High praise for Brad Stewart from Ricky Jeune

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
“He has really great hands. His routes are almost perfect. I think that’s going to help him a lot,” said redshirt junior wide receiver Ricky Jeune. Jeune also marvels at Stewart’s athleticism -- at 6-1, he can throw down windmill dunks with ease.

Brad my breakout player this year. I know he's kind of an internet legend around here, but he didn't exactly light it up as a freshman and most of the wr talk has been about the other guys. BS will make his mark in '16.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090116aaa.html

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not gonna lie...that article got me a little. Great story about his grandfather as well.

Brad's a baller. Wish more people on here would acknowledge it. Not gonna wow you with burner's speed or freak size, but he's just a really good athlete that's fundamentally sound in everything he does. That's why he was able to play as a true freshmen. Now that he's gotten stronger and has worked on his explosiveness, I'm excited to see his progression. One of the players I said would make a leap in his second year.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The OL is actually more important to Brad's success this year than he is I believe. If JT has to scramble a lot he's going to be looking for Ricky coming back to the ball most of the time. Hard for us to feature more than 1 receiver unless we can protect. That said, Brad doesn't seem to mind waiting his turn.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The OL is actually more important to Brad's success this year than he is I believe. If JT has to scramble a lot he's going to be looking for Ricky coming back to the ball most of the time. Hard for us to feature more than 1 receiver unless we can protect. That said, Brad doesn't seem to mind waiting his turn.
I think Brad's success is important to the offensive lines success. If he or Jeune or anyone else for that matter can take the top off you see the running game get much better.

slugboy

Staff member
Brad my breakout player this year. I know he's kind of an internet legend around here, but he didn't exactly light it up as a freshman and most of the wr talk has been about the other guys.
Did anyone light it up last year?
I've blotted almost all of last year aside from the FSU game from my memory.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe in Brad's ability in large part because of the competition at WR . . . or, at least, it seems like we have a really talented crop of players. Jeune is the clear-cut #1, so if we look at the options for #2 it's:

- Harland Howell 6'3, 200 lbs (great athlete, physical blocker. He was my pick for surprise player last year).
- Mikell Lands-Davis (really impressed me with his pass-catching abilities at AB last year. Hope we can use him effectively with screens, quick passes, etc.)
- Christian Philpott 6'3, 220 (deep speed. We all thought he would be a star watching his HS tape. . . haven't heard a peep since)
- Antonio Messick 6'3 200 (we've heard rumblings throughout the years that he has all the tools. just never put it together)
- the freshmen (Camp, Hawkins, Dolphus)

I know WRs rotate, so who starts at #2 isn't too big of a deal. But, unless the entire WR crop isn't living up to their talent, brad stewart probably isn't the best athlete, most physical, or the biggest guy of the group. . . implying he's doing a great job executing.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Look. Bottom line. Until he produces on the field folks won't view him as anything else but another player. There is nothing to "acknowledge" other than he appears to be athletic. We can call him a baller all day. But until he produces its just words....

So lets just see. Last year is not a fair year to evaluate a true freshman.

But this year is a fair year to evaluate him. If he is good it will show. If he is just ok, another kid through the program, that will show too.

ACC Bee

Banned
Look. Bottom line. Until he produces on the field folks won't view him as anything else but another player. There is nothing to "acknowledge" other than he appears to be athletic. We can call him a baller all day. But until he produces its just words....

So lets just see. Last year is not a fair year to evaluate a true freshman.

But this year is a fair year to evaluate him. If he is good it will show. If he is just ok, another kid through the program, that will show too.
Just to be fair, he didn't have very many targets last year to my knowledge.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just to be fair, he didn't have very many targets last year to my knowledge.

I could have sworn i said last year was not fair to evaluate him

That means last year was not fair to evaluate him
-targets
-ol sucked
- freshman
-injuries
-blah blah blah

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Hate to hear that about his grandfather. I've known Jim Sr and Jim Jr (Brad's uncle) for quite a while.
Very good story, though.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It's tough in general to evaluate our #2 WR. We've had Melton - who was a pretty good player and made some big plays but didn't get a chance to show how good he was. We've had Kevin Cone - the guy made an NFL team for like 3 or 4 years. That means he's better than most WR's we've had here in our history. And, again, he didn't get a chance to show much. He did make a couple big plays on the rare occasion he got the opportunity. And, then we also had Waller. And, let's face it, until Smelter went down, Waller would've been just another name like the first two. But, he got a chance to show he was actually really good when he became the primary guy in the last 2 1/2 games.

So, my position is that it will be pretty tough to evaluate Brad or anyone else who's not the primary target. But, looking at our WR roster, Brad must be pretty darn good for the simple fact that he beat all the other guys out for the starting spot. He did so as a true frosh and continues to do so now as a true soph. I'm certain he's not just given the spot de facto. If one of the other WR's is better, then they'll end up taking over Brad's or even Jeune's spot as the primary guy.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Not gonna lie...that article got me a little. Great story about his grandfather as well.

Brad's a baller. Wish more people on here would acknowledge it. Not gonna wow you with burner's speed or freak size, but he's just a really good athlete that's fundamentally sound in everything he does. That's why he was able to play as a true freshmen. Now that he's gotten stronger and has worked on his explosiveness, I'm excited to see his progression. One of the players I said would make a leap in his second year.
Hopefully another Jimmy Robinson. One of my favorites of all time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Brad's a baller. Wish more people on here would acknowledge it.

The whole recruiting thing on him got out of hand and probably turned a few people off. With that being said, he is a starter. Thus I and all other rational posters agree he must be a "baller". Don't know of any who suggested otherwise.I have known quite a few coaches in my day. While they have their own tendencies, idiosyncracies and preferences, to a man they always start/play the best people they have. Conspiracy theories in this arena simply do not exist based on my experience.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not privy to first hand knowledge so I'm going to go with my gut here and I believe he will be a very good player the rest of his career. Will he be the guy to draw double coverage, I don't know. It seems that CPJ is confident so I'm going with that.

Milwaukee

Banned
Jeune isn't gonna come out with a negative soundbite in regards to his teammate Stewart. Stewart won't be on the field much after the first week or so imo.