Here's a thought

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Questions...

Anyone have any idea what he has been paid year to date 2022?
Is the buyout really dropping $3M as of the end of the season?

The reason I ask is because he is making about $3M per year. I have no idea if that runs a calendar year, or a football season start, or a football season finish. Theoretically the buyout drops because it assumes we’ve paid him his salary for 2022, so if he were fired with a third of 2022 left and you had to pay the increased buyout, would the $3M difference not be offset (at least somewhat) by about $1M... the portion of the year unpaid?

The point still stands if the actual figure is $2M... that’s a lot of money to eat. Im not sure I buy this notion of getting in the coaching search early either, as no one successful is committing until the end of the season anyway. My gut says the only reason to do this early is if we have our next coach on staff already (lots of conjecture; debated already) or if the guy you want is not currently working and you can announce and start the transition now.
Otherwise, let it ride this year and work on keeping kids interested and working hard. Nothing prevents talking and even interviewing (quietly) once we know it’s a foregone conclusion...

From the article:
"All told, the value of Collins’ seven-year contract is $23.1 million.

If he were to be fired within the first four years, Collins would receive 100 percent of the remaining value of the deal. After that, he would receive $2.4 million for each remaining season."

Through the end of this season, he will have made ~$12.4 million (about $3.1 million per year, on average). If he's let go after this year, he'll be due $7.2 million severance pay. If he's let go before the season ends, he'll get the whole $23.1 million. for the seven-year contract.

So, 23.1 - 12.4 = 10.7.
10.7 - 7.2 = 3.5.

Letting him go before the end of 2022 would cost Tech ~$3.5 million plus whatever we'd have to pay the interim, as I understand it.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The point still stands if the actual figure is $2M... that’s a lot of money to eat. Im not sure I buy this notion of getting in the coaching search early either, as no one successful is committing until the end of the season anyway. My gut says the only reason to do this early is if we have our next coach on staff already (lots of conjecture; debated already) or if the guy you want is not currently working and you can announce and start the transition now.
VT hired Brent Pry Nov. 30th
Florida hired Billy Napier Nov 28th
USC hired Lincoln Riley Nov 28th
LSU hired Brian Kelly Dec 1st
Texas Tech hired their new HC Joey Mcguire Nov 8th

Most of these are "at the end of the year" BUT still fall before the date we'd save that money on Collins' contract. I'm having trouble finding it currently but I believe it's a date of December 12th? 16th? Something like that. So it really goes a couple weeks beyond the end of the year. And those couple of weeks are crucial.

If anyone can find that exact date or can correct me that'd be appreciated. I just remember reading that at some point and really thinking that was the worst part of the contract. That even if we fired him the day after our last game it would still be guaranteed as it extended into December.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The difference is that if he is fired before the end of year 4 his contract is fully guaranteed so he would be paid the full remaining value of the contract.
If he is fired after season 4 then the contract is not fully guaranteed and he would be paid a set amount of money ($2.4MM per year) for the remaining 3 years. So that is what is causing the $3MM difference,
Say Geoff's fired before the end of the season and an interim coach is installed, already on staff. What's a ballpark figure on how much (if anything) would he be expected to get in addition to his current salary? I tried to find something on that but was unsuccessful.

kalld12

Banned
Say Geoff's fired before the end of the season and an interim coach is installed, already on staff. What's a ballpark figure on how much (if anything) would he be expected to get in addition to his current salary? I tried to find something on that but was unsuccessful.
You're asking a question no-one here knows about. Idk why this is even a true discussion at this point. Has CGC been fired yet? No. Maybe wait a little and you'll find out or you wont.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You're asking a question no-one here knows about. Idk why this is even a true discussion at this point. Has CGC been fired yet? No. Maybe wait a little and you'll find out or you wont.
He's asking in case someone here DOES know or has better google-fu than he does. People are allowed to ask questions.

@bobongo It looks like Bob Stoops was offered $325k to be the interim HC at Oklahoma, which he turned down. I also found where Greg Knox received an additional $25k on top of the bowl bonus ($48.5k) to interim coach UF through the Gasparilla bowl, even though Napier had already been hired. So it seems like coaches get a decent bump on their assistant pay, but not getting pushed into the HC pay arena.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
VT hired Brent Pry Nov. 30th
Florida hired Billy Napier Nov 28th
USC hired Lincoln Riley Nov 28th
LSU hired Brian Kelly Dec 1st
Texas Tech hired their new HC Joey Mcguire Nov 8th

Most of these are "at the end of the year" BUT still fall before the date we'd save that money on Collins' contract. I'm having trouble finding it currently but I believe it's a date of December 12th? 16th? Something like that. So it really goes a couple weeks beyond the end of the year. And those couple of weeks are crucial.

