Hire Geoff Collins

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No, the coaching issues are still there. Terrible clock management. Plays not getting in, etc. Clemson played as poor a game as they could. Horrible offense by Clemson. We will play teams like UNC who can actually complete forward passes. The score looks good but the coaching issues are still right there. And not letting Gibbs return the kick is just another terrible coaching decision. So far in the 2 games against FBS teams are offense has been not good. It’s gonna take at least 35 to beat UNC and I’ve seen nothing that says Patenaude can do it. The players can but our offensive doesn’t know how.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
No, the coaching issues are still there. Terrible clock management. Plays not getting in, etc. Clemson played as poor a game as they could. Horrible offense by Clemson. We will play teams like UNC who can actually complete forward passes. The score looks good but the coaching issues are still right there. And not letting Gibbs return the kick is just another terrible coaching decision. So far in the 2 games against FBS teams are offense has been not good. It’s gonna take at least 35 to beat UNC and I’ve seen nothing that says Patenaude can do it. The players can but our offensive doesn’t know how.
LOL

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the 7 years was more for the coaches then for the players. But I really didn't think the coaches looked that bad don't think there is a better defense then Clemson. I would have like to see 3 running plays on 1 st 2nd and 3 down .

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think people are just looking for mistakes in our coaches now. No one coaches a perfect game. Everyone is human, everyone makes mistakes. But we were told by the spread (-30) that we shouldn’t even be in the stadium with these guys. We had a great defensive game plan. We set up a completely new offensive set up and tempo to throw of Clemson on defense and set ourselves up for success. We didn’t win, and maybe we could have done things different but can we give the staff a shred of credit for just one moment?

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll give you clock management. That’s all.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I think most of you guys are just happy this L wasn't embarrassing like last year. But it's still an L in the record book. Collins record is now 7-18.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember watching the Tennessee game a few years back - where we lost to Butch-freaking-Jones - and feeling relieved, even after the loss, because it was obvious after the game that we had found our QB, and were in a position where we could win if we would execute. I didn't know that before that game.

I feel the same way after today's game. Was thrilled to see us compete. Was glad to see the offense mostly on schedule, and the defensive scheme keeping Clemson on their toes. Even if this was a loss, it was a damn close one. We were one block and one 2-point conversion away from sending a game against a top-10 team that had already lasted 64 years into overtime.

In the spirit of objectivity, I still am frustrated that 1) we put ourselves in a position to rely on a lot of luck to have a chance of winning, 2) that it came down to one last block, and 3) that our clock management still is negligible, if not awful. We almost tied the game up in spite of ourselves today, which is the frustrating part. But most of those things can be fixed, and I'm hopeful they will be.

Overall, I hate it when we lose. But I was glad to see the effort today, and am more positive about the direction the program is going. On to the next one.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Listen, the players played hard. Very hard. They never gave up or gave in. But, that is the worst Clemson has played in a long time. Their offense is garbage and will lose several games if they don’t figure it out. We still have no offensive identity or rhythm. Yates made some throws and had a nice game, but the coaches decision making is just bad. We should have scored a touchdown at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters. We played not to get beat bad. And we were successful in that.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I think most of you guys are just happy this L wasn't embarrassing like last year. But it's still an L in the record book. Collins record is now 7-18.
I have said (and I think others agree) that it wasn’t the previous Ls that concerned me — it was how we lost. Well, for the first time I feel like I am ok with how we lost. Did we make a few bad decisions? Of course we did. But so did Dabo on the other side with two of the highest paid assistants in college football. Our guys came out with a great game plan and executed it. If it really was the case that Collins called in defensive plays and that was the difference, hopefully we have found something.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Much better defensive game plan. I know that Clemson's offense isn't what it was (Elite in the literal sense of the word), but I think it is still a top 25 offense. Coupled with what is probably the best D in the nation they will still be top ten at the end of the year.

Our coaches had a great overall strategy, a good defensive plan and the players gave it their freaking all. I'm still not sold on Pnut, and can not for the life of me figure out why we can't get plays in on-time like every other P5, G5, FCS and High School team in the nation.

I'm super proud of the players, liked what I saw on D against the run, and really still concerned with overall O and particularly our ability to execute the basics of coaching like play calls and time-outs.

Scubapro

Banned
Listen, the players played hard. Very hard. They never gave up or gave in. But, that is the worst Clemson has played in a long time. Their offense is garbage and will lose several games if they don’t figure it out. We still have no offensive identity or rhythm. Yates made some throws and had a nice game, but the coaches decision making is just bad. We should have scored a touchdown at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters. We played not to get beat bad. And we were successful in that.
Agreed...we really need to figure out our red zone offense. P-net tries to be cute inside the 25 and it costs us points and a chance at the win. The biggest tell was right before the shuttle pass play. Patenaude called the play the player's faces and body language were all WTF.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agreed...we really need to figure out our red zone offense. P-net tries to be cute inside the 25 and it costs us points and a chance at the win. The biggest tell was right before the shuttle pass play. Patenaude called the play the player's faces and body language were all WTF.

I have no issue with that play call. Even on the replay it was very clear that we had a guy whiff on a block on their MLB. If that block gets made, he scores without being touched.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am pleased with yesterday.
I remain skeptical about the full season.
Will we be the team that lost to Northern Illinois? Or the team that nearly beat Clemson on the road?
I have NO idea.

Scubapro

Banned
I have no issue with that play call. Even on the replay it was very clear that we had a guy whiff on a block on their MLB. If that block gets made, he scores without being touched.
Like I said he tries to be too cute...I am not arguing that it could have worked but the probability is very small. We asked our O line to execute perfectly against the best part of Clemson's team, their D line. This is why it was a bad call.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
We can nit pick all day long, but their MLB is a very good player who did what very good players do- saw the play unfolding, beat the guard to the spot ( the MLB is probably freakin' fast) and made a play to win the game. It's called being a PLAYMAKER and hopefully we are getting some too.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Like I said he tries to be too cute...I am not arguing that it could have worked but the probability is very small. We asked our O line to execute perfectly against the best part of Clemson's team, their D line. This is why it was a bad call.
The play failed because of a missed block in the hole the ball carrier was supposed to run through. is there a play call that works in this event? I am not being a wise guy here but, seriously, how does a coach overcome that? Do those plays exist?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We can nit pick all day long, but their MLB is a very good player who did what very good players do- saw the play unfolding, beat the guard to the spot ( the MLB is probably freakin' fast) and made a play to win the game. It's called being a PLAYMAKER and hopefully we are getting some too.
True. Give that kid credit for beating his man. Eventually it boils down to that most of the time,

Similar to their OC Elliott. He was a much better coach when he had Lawrence and Etienne.