Hire Geoff Collins

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Now is the time I'll see how the coaches are at coaching. They ( the players) played hard and did not give up but I'm sure it hurt them to lose. Now the coaches have to get them to play hard again and coaching after a loss ain't easy, UNC is no joke on offense not sure about their defense but they can pass with the best of them. The one thing I have missed og defense this year is a pass rush we can't give Howell time to wait to see the field.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Agree completely with this.

Yeah, just to pile on that play call was fine. It was blown up by a guy who should be playing today but decided to stay another year for some reason.

But I do get the sense that Pnut get's too 'cute' down in the deep red zone. Dontae on a jet sweep to the wide side with our WR in tight and slanting across the middle hard is simple, doesn't require us to break through those DTs and takes advantage of DS's nose for goal line.

Scubapro

Banned
I
The play failed because of a missed block in the hole the ball carrier was supposed to run through. is there a play call that works in this event? I am not being a wise guy here but, seriously, how does a coach overcome that? Do those plays exist?
f you think it was a good call then there is no sense in trying to convince you.
Good play calling is where you match up your strength against the other teams weakest spot or player. Read my post. Yes it could have worked but too many things had to happen perfectly.

slugboy

Staff member
I

f you think it was a good call then there is no sense in trying to convince you.
Good play calling is where you match up your strength against the other teams weakest spot or player. Read my post. Yes it could have worked but too many things had to happen perfectly.
Which player should we have gone for, and what was the right play to do it?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The play failed because of a missed block in the hole the ball carrier was supposed to run through. is there a play call that works in this event? I am not being a wise guy here but, seriously, how does a coach overcome that? Do those plays exist?
It's easy after a play fails to say what you would call. But if I was the OC when I had the ball 1 st and goal on the 4 or 5 yard line I would have run mason 3 times for those few yards, Would that have worked maybe not but I'm just old and that seems to be the best way to pick up 5 yards. Then again I don't see the practices and just maybe with are OL Coach P didn't like the odds.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
It's easy after a play fails to say what you would call. But if I was the OC when I had the ball 1 st and goal on the 4 or 5 yard line I would have run mason 3 times for those few yards, Would that have worked maybe not but I'm just old and that seems to be the best way to pick up 5 yards. Then again I don't see the practices and just maybe with are OL Coach P didn't like the odds.
Running up the middle against college football’s best dline with a pedestrian (at best) oline probably isn’t the best call.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, just to pile on that play call was fine. It was blown up by a guy who should be playing today but decided to stay another year for some reason.

But I do get the sense that Pnut get's too 'cute' down in the deep red zone. Dontae on a jet sweep to the wide side with our WR in tight and slanting across the middle hard is simple, doesn't require us to break through those DTs and takes advantage of DS's nose for goal line.
Not to "Monday(Sunday) morning QB", but I will.... I also thought a jet sweep to the wide side was worth a shot. If not on 4th down, then before that. Oh well......"shoulda,
woulda , coulda".

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
After yesterday's performance , I'm very perplexed on the NIU performance. Had we played like last night, minus the penalties we would have won, and yeah Yates starting would have made a difference.

For me last night did at least prove that we are progressing. However, Clemson is clearly on a down year with their QB. I reserve judgement until next week. I want to see how our D does against a better QB, correct the 3rd and long D, want to see our offense get some scores , work on our 2 min offense and yes clean up the clock management issues

After seeing the collapse of FSU, I don't feel as bad. Collins can still redeem himself in my mind

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Collins doesn't need to redeem himself in my mind, think the man is building a program that was in the tank, it takes a while and is why he was given 7 years, think he needs 2 good recruiting classes going fwd and hopefully this one we're working on is number one of the two. I know everyone wants it yesterday, but that is not reality and was never going to be reality from where we were IMO, but those that think otherwise are going to keep doing so I'm sure and we'll just keep disagreeing on the idea of patience. Might be the biggest driving force of all these "boards" existing across the country.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
How low the expectations have become that we create a hire CGC thread as some weird celebration/chest thumping after a loss.

With that said, much better effort. Glad Yates was in there, needed to move around back there to have some kind of offense. Maybe this will be the turning point? Idk just never celebrated a loss before.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
How low the expectations have become that we create a hire CGC thread as some weird celebration/chest thumping after a loss.

With that said, much better effort. Glad Yates was in there, needed to move around back there to have some kind of offense. Maybe this will be the turning point? Idk just never celebrated a loss before.
I don’t think any of us are celebrating a loss, but are relieved to see definite signs of progress...for the second week in a row. In the second quarter I saw the team gaining confidence in themselves and the coaches and they played through to the end. They realized they actually can play with the big boys.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I never lost a game the day after. Let's just give credit to a great effort, a great (defensive anyway) game plan, a hard hit that knocked the ball loose from a terrific Clemson running back for a safety, and a perfectly executed onside kick and recovery, and more than a litttle revenge motivation against a good Clemson team. If Tech can't replicate this performance every week, okay. But I was pleasantly surprised. And that 4th down tackle on the shovel pass was blown up not by the defensive line but a 5th year linebacker who saw it developing and veered back to the inside. Everybody out there as far as I know is a scholarship football player, you know.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Shhhh…. It’s been almost 30 hours since someone posted anything on the “Fire CGC” thread. 😂

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Would it be fair to characterize this narrow loss as Collins’ best on-field achievement to date? I’m not saying anyone’s celebrating a loss, I’m just curious if we have any wins under Collins that seem as significant as this loss?