If anyone can find that exact date or can correct me that'd be appreciated. I just remember reading that at some point and really thinking that was the worst part of the contract. That even if we fired him the day after our last game it would still be guaranteed as it extended into December.
Fair point... I have no idea what constitutes “end” of 2022 contractually. Surely it’s the end of the season because good heavens help us if we knowingly sabotaged our coaching search until the end of the year! :ROFLMAO:
Barring a minor miracle, I don’t think there will be any more coaching duties as of the evening of November 26th, but I have no idea how that relates to the contractual obligation of completing the year.
In a scenario where we’re entering late November with no chance at a bowl and presumably little prospect of a miraculous upset in Athens, surely an agreement could be reached so we can get a jump on our search. It would be hard to start that process in September or October... that was really my point, but you do pose a very interesting question as moves will need to be made in November/December

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
A) If we lose to WCU (which I can’t imagine even CGC pulling off) he’s done that day. No questions asked. You can’t move forward after that with him as HC. It’s not gonna happen so it’s a total hypothetical

B) even though he has a contract with a guaranteed buyout, if things go south (or if they just continue on the path as they have for three seasons and they decide they need to make a change, there are ways to negotiate that buyout amount down. CGC can certainly dig in his heels and demand his full buyout, but unless he wants to burn his bridges in the eyes of any future employer, he would be HIGHLY incentivized to negotiate a settlement. Keep in mind if GT needs to make a change, whether in mid season or end of the year, CGC would be done as a HC (barring some bizarre redemption tour via FCS or G5) so he would really want to keep a good name in the industry by working out an equitable and amicable resolution. He ain’t got enough points in the bank to dig on the contract unless he is looking to change careers.

Note that both A and B are hypothetical. In either scenario, ADTS is gone as well as he will not be allowed to lead a 2nd search. IIWII

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He's asking in case someone here DOES know or has better google-fu than he does. People are allowed to ask questions.

@bobongo It looks like Bob Stoops was offered $325k to be the interim HC at Oklahoma, which he turned down. I also found where Greg Knox received an additional $25k on top of the bowl bonus ($48.5k) to interim coach UF through the Gasparilla bowl, even though Napier had already been hired. So it seems like coaches get a decent bump on their assistant pay, but not getting pushed into the HC pay arena.
Thanks. I was just trying to get some ballpark idea of how much interim coaches make. You answered my question.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I wrote extensively on this on other sites. His contract salary started at $3.0 million and increases $100K per season. If he is fired before end of year 4 (2022 after dwag game) Tech would have to pay the full amount of contract. Through 2022 season he will have been paid $12.6 million. The remaining years as follows: 2023 is $3.4 million, 2024 is $3.5 million, and 2025 is $3.6 million. That's $10.5 million. If he is fired after the dwag game, his guarantee expires and the buyout is $2.4 million for each year remaining on the contract, or $7.2 million. It would cost an extra $3.3 million to fire him mid-season. He has no incentive to negotiate that down, it's a solid standard agreement.

If the tea leaves indicate a change will be made, every competent AD has a list of candidates at the ready at all times and up to date, with lines of communication already established. Backdoor feelers will begin immediately to confirm the top candidates are still interested and even begin preliminary talks on structure... all done through representatives. When the firing becomes official, finalists will already have been lined up for interviews or the choice will already have been made.

I wrote elsewhere:

I can't see a midseason change at coach. There's a pretty big financial reason to let the season play out since the fully guaranteed provision of the contract expires only after the dwag game this year. It's the difference between stroking a check for $10.5 million vs $7.2 million for the buyout just for a knee-jerk emotional reaction in the middle of a season already lost. That $3.3 million would help bolster the assistant coaches' budget.

However, my real question, after the current AD threw his "I have My Man" rebuke back on the faction of boosters who wanted and were ready to bankroll a coaching change after 100-0. and they made it very clear to the AD that his own future at Tech is lashed to the success or failure of the football coach this year since he took his side, is whether the AD will be permitted to be the one making the next hire after all that's gone down. I have serious doubts about that, and IF not, the AD doesn't have a $10 million buyout to protect him. An AD needs to be in place for a couple months to establish their own systems and program within the building, get situated, and IF the change is coming get a head start on contacting the AD's list of candidates that every AD has at the ready through back door channels to vet interested candidates. If the record is 1-4 or 2-4 when October rolls around, that leaves the amount of time I just laid out for an organized transition process and be prepared to begin interviews immediately after the dwag game IF a change is going to be made, and make a decision while all potential candidates are still available and give the new coach time to aggressively get after salvaging a recruiting class before both signing periods.

Last edited:

kalld12

Banned

Theoretical as if our season is doomed and we're going to hire someone from within. I'm sorry i just don't understand why were thinking about that right now when toe meets leather in less than a month. Must be a CGC hater. I like to think were going to win 5+ games and hang some points on these suckers writing us off for some major upsets.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If he's relieved of duties before end of the 2022 season, his entire contract is fully guaranteed so he would get paid for the remainder of this season plus $10.5 million for the remaining three seasons on the contract.

If he's relieved after the season ends, the guarantee expires and he gets $7.2 million for the remaining three seasons.

