Here's a thought

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The search may have already started. There is nothing technically keeping GTAA from doing so. The search does not have to wait until the end of the season.
Absolutely... I hope the search is already in full swing. That’s not to say I’m rooting against anyone but I sure hope we have a shortlist identified, whether we ultimately act on it or not.
As usual I tended toward sloppy brevity rather than accurately conveying my thoughts... when typing “search” I am thinking... I hope we’re chasing some great candidates and I would expect said candidate will have other suitors and I hope we don’t have any contractual constraints that would prevent us from locking down said candidate as quickly as we need to. ;)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Fans in the seats at mid season may be the true test. Regardless of record.
Our mid season home games are against Duke and UVA. Those probably won't be well attended even if we are undefeated at that point. If we are 1-4 going into those games it will be a ghost town.

slugboy

Staff member
we have people on here that straight up aren’t fans and it’s getting laughable to watch them spend the entire summer trying to devise new ways to **** on the team. now that our rivals don’t care about us cause we’re so bad (their words not mine) our last true rival is the negative nancies that talk more **** about tech than any of our rivals ever have.

just gotta have someone compare this to when their company hired/fired someone and how the company did such a good job while tech doesn’t, and we will have truly checked every box and gotten the swarm bingo

Over the past week, and probably longer, we’ve had a rash of indirect and direct questioning of character, intellect, or fanhood. This post is one of those indirect fanhood denigrations. What we want is a focus on the content of the posts, without name-calling, including “boomer” or “woke” or “zoomer” or “fake fan”.

Some of the people being negative have consistently watched games since Pepper Rodgers or earlier. If you kept watching through Rodgers, most of Curry (there was one good year in there), and Lewis, you’re a die-hard fan. You might be a really NEGATIVE die-hard fan, but you’re a die-hard fan.

Fan negativism does hurt Georgia Tech sports. It makes it less fun to be in the stands when somebody is grumping around you all the time. Fan negativism is a constant of Atlanta Sports, but GT seems to have it worse. The players hear it, the other fans hear it, our coaches hear it, and coaches at other schools hear it and that affects how much they want to come here. I’m sure it hurts the morale at the AA.

Other fan bases get upset when they’re losing. Philly is no fun when you aren’t winning, and Boston definitely isn’t. No one expects everyone to be pollyannas when we’re going through a bunch of rough years like we are. People need to vent. Constant whining is no fun for people though.

Just think of this—is there a person at work who does nothing but complain? Who wants to talk with them? Who enjoys talking with them?

The answer isn’t calling out other fans fanhood, though.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Our mid season home games are against Duke and UVA. Those probably won't be well attended even if we are undefeated at that point. If we are 1-4 going into those games it will be a ghost town.
The Duke game is homecoming so I'd really hope it's not a ghost town

JacketFan137

Banned
Over the past week, and probably longer, we’ve had a rash of indirect and direct questioning of character, intellect, or fanhood. This post is one of those indirect fanhood denigrations. What we want is a focus on the content of the posts, without name-calling, including “boomer” or “woke” or “zoomer” or “fake fan”.

Some of the people being negative have consistently watched games since Pepper Rodgers or earlier. If you kept watching through Rodgers, most of Curry (there was one good year in there), and Lewis, you’re a die-hard fan. You might be a really NEGATIVE die-hard fan, but you’re a die-hard fan.

Fan negativism does hurt Georgia Tech sports. It makes it less fun to be in the stands when somebody is grumping around you all the time. Fan negativism is a constant of Atlanta Sports, but GT seems to have it worse. The players hear it, the other fans hear it, our coaches hear it, and coaches at other schools hear it and that affects how much they want to come here. I’m sure it hurts the morale at the AA.

Other fan bases get upset when they’re losing. Philly is no fun when you aren’t winning, and Boston definitely isn’t. No one expects everyone to be pollyannas when we’re going through a bunch of rough years like we are. People need to vent. Constant whining is no fun for people though.

Just think of this—is there a person at work who does nothing but complain? Who wants to talk with them? Who enjoys talking with them?

