Helping Waller Practice

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought I would help Waller practice today and gave him some reps making big receptions.

Waller did make 2 big receptions last year including a big long reception at UNC and another in the ACC Championship above!

Waller, be the player we all need this year!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Maybe if that throw above had hit him in stride it would have been a td. Not only that, but Vad missed seeing a wide open receiver on that very play down the side line.

watch the entire play and pay attention to the wr on the near sideline. Wide f'n open.

(54 second mark)

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe if that throw above had hit him in stride it would have been a td. Not only that, but Vad missed seeing a wide open receiver on that very play down the side line.

watch the entire play and pay attention to the wr on the near sideline. Wide f'n open.

Throw was close enough to in stride. If Waller adjusts and attacks the ball, he has a chance to catch it up high and keep running. There was also a safety over top who would've covered any throw to Bostic. He turned and ran once the throw was going to the middle.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw the same thing. Orwin was running wide open down the side line with no one around him. Field vision... the difference between a 30 yard completion and a TD.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Throw was close enough to in stride. If Waller adjusts and attacks the ball, he has a chance to catch it up high and keep running. There was also a safety over top who would've covered any throw to Bostic. He turned and ran once the throw was going to the middle.

I don't think we're watching the same play. Oh well....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw the same thing. Orwin was running wide open down the side line with no one around him. Field vision... the difference between a 30 yard completion and a TD.

Thanks. I think it was Bostic, #7, however. If you watch closely you'll see the safety reads Vad's eyes and never sