Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
sounds like you didn't have the option to choose a preferred manufacturer. I'm hoping to have that option when i get around to this
Doubtful. I don’t know of any sites that have multiple vaccines. You may get to choose your site but that’s probably it.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
We require vaccines for lots of things today (like attending K12 schools, college, some travel, etc.), so the notion of doing it for something that we just are turning the corner on that was a global pandemic isn't unreasonable. I just don't see how they can institute something like this in the next year, and by then it won't matter. We don't have FDA approval, and a third of the country isn't eligible. By the time the FDA approves something formally, probably 75% of the country that is eligible for the vaccine will have already had it anyway. And if that's the case, the number of cases and hospitalizations will be down probably below the flu level. I guess we will see, a lot of speculation on my part.
We will be on to the next round of boosters more than likely.

Deleted member 2897

Hospitalizations are up in a couple dozen states - all in the northern half and northeast. The CDC Director is calling on governors to start shutting things back down. At this point you just have to shake your head. I don’t think they’ll ever learn.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hospitalizations are up in a couple dozen states - all in the northern half and northeast. The CDC Director is calling on governors to start shutting things back down. At this point you just have to shake your head. I don’t think they’ll ever learn.
I think the correlation between weather and cases is a LOT stronger than people want to give credit to. Not sure if it's because of behavioral or transmissibility changes but the two seem explicitly linked.

Deleted member 2897

I think the correlation between weather and cases is a LOT stronger than people want to give credit to. Not sure if it's because of behavioral or transmissibility changes but the two seem explicitly linked.

Since the beginning, we appear to be linked to Europe's trends to some degree, but about 3-4 weeks behind (which could be related to weather trends or travel or variants). And when we see trends up and down, they vary by state, but with only a few true outliers they also trend in the same general directions. Weather and variants seem to have a high correlation to transmission. Which is what makes this stuff so silly. Its about behavior - keeping your distance, wearing a mask, and practicing good hygiene. Shutdowns haven't been shown to make any material difference in case numbers - all it does is ruin people's lives and ruin companies. I don't know why when the CDC folks get concerned they don't just stress behavior, behavior, behavior. Its that simple. Their first reaction shouldn't be to pound people into the ground with a sledgehammer.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Since the beginning, we appear to be linked to Europe's trends to some degree, but about 3-4 weeks behind (which could be related to weather trends or travel or variants). And when we see trends up and down, they vary by state, but with only a few true outliers they also trend in the same general directions. Weather and variants seem to have a high correlation to transmission. Which is what makes this stuff so silly. Its about behavior - keeping your distance, wearing a mask, and practicing good hygiene. Shutdowns haven't been shown to make any material difference in case numbers - all it does is ruin people's lives and ruin companies. I don't know why when the CDC folks get concerned they don't just stress behavior, behavior, behavior. Its that simple. Their first reaction shouldn't be to pound people into the ground with a sledgehammer.
The whole reason for shutdowns is because it is pretty much impossible to convince people to act in a responsible way. Especially when a good portion of the country is groomed to distrust and rebel against anything the government tells them to do. But lets be real, out shutdowns aren't real shutdowns anyways.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
The tricky thing is that many service industry business can't operate within what is the responsible behavior. Dining, bars, music venues, movie theaters, etc. It is almost impossible to do so effectively.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
The whole reason for shutdowns is because it is pretty much impossible to convince people to act in a responsible way. Especially when a good portion of the country is groomed to distrust and rebel against anything the government tells them to do. But lets be real, out shutdowns aren't real shutdowns anyways.
100% ^

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But lets be real, out shutdowns aren't real shutdowns anyways.
This part is quite true.

Like many things in life, some traits are quite helpful at times, but a hinderance at other times. The individualism that Americans exhibit exceeds that of other nationalities, which is quite helpful in entrepreneurial endeavors and warfare, but not so great in getting national cooperation.

Deleted member 2897

That is pretty humorous, but it's a really really poor analogy.

I loved it, for exactly that reason. Its an incredibly incorrect analogy. The vaccine absolutely does work and after taking it, the vast majority of people don't need to wear a mask. (I'd argue if you're really old and frail or have a severely compromised immune system it might be worth being extra safe, even after vaccination.)

But the CDC is telling people you have to still wear a mask after you've been vaccinated, you shouldn't travel, and you shouldn't be around other people. Its not based on actual science, and that message is incredibly damaging to the push to get more people vaccinated.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Let me think, I wonder who said that way back when ND and SD were the first states to get hit really hard? Perhaps I, oops I mean that person even showed the first big cold front overlayed on the map with the level of outbreaks. Something that made it completely obvious. But all you heard was it was only because of the lack of mask mandates.

But in all seriousness the R0 goes up substantially. All the idiots need to do is track the weather and tell people to hunker down during severe cold snaps and also mandate vitamin D and the death rate would have plummeted while we waited on the Vaccine.

GTRoy

Georgia Tech Fan
I loved it, for exactly that reason. Its an incredibly incorrect analogy. The vaccine absolutely does work and after taking it, the vast majority of people don't need to wear a mask. (I'd argue if you're really old and frail or have a severely compromised immune system it might be worth being extra safe, even after vaccination.)

But the CDC is telling people you have to still wear a mask after you've been vaccinated, you shouldn't travel, and you shouldn't be around other people. Its not based on actual science, and that message is incredibly damaging to the push to get more people vaccinated.

I would agree. I know the "post-vaccine mask recommendation" is based on the fact that we're not sure if (and how likely it is for) vaccinated people can spread it.

The others, I think, are a bit too much. People need to see some hope and some personal benefits to get the shot. We have been extremely conservative (more conservative than just about anybody I know) about going out since last March, but we fully intend to take a few trips this Summer and visit friends and family, preferably those who have also gotten the shot. We will still wear our masks in public places, because it literally takes a few seconds to pick it up before leaving the house, but not in a small group setting where all have been vaccinated.

GT_EE78

Banned
I would agree. I know the "post-vaccine mask recommendation" is based on the fact that we're not sure if (and how likely it is for) vaccinated people can spread it.

The others, I think, are a bit too much. People need to see some hope and some personal benefits to get the shot. We have been extremely conservative (more conservative than just about anybody I know) about going out since last March, but we fully intend to take a few trips this Summer and visit friends and family, preferably those who have also gotten the shot. We will still wear our masks in public places, because it literally takes a few seconds to pick it up before leaving the house, but not in a small group setting where all have been vaccinated.
so you want to attach a stigma onto your friends and family if they haven't taken a vaccine?
u gonna ask for the vaccine passport too?

LibertyTurns

Banned
People are not groomed to distrust and rebel against government. Many people innately rebel against stupidity and idiocy, will act to prevent themselves from being harmed, can tell a good deal from a rip-off, etc. Some people are better at figuring out when they’ve been had and are not as gullible as others. I guess it depends on perspective, but a **** sandwich still tastes like **** even if you tell me it’s pork bbq.

Status
Not open for further replies.