If he is going to be fired, it's a lost season anyway so they should allow him to lame duck it until December and save $3.3 million off the buyout

However, the AD could be fired mid season - he doesn't have a $10 million buyout - which would give the new AD time to establish their program, get settled in, and get a head start on vetting candidates for the next coach in time for December interviews.
Or, if Collins bombs again this season, he just might want the opportunity to resign before the end of the season, without early termination penalty to Tech, so he won’t have the additional losses (and, maybe, blow-outs) as he tries to resurrect his coaching career.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Theoretical as if our season is doomed and we're going to hire someone from within. I'm sorry i just don't understand why were thinking about that right now when toe meets leather in less than a month. Must be a CGC hater. I like to think were going to win 5+ games and hang some points on these suckers writing us off for some major upsets.
He's just curious how interim head coaches are compensated and used our current situation to frame it. If you can't accept that having an interim head coach this season is a possibility regardless of how gold-tinted the glasses you wear are, I don't know what to tell you.

JacketFan137

Banned
we have people on here that straight up aren’t fans and it’s getting laughable to watch them spend the entire summer trying to devise new ways to **** on the team. now that our rivals don’t care about us cause we’re so bad (their words not mine) our last true rival is the negative nancies that talk more **** about tech than any of our rivals ever have.

just gotta have someone compare this to when their company hired/fired someone and how the company did such a good job while tech doesn’t, and we will have truly checked every box and gotten the swarm bingo

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Or, if Collins bombs again this season, he just might want the opportunity to resign before the end of the season, without early termination penalty to Tech, so he won’t have the additional losses (and, maybe, blow-outs) as he tries to resurrect his coaching career.
Not sure quitting mid-season would help his coaching career, that's generally frowned upon.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
$3.3 million in exchange for maybe salvaging some pride? Uh-uh.

Whether he leaves in October or December, his coaching ceiling is going to be as a defensive assistant or coordinator for a number of years, and he'll have to show proven success at it before any FBS program considers him for head coach again. They "have tape" on his head coaching performance and how he "led" the Tech program to maybe a 10-29 (if fired after 1-4 start) or 13-23 record, with all the circus antics to boot.

That $3.3 million might take him 6-10 years to earn back as an assistant depending on whether Saban puts him back through his Coach-Laundering machine. And after what he did to Tech football, he may have to go through the "Sturdy" wash cycle two or three times to get enough of the stain out..

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
we have people on here that straight up aren’t fans and it’s getting laughable to watch them spend the entire summer trying to devise new ways to **** on the team. now that our rivals don’t care about us cause we’re so bad (their words not mine) our last true rival is the negative nancies that talk more **** about tech than any of our rivals ever have.

just gotta have someone compare this to when their company hired/fired someone and how the company did such a good job while tech doesn’t, and we will have truly checked every box and gotten the swarm bingo
Here we go again. I was at GT from 88-92 and then from 07-10. Saw us win 3 (one against a top 10 USCe team). Was at the Citrus Bowl in 1990. Have seen us win in Athens. Thought B**l L***s was a good hire then saw quickly he wasn’t. Was damn confident after the Citadel game that we made a mistake with CGC and there’s been literally nothing in three seasons to show anything better or different. Am hoping for improvement but don’t really believe it will happen

But please do continue to educate us on what a GT fan is. We can always learn something

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This entire thread is about whether Collins gets canned if he wins five games. This is what I said on another thread, which you totally ignored:

"But no one knows that. We can speculate that they appear worse on paper, but college football is too unpredictable to know what will happen. Let me do some speculation:

Jeff Sims puts it all together and has a great season. It's possible - he has the tools and experience under his belt. On top of that he has new coaches who promise to be a big improvement.
The O-line makes a big stride forward. Transfers blossom, and also some guys we've had here for a couple of years come into their own. Brent Key finds the key to making it all click, with help from Chip Long.
We have the talent at receiver and running back in place to make use of an improved O-line, and the offense sparkles.

Keion White terrorizes opposing QB's and they have to double-team him, which gives a boost to the whole DL.
Our new DB coach makes a difference like night and day and the D-backfield is greatly augmented by a fierce pass rush.
Linebackers play better as well, boosted by improvements elsewhere on the defense.
Collins lives up to his past DC reputation and teaches Thacker some new tricks. The defense is greatly improved over last season.

All that may not be likely, but it is all possible. We have more talent on this team than most are giving credit for IMO. All I'm saying is, this is college football and it's unpredictable. No one can say with any certainty what will happen, but every bit of this is within the realm of possibility. And we don't know what will happen until toe meets leather on September 5."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Fair point... I have no idea what constitutes “end” of 2022 contractually. Surely it’s the end of the season because good heavens help us if we knowingly sabotaged our coaching search until the end of the year! :ROFLMAO:
Barring a minor miracle, I don’t think there will be any more coaching duties as of the evening of November 26th, but I have no idea how that relates to the contractual obligation of completing the year.
In a scenario where we’re entering late November with no chance at a bowl and presumably little prospect of a miraculous upset in Athens, surely an agreement could be reached so we can get a jump on our search. It would be hard to start that process in September or October... that was really my point, but you do pose a very interesting question as moves will need to be made in November/December
The search may have already started. There is nothing technically keeping GTAA from doing so. The search does not have to wait until the end of the season.