets to keep the recruiting train going and sign this class. We need this DL recruiting class.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
All jokes aside it looks like the coaches after having their asses on the line from the NIL loss have really looked at things objectively. That is what we as fans have asked for. Now continue to work to get the coaching above the line. If we can get CGC gameday coaching close to that of most top 25 teams we will be a force to be reckoned with.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Expect what to happen? Us beating UNC? I don't know that I "expect" it, but it could very well happen.
I hope you are correct.I have been wrong about every game thus far this year. I hope I am wrong again in expecting us to be buried by UNC.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are correct.I have been wrong about every game thus far this year. I hope I am wrong again in expecting us to be buried by UNC.
I wouldn't be surprised if we lose to UNC, but I would be surprised if they bury us. I think it will be a close one either way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think UNC will tell us a LOT about what kind of defense we have. They will be a better test for our secondary. Clemson is just not good on offense, so while we did a good job against them, I think as the season progresses we'll find out that Clemson's offense will be an albatross for that team. IMO, our offense is actually better than Clemson's at the moment...it's just that Clemson has a LOADED defense that we had to play against.

I think what we did find out against Clemson is that our roster is a lot more talented than we've been playing...and it's reflected in the 247 talent composite. GT should be in every game this year, and there's no reason we can't pull off a few upsets.

What I want to see is us building on the Clemson game. Doesn't necessarily mean beating UNC, but if we can keep it close and have an opportunity to win like we did against Clemson, then we can start talking about foundational progress instead of a blip on the radar.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Since I posted in the other thread, I figure one here will balance it out. After the Clemson game, I do have some optimism again that I haven't had since the first quarter of the NIU game staring at a 20-0 scoreboard. I don't think beating UNC is a must-have as measure of turning around the program but we do need to enter the October 10 off week with a non-losing record to consider the program improving.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think UNC will tell us a LOT about what kind of defense we have. They will be a better test for our secondary. Clemson is just not good on offense, so while we did a good job against them, I think as the season progresses we'll find out that Clemson's offense will be an albatross for that team. IMO, our offense is actually better than Clemson's at the moment...it's just that Clemson has a LOADED defense that we had to play against.

I think what we did find out against Clemson is that our roster is a lot more talented than we've been playing...and it's reflected in the 247 talent composite. GT should be in every game this year, and there's no reason we can't pull off a few upsets.

What I want to see is us building on the Clemson game. Doesn't necessarily mean beating UNC, but if we can keep it close and have an opportunity to win like we did against Clemson, then we can start talking about foundational progress instead of a blip on the radar.
I think we are going to find that this was the best time to play Clemson. The people on here saying Clemson is down on O this year may well be right, but they're going to figure it out soon enough. They are too talented and well funded to not scheme success. We got them when they expected us to roll over and piddle ourselves. Woe to their opponent next week. The tiger will hungry for emotional salve.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I think we are going to find that this was the best time to play Clemson. The people on here saying Clemson is down on O this year may well be right, but they're going to figure it out soon enough. They are too talented and well funded to not scheme success. We got them when they expected us to roll over and piddle ourselves. Woe to their opponent next week. The tiger will hungry for emotional salve.
Agree. I don’t think Clemson just accepts this as their identity on offense going forward. I don’t know if Dabo has the kahones to pull DJ but I expect they will find something that works better for them than what we’ve seen. I’ve also read others mention Clemson needing to be prepared for NCST and UNC to score on them and I don’t think it’s going to be that easy for any body to score on that defense this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Would it be fair to characterize this narrow loss as Collins’ best on-field achievement to date? I’m not saying anyone’s celebrating a loss, I’m just curious if we have any wins under Collins that seem as significant as this loss?
I hear you and understand. Given the level of competition (even though Clemson is down this year) I would rank this loss ahead of our previous win against Miami in terms of coaching, preparation and team effort.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Listen, the players played hard. Very hard. They never gave up or gave in. But, that is the worst Clemson has played in a long time. Their offense is garbage and will lose several games if they don’t figure it out. We still have no offensive identity or rhythm. Yates made some throws and had a nice game, but the coaches decision making is just bad. We should have scored a touchdown at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters. We played not to get beat bad. And we were successful in that.
Maybe it's the worst Clemson has played because we forced them to play horribly. I really don't understand why you have to be so damn negative all the time. You're not going to find a ton of commiseration on this site after that game. We played to win, we had a chance and came up just short. Lay off the misery for at least a week.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed...we really need to figure out our red zone offense. P-net tries to be cute inside the 25 and it costs us points and a chance at the win. The biggest tell was right before the shuttle pass play. Patenaude called the play the player's faces and body language were all WTF.
It was an awesome call. Exactly what was needed. One lineman didn't do his job and we were stopped on the 1 yard line. It wasn't cute, it was a great call.

Disclaimer: The proceeding was my opinion. Others may agree or disagree (depending on whether they want to be right or wrong).

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck

I think the switch to 3-3-5 should fit our roster the best.. possibly the best GT defensive fit since we always seem to grab decent safety's and NB's.

That is my biggest takeaway from Clemson game. Hopefully we stick with the formation.