Here's a thought

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect, but you claiming he's a prominent donor holds absolutely no weight without proper proof. I don't you from Adams house cat and anyone here who believes you are lying to themselves. You go ahead and die on that hill then because one donor has no sway on what ADTS does. 5 wins as described above and we keep him. Mark this post
one of those needs to be UGA or he is gone

kalld12

Banned
Here are multiple AJC articles which mention Greg Garrett as a major donor.

"Before Georgia Tech began its 2021 season, Steve Zelnak and Gregg Garrett shared optimism about the Yellow Jackets’ season ahead. Their perspective was worth listening to for at least a few reasons.
Both are Golden Jackets, the highest honor given to athletic-department donors, supporters whose lifetime cash gifts are $1 million or more."

Where did the OP tie the exact donor to his comment? Thanks for the link, but once again to the OP, holds no weight if donor isn't clearly called out. This was after the fact

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Disagree.
I realize we are debating future scenarios here but I’m not seeing 5 wins move the needle unless there’s a BIG W late in the season and even then, unless it’s UGA, it may not be big enough.
Since we are playing hypotheticals, I suspect our most likely route to five wins would have us 3-4 after the UVA game, so we would finish 2-3 down the stretch. Yes, those 2 wins would likely be on the road but probably against some pretty poor to average teams. I just don’t think that finish is going to sit well with anyone.
Probably the only scenario where 5 wins could get it done is if we start 1-5 and win 4 of our last 6. That means we’ve dropped home game to Duke, but it would be hard to argue that’s not a positive trend. I think the chances of us winning 6 are better than the chance of this playing out, though.
For that reason, 6 wins is the floor.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
2nd disagree
You guys can live in a dream world all you want but the facts are clear from most of the major supporters. 3-3-3-5 with the large contract penalty being removed is a 100% guarantee he is gone unless one of the 5 is UGA and the team looks like it was getting itself in order.

Now I still think we have a decent chance for 6 or 7 and he probably stays then. But 5 and he is done for.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You guys can live in a dream world all you want but the facts are clear from most of the major supporters. 3-3-3-5 with the large contract penalty being removed is a 100% guarantee he is gone unless one of the 5 is UGA and the team looks like it was getting itself in order.

Now I still think we have a decent chance for 6 or 7 and he probably stays then. But 5 and he is done for.
We will see. A lifelong friend of mine was in the room at the AA during the housecleaning at the end of the season. He said there was no mistaking the message. It's SIX or you're out.

I will maintain what I said months ago. If Geoff goes (and my personal opinion is it is a foregone conclusion that he is), Chip Long will be his replacement the next day. Geoff has lost the fan base and he's not going to get it back. He has just rubbed too many people the wrong way while not winning. Again, just my opinion.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will see. A lifelong friend of mine was in the room at the AA during the housecleaning at the end of the season. He said there was no mistaking the message. It's SIX or you're out.

I will maintain what I said months ago. If Geoff goes (and my personal opinion is it is a foregone conclusion that he is), Chip Long will be his replacement the next day. Geoff has lost the fan base and he's not going to get it back. He has just rubbed too many people the wrong way while not winning. Again, just my opinion.
I don't know about his replacement or when it happens, but he has definitely lost the vast majority of the fan base. Even if he somehow survives this year, a down year following that would be the end. He has not done a very good job connecting with the fans. It has been trying to build his vision of the brand as he sees it. Nothing wrong with that if he had better results.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about his replacement or when it happens, but he has definitely lost the vast majority of the fan base. Even if he somehow survives this year, a down year following that would be the end. He has not done a very good job connecting with the fans. It has been trying to build his vision of the brand as he sees it. Nothing wrong with that if he had better results.
Will he stay or will he go? This is starting to sound like a thread that was on this board before that I can’t quite put my finger on..

