Here's An Analysis Of The 2020 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets By College Football News

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think it is entirely possible to have attendance less than 30,000. It’s happened before and just looks awful.

The end of Pepper's time most notably. I was watching a you tube replay of a game in 1985 at Grant Field with Tech playing Tennessee or Clemson, can't remember which and let me tell you the east stands were full and rocking. The announcers even talked about how loud it was when the band was playing Ramblin Wreck.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My Tennessee friends are telling me that Coach Collins is a Butch Jones clone after his appearance on the Packer and Durham show:vomit: I tell them Geoff is a better head coach than Butch and he in my opinion is. the best recruiter Georgia Tech has had since Bobby Dodd:cigar:

He is the best recruiter. No doubt about it. The way he handles the media and high school coaches is very much reminiscent of Coach Dodd. We will see but I can tell from comments that another three win season will have the natives restless regardless of the difficulty of the schedule. Some will say that is not fair given the circumstances but its a tough business and if you are not at a factory it is only going to get harder.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is largely true but Tech fans, grumpy and complaining though they may be, are generally a lot more forgiving than most fan bases. I cannot think of one coach that was fired in the last 50 years that did not have every opportunity to get the job done. Carson, Pepper, Bill Lewis, Chan, you name it and all of them were given a fair chance. Can you see Tech doing what FSU and Miami have done in the past? Willie T didn't even finish out year two. Being a former Cane quarterback and alumnus with a fine coaching pedigree did not save MR at Miami either.
I agree we are better than most, and I certainly would be shocked if we did what FSU or Arkansas did, barring total chaos. I'm just saying it's a new era, no way CGC works that entire 7 year contract without some progress year to year.

FWIW, progress to me isn't totally on the record itself. If we beat the six weakest teams that isn't as impressive to me as getting better as the year goes on. I'd rather win 4 with 3 of those at the end of the year (especially Athens Community College) than beat the six weakest and go to the Potato Bowl. If we look like it's coming together by week 8/9 then I'll be happier.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He is the best recruiter. No doubt about it. The way he handles the media and high school coaches is very much reminiscent of Coach Dodd. We will see but I can tell from comments that another three win season will have the natives restless regardless of the difficulty of the schedule. Some will say that is not fair given the circumstances but its a tough business and if you are not at a factory it is only going to get harder.
No doubt CGC is a great recruiter I just hope P'nut will help him or if not that he will see it before it's too late.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree we are better than most, and I certainly would be shocked if we did what FSU or Arkansas did, barring total chaos. I'm just saying it's a new era, no way CGC works that entire 7 year contract without some progress year to year.

FWIW, progress to me isn't totally on the record itself. If we beat the six weakest teams that isn't as impressive to me as getting better as the year goes on. I'd rather win 4 with 3 of those at the end of the year (especially Athens Community College) than beat the six weakest and go to the Potato Bowl. If we look like it's coming together by week 8/9 then I'll be happier.
The real test is you have to beat the teams you are better than something we didn't do lase year, than see how the rest of the season plays out. A close loss is a loss.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The real test is you have to beat the teams you are better than something we didn't do lase year, than see how the rest of the season plays out. A close loss is a loss.
I 100% agree with this sentiment. However I think there was only 1 team last year that Tech was definitely better than, and that turned into a disaster. Losing games to teams you’re better than is a problem that’s plagued Tech for decades, and really it’s a pretty universal problem. It’s what makes that 2009 UGAg game hurt that much more. Just about every team is guaranteed to play one horrible game per year. The teams that still find a way to win those games are the ones that are elite. Beating teams you’re supposed to is step 1 in a rebuilding process. Step 2 is winning games against evenly matched teams. Step 3 is upsetting better teams. Step 4 is being favored in every game, and winning every game because you’re supposed to ( a la Alabama & Clemson, and LSU this year).

