Heupel from UCF hired at UT

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Tennessee should be a cautionary tale for Tech fans. Firing and hiring coaches because you have an unrealistic view of your current situation can destroy your program. It will probably close to a decade depending on the harshness of the NCAA before they recover and are competitive again in the SEC.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I think you meant to say that Tennessee Tech will get jackhammered. UNC has already proven that you don't need to worry about silly things like classes, and LSU has shown that handing out money on the sidelines on national TV merely gets a slap on the wrist....I am sure UT will find a way to navigate through this with only nominal penalties since they have cleaned up their act (wink, wink). TT on the other hand probably left someone's phone number at the local Wendy's and will get buggered for it.....all the while self-reporting and begging forgiveness.
Sounds about right....
Canadian Agree GIF by CBC

slugboy

Staff member
TN just isn’t the great job it once was. Word is Kiffin (yes Kiffin part 2), Freeze, and Napier all turned it down. I don’t know enough about Heupel but I know TN fanbase isn’t thrilled about the hire.
Wait—FREEZE turned it down?
Either he wants to stay at Liberty (understandable, considering the level they’re at), or something else is up.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
TN just isn’t the great job it once was. Word is Kiffin (yes Kiffin part 2), Freeze, and Napier all turned it down. I don’t know enough about Heupel but I know TN fanbase isn’t thrilled about the hire.
I'm sure not knowing what is coming down the pipe from the NCAA didn't help. But with them being in the SEC I'm sure it will be something harsh like they can't give the players a Coke at dinner only water with very little ice.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Either he wants to stay at Liberty (understandable, considering the level they’re at), or something else is up.
I thought I read somewhere that Freeze wasn't necessarily going to be let back into the SEC just yet. His departure from Ole Miss was under the black cloud of recruiting violations so it might not have been a great look to bring in a guy like that to a place where they are going to get sanctioned for recruiting violations. I am sure the NCAA would look at that and say "hmmm... your way of showing you are going to clean things up is by hiring a guy who had recruiting violations at his last SEC stop?"

slugboy

Staff member
I thought I read somewhere that Freeze wasn't necessarily going to be let back into the SEC just yet. His departure from Ole Miss was under the black cloud of recruiting violations so it might not have been a great look to bring in a guy like that to a place where they are going to get sanctioned for recruiting violations. I am sure the NCAA would look at that and say "hmmm... your way of showing you are going to clean things up is by hiring a guy who had recruiting violations at his last SEC stop?"
I think those are better arguments for why Tennessee wouldn’t offer Freeze. I could see Freeze turn it down because of possible sanctions, but it’s still kind of amazing

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Freeze never applied and wouldn't have been considered. The UT president pretty much made that clear from the beginning.

"“You don’t clean house of a bunch of people who aren’t following compliance and go out and get other people that don’t seem to have a record of following compliance,” Boyd told Knox News.

That leaves Freeze out."

From the article linked below:

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Seriously, what do you think made UT a great job 20 years ago? I'm curious. Other than a big stadium, do they have any competitive advantages vs UGA, UF, etc? Did they just catch lightning in a bottle, or did they cheat and not get caught, or???

slugboy

Staff member
I have UT family, but haven’t asked them about it. If this is like I’m used to, they were split between wanting Urban Meyer and John Gruden.