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I realize we are debating future scenarios here but I’m not seeing 5 wins move the needle unless there’s a BIG W late in the season and even then, unless it’s UGA, it may not be big enough.
Since we are playing hypotheticals, I suspect our most likely route to five wins would have us 3-4 after the UVA game, so we would finish 2-3 down the stretch. Yes, those 2 wins would likely be on the road but probably against some pretty poor to average teams. I just don’t think that finish is going to sit well with anyone.
Probably the only scenario where 5 wins could get it done is if we start 1-5 and win 4 of our last 6. That means we’ve dropped home game to Duke, but it would be hard to argue that’s not a positive trend. I think the chances of us winning 6 are better than the chance of this playing out, though.
For that reason, 6 wins is the floor.
Sometimes it doesn't really matter. Manny won 7 games last year with two of them over ranked opponents but he lost to FSU. I believe his fate was sealed when they lost to Florida International in 2019. He lost most of the fan base then and it was only a matter of time. The end of the year 0-100 debacle last year may have similarly sealed Geoff's fate unless there is a huge turnaround that is as likely as the moon falling out of the sky. IIWII

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why is everyone high on Chip Long as the next head coach? 0 experience as a head coach. Why not aim high and get Chadwell from Coastal who has a record of establishing a WINNING culture?
Chip Long was considered a legit contender for a top HC job while running the highest production offenses under Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. Following his fall from grace, he is now affordable. (This fits with my theory that Tech can only afford coaches toward the end of their career, those who need rehabilitation (like Long) or up and comers. Proven coaches won't won't Tech and we can't afford them.) He has an excellent reputation as a disciplined coach and is pretty much the complete opposite of Geoff.

But the most important reason is ... if you are going to fire someone, make sure the replacement is already in sight. You don't want to look desperate. This was Homer Rice's advice to TStan as well.

(Note: I am always shocked that TStan did not have a slate of candidates ready to evaluate for CPJ's replacement. When I was running organizations, we had slates of 10-12 people for every position with the goal to never be surprised when someone leaves and make sure you replace them quickly.)

kalld12

Banned

nah brother its you living in a dream world, asking him to beat UGA this year to keep his job after securing 5 wins is just ridiculous. I know even YOU deep down don't believe this. 5 wins and he stays regardless if he beats UGA or not. You'll see, you can keep on living in candy land. Per my top source who's a huge GT donor (am i doing this right?) 5 wins with or without a UGA win, we keep CGC another year.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
Chip Long was considered a legit contender for a top HC job while running the highest production offenses under Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. Following his fall from grace, he is now affordable. (This fits with my theory that Tech can only afford coaches toward the end of their career, those who need rehabilitation (like Long) or up and comers. Proven coaches won't won't Tech and we can't afford them.) He has an excellent reputation as a disciplined coach and is pretty much the complete opposite of Geoff.

But the most important reason is ... if you are going to fire someone, make sure the replacement is already in sight. You don't want to look desperate. This was Homer Rice's advice to TStan as well.

(Note: I am always shocked that TStan did not have a slate of candidates ready to evaluate for CPJ's replacement. When I was running organizations, we had slates of 10-12 people for every position with the goal to never be surprised when someone leaves and make sure you replace them quickly.)
Either your turnover was very high or you wasted a lot of someone’s time.😄

JacketFan137

Banned
Why is everyone high on Chip Long as the next head coach? 0 experience as a head coach. Why not aim high and get Chadwell from Coastal who has a record of establishing a WINNING culture?
rams shouldn’t hire sean mcvay he’s like 30 with no head coaching experience. clemson would be crazy to hire dabo he’s only coached WRs and TEs. kirby smart is a great dc but he has no head coaching experience. ryan day is a great playcaller but he’s never been a head coach. john harbaugh is just a special teams coach no way he’s a good head coach…

could go on forever. a lot of people weren’t head coach material until they were. i’m not saying chip long is gonna be as succesful as these guys but every time this gets brought up it blows my mind people act like he can’t possibly be a head coach

also i sincerely doubt chadwell is an option with this AD. anything resembling the option is probably off the table unless new management comes in. it would be a worse look to spend 4 years getting out of it only to hop right back in

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Either your turnover was very high or you wasted a lot of someone’s time.😄
Quite the opposite. The average length of time to fill a senior role is around 180 days, depending on the role. You can't a let a major role sit idle for that long. (Well, maybe you can.)

My business had average Days of Unfilled Positions < 5. Never skipped a beat.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

CPJ was proven. He came. Why wouldn't Chadwell want to prove his muster on the highest level against the toughest schedule?