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree on principle, and if this was deeper in his tenure I would be 100% with you. However, let me ask you this - would you feel better if we beat Gardner, UCF, Duke, and Pitt or Gardner, ND, Miami, georgie? The record is exactly the same, but you're beating teams that have out-recruited you (forget Gardner-Webb) and you're finishing strong. I'd rather have the latter scenario, NO - I'd rather go 3-9 with the 3 being the last 3 than 6-6 vs. the weakest on our schedule. How would you feel about 2021 with that finish?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I agree on principle, and if this was deeper in his tenure I would be 100% with you. However, let me ask you this - would you feel better if we beat Gardner, UCF, Duke, and Pitt or Gardner, ND, Miami, georgie? The record is exactly the same, but you're beating teams that have out-recruited you (forget Gardner-Webb) and you're finishing strong. I'd rather have the latter scenario, NO - I'd rather go 3-9 with the 3 being the last 3 than 6-6 vs. the weakest on our schedule. How would you feel about 2021 with that finish?
I will take 5-7 or 6-6 because with the huge amount of bowl games the ACC is connected to Georgia Tech will be likely to be going bowling in 2020

Scubapro

Banned
Thats a valid point...beating georgie, duh u and ND would change the flavor of things. Also depends on the losses...are we getting 50+ hung on us by duke, vt and unc, while we fail to score an offensive point.
IDK . not a fan of picking your poison scenarios. How about being in a position to win in the last 60 seconds of each game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No doubt CGC is a great recruiter I just hope P'nut will help him or if not that he will see it before it's too late.

I don't get this emotional attachment to assistants. Sometimes you have to be ruthless in weeding out the help. Dodd said in his biography that early in his head coaching stint at Tech he had to let two assistants go who had been with Coach Alexander. Sadly the game had passed them by. He hired two outstanding assistants to replace them: Frank Broyles (for whom the assistant coaching award is named and later head coach at Arkansas) and Ray Graves who turned Florida around and is credited by some in Gator Nation with completely rebuilding a program that had become a laughingstock. It is a tough business and Coach Collins may have to make some hard decisions in the future if he wants to truly leave his mark on the Flats.

Scubapro

Banned
I don't get this emotional attachment to assistants. Sometimes you have to be ruthless in weeding out the help. Dodd said in his biography that early in his head coaching stint at Tech he had to let two assistants go who had been with Coach Alexander. Sadly the game had passed them by. He hired two outstanding assistants to replace them: Frank Broyles (for whom the assistant coaching award is named and later head coach at Arkansas) and Ray Graves who turned Florida around and is credited by some in Gator Nation with completely rebuilding a program that had become a laughingstock. It is a tough business and Coach Collins may have to make some hard decisions in the future if he wants to truly leave his mark on the Flats.

Not MAY...he WILL need to make changes...hopefully before spring

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well in that case if we won the last 3 games that would be better cause it would jump start them into next year. But over all I would rather win more than 4 games. I hate to lose and point blank if we beat uga we would win more than 4 games.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not MAY...he WILL need to make changes...hopefully before spring

Could be but who and why? None of us really know what is going on behind closed doors so we have to trust Coach Collins to make the right decisions on coaching assistants. After all, its his team and his head on the platter if things don't turn out.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well in that case if we won the last 3 games that would be better cause it would jump start them into next year. But over all I would rather win more than 4 games. I hate to lose and point blank if we beat uga we would win more than 4 games.

I am of the mind, personally speaking of course, that any year in which Tech beats either UGA or Miami or Clemson can't be all bad. I know I am in a minority but beating UVA, UNC, NC State, Virginia Tech, Pitt or the Cuse just does not move the meter for me like beating Duke, Miami, Clemson or UGA. It just ain't the same. I am not saying it covers all sin like our Savior.... but its close.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ok not sure how would saying 4 or 5 wins is not an improvement and saying I would not be happy with 4 Or 5 wins That much different. Why would anyone be happy losing more than you win. We have some very good players that did not play or played very little last year after getting hurt. I see every position being better than last year ( other than the LB's) yes lots are freshman and red shirt freshman but look to be good players. We want to recuirt like the big schools and we can ( not all 4 and 5 star players but very good). The big boys win players leave and they reload , I see us in the load part they are young will make mistakes but still if no one gets hurt for the season I just think 6 or more wins is in reach. We have very good coaches who I trust ( other than P'nut which gets a pass from last year) I like the defense staff and I like CBK and now he will have some players he wanted.
That really is a demeaning nickname, whether intended or not. Besides which ventriloquist Jeff Dunham has made a fortune with that particular one. I know it will not, but I do wish it would just stop,