Here's a thought

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The latest hs camp at gt did not have a heavy attendance of good players and had lots of PWO hopefuls.

Maybe that's normal, but it would seem w portal, lots of hs kids would be going to camps. I know PWO need to camp and Gt offers a great education .

I wonder if the lower tier portal transfers will be slowing down.

Collins needs a good portal WR asap.
I think this will be a lost year for recruiting. Too much uncertainty with Collins being retained and even if he does his record is so bad that they are looking elsewhere for now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
yeah this is something i think our fanbase is conditioned to based on the previous regimes lack of recruiting effort/resources. to the point where we have people in the fanbase just settling for worse classes and saying things like recruiting is a myth and just money. if that were true why is kirby recruiting at a higher level than mark richt?

idk i think we just have a fanbase that has soured themselves out on recruiting and act like we should just ignore it even though it is basically the only path to relevance in college football
Man, we disagree. Kirby is twice the X’s and O’s Coach that Richt was and Kirby only took the job when he was assured the powers over there allowed him to run the same money laundering scheme that he learned from Saban. The ability to recruit is not much of an issue. The difference between Richt and Kirby was acumen and system.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There’s a basic level a school recruits at, but some coaches recruit substantially better than others. Mack Brown out recruits other head coaches at UNC, and he had better classes at Texas than other Texas head coaches.
TA&M is definitely using the NIL money machine like no one else, but even without it, Jimbo Fisher is a better recruiter than most of his peers.
Recruiting skills aren’t everything, but they are definitely not not “nothing”
I’d agree in years gone by. Say 15 years ago. Nowadays, recruiting skills mean very little. Collins has taught us that. Just buy what you need. We could have hired Riley and bought Caleb Williams and Addison. But for a school that doesn’t put importance on athletics all we can do is hope the ways of the past work. Which we’ve seen don’t.

JacketFan137

Banned
I’d agree in years gone by. Say 15 years ago. Nowadays, recruiting skills mean very little. Collins has taught us that. Just buy what you need. We could have hired Riley and bought Caleb Williams and Addison. But for a school that doesn’t put importance on athletics all we can do is hope the ways of the past work. Which we’ve seen don’t.
this just isn’t really true and if you have any ins with anybody associated with a program at the high school or college level you would know this is entirely false. it’s getting comical the lengths people will go to act like recruiting doesn’t matter and it can’t possibly be done at tech

stop settling. demand more

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
yeah this is something i think our fanbase is conditioned to based on the previous regimes lack of recruiting effort/resources. to the point where we have people in the fanbase just settling for worse classes and saying things like recruiting is a myth and just money. if that were true why is kirby recruiting at a higher level than mark richt?
Kirby Smart has had the highest recruiting budget in the country the last few years, by over $1m/year. It is significantly higher than what Richt was receiving.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Kirby Smart has had the highest recruiting budget in the country the last few years, by over $1m/year. It is significantly higher than what Richt was receiving.

This. After Clemson dumped a ton fo money into recruiting and won a championship georgia alumn and fans were like we have more money than clemson let us do that too. Now Texas AM is doing it. USC will be next.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
GT lose guy with 3 sacks

“Oh no!!! Cancel the season

Opponents lose entire OL or doesn’t believe in the transfer portal to replace quality depth

“They’all be alright”
I mean, if you want to go into Clemson's OL troubles or depth issues that is fine but this started with you claiming their team was ravaged by the transfer portal when in reality they really only lost people who weren't contributing that much. On the OL in particular they lost one player who was 8th in snaps played on the OL. Again, im not sure I agree that meets the level of ravaged.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
We are getting no better results than what the Administration says is acceptable. In a sense, it won’t get any better until they’re on board with wanting different results.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
There’s a basic level a school recruits at, but some coaches recruit substantially better than others. Mack Brown out recruits other head coaches at UNC, and he had better classes at Texas than other Texas head coaches.
TA&M is definitely using the NIL money machine like no one else, but even without it, Jimbo Fisher is a better recruiter than most of his peers.
Recruiting skills aren’t everything, but they are definitely not not “nothing”
Maybe what I said came off as recruiting means nothing, but that's certainly not what I meant. I just mean that people often give someone's recruiting prowess much more importance than it's really worth.

I think it those who have a reputation as excellent recruiters (like your example Mack Brown) can be the tipping point that makes a borderline factory school into a top recruiting place (like UNC or Clemson before their dominant run). For a place like Tech, that slight advantage you get from a "top recruiter" is very little in the grand scheme of things if that is the only thing you're good at.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

idk i think we just have a fanbase that has soured themselves out on recruiting and act like we should just ignore it even though it is basically the only path to relevance in college football
Dude Geoff is supposed to be some recruiting genius and look what he's done. Since they implemented stricter grade recruitments for all colleges, it's only been harder to recruit here. Have you forgotten flunk gate?

You keep comparing everything to Kirby and UGA, but their program is in a different level. Anybody will eventually have success if they pump that type of money and resources into a program.

I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think we can get it done with the same factory model here. That route is not working and will not work, so the logical thing is to try something else.

JacketFan137

Banned
Dude Geoff is supposed to be some recruiting genius and look what he's done. Since they implemented stricter grade recruitments for all colleges, it's only been harder to recruit here. Have you forgotten flunk gate?

You keep comparing everything to Kirby and UGA, but their program is in a different level. Anybody will eventually have success if they pump that type of money and resources into a program.

I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think we can get it done with the same factory model here. That route is not working and will not work, so the logical thing is to try something else.
if you just want the option and won’t listen to what anyone has to say just say that man lol

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There are other schemes worth discussing other then the bog standard college spread we've run recently but man you guys love to turn everything into a conversation about the option. Just because it lives in y'alls heads rent free doesn't mean it does for the rest of us.

Totally. It's a pure coincidence that when describing these other mythical offenses they just so happen to use the exact language used for a decade to defend the option when here.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want the option. I want bagmen and an admin willing to let the staff do what it takes to keep some of the studs from Atlanta here. No reason a Cam Newton type had to go 5 hours away to Gainesville then to Auburn. We should have given him $100,000 his junior year in high school to get him here. Same with all the DLine we watch go everywhere else but stay in the 404. That’s been the game the past 25 years on a wholesale level. Our fans need to wake up and it sounds like NIL has awoken some.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t want the option. I want bagmen and an admin willing to let the staff do what it takes to keep some of the studs from Atlanta here. No reason a Cam Newton type had to go 5 hours away to Gainesville then to Auburn. We should have given him $100,000 his junior year in high school to get him here. Same with all the DLine we watch go everywhere else but stay in the 404. That’s been the game the past 25 years on a wholesale level. Our fans need to wake up and it sounds like NIL has awoken some.
Nope. Don’t want that. Sorry.