The answer isn’t calling out other fans fanhood, though.
that’s fair. i still maintain the opinion that it is questionable to call yourself a fan of something if it truly brings you nothing but misery. at the end of the day unless there are coaching staff members/players commenting on here on burner accounts, georgia tech football is a completely elective hobby for everyone on here. when it has been something you have not had anything nice to say about it at that point you are just a detractor and not a fan.

things are grim, there’s obviously a need to vent, but venting is not a 24/7 365 activity. at that point you’re just bringing down those around you. like you said no one wants to interact with these people at work. it’s just genuinely a drain on the people trying to have a good time

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
that’s fair. i still maintain the opinion that it is questionable to call yourself a fan of something if it truly brings you nothing but misery. at the end of the day unless there are coaching staff members/players commenting on here on burner accounts, georgia tech football is a completely elective hobby for everyone on here. when it has been something you have not had anything nice to say about it at that point you are just a detractor and not a fan.

things are grim, there’s obviously a need to vent, but venting is not a 24/7 365 activity. at that point you’re just bringing down those around you. like you said no one wants to interact with these people at work. it’s just genuinely a drain on the people trying to have a good time
On the other hand, yes there are Negative Nancys, but I've noticed that someone can post ten positive things for one negative one, and the positive is ignored while the negative is jumped on with both feet and the poster falsely called a bad fan for his one discouraging word. It's a lie, it's extremely divisive, and it's getting OLD.

slugboy

Staff member
On the other hand, yes there are Negative Nancys, but I've noticed that someone can post ten positive things for one negative one, and the positive is ignored while the negative is jumped on with both feet and the poster falsely called a bad fan for his one discouraging word. It's a lie, it's extremely divisive, and it's getting OLD.
A 10:1 positive:negative ratio is really unusual in most threads. If it’s that unusual in most threads, it’s probably not the ratio for most users, either.

There are multiple problems.
  1. Attacking the authors instead of the post.
  2. Veiled slights
  3. Repetitive negative posts. How often have you seen basically the same post or vent appear in multiple threads during a day, often from the same user?
These problems feed each other.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A 10:1 positive:negative ratio is really unusual in most threads. If it’s that unusual in most threads, it’s probably not the ratio for most users, either.

There are multiple problems.
  1. Attacking the authors instead of the post.
  2. Veiled slights
  3. Repetitive negative posts. How often have you seen basically the same post or vent appear in multiple threads during a day, often from the same user?
These problems feed each other.
Not 10:1 positive/negative in the same thread, but overall. If it's 5:1 or even 3:1, same principle applies. And the 10, 5, or 3 is ignored while the 1 offered as proof of "hating Tech" or "hating CGC", two insinuations that have been thrown in my direction, for instance. This "Hates Tech" B.S. is waaayyy over the top. There is nothing more incendiary on this board than that perpetually repeated lie. We just had a sidewalk fan thread where lip service was paid, and then it was quickly back to business as usual.

1. Yes, I understand attacking the author instead of the post is wrong.
2. "Veiled slights". Been on the business end of a lot more of those than I've offered. Seen a gob of those from the fan police.
3. "Repetitive negative posts"? I've seen a great deal of repetition out of the fan police. Same negativity, over and over. "Hates Tech", or "Hates CGC", or some variation. Over and over, ad nauseum.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Posting on a message board is also a fully elective hobby. If the negativity bothers you that much then an internet message board for a team with a deservedly disgruntled fan base might not be the best use of your time. Why put yourself through that? The internet in general leans very negative. Your example about people at work is an interesting one. Sure in the office you won't find too many people complaining this much. Go check out blind.com for your company and tell me if it is the same. The negativity on that site about pretty much every company makes this site look like a bunch of pollyannas.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Either your turnover was very high or you wasted a lot of someone’s time.😄
It's an annual exercise at well performing companies, we use a 9 square for the entire team. Lower left gets reviewed for moving along, top rights get fast tracked. 10-12 replacements for CEOs, VPs or other leadership/ critical skill positions does seem a little bit high. We have 3-5 for most positions. They usually fall into high ceiling/ high calibre ready now talent, elite talent that needs more time in current role or needs experience in a different role, highly experienced mature performers, others in consideration. I'd think most high quality companies have a minimum of 8-10% of their positions opening every year, normal companies more like 15-20%. That's 10-12 years in role in very stable companies and that's a long time in 1 spot these days, 5-8 years for average ones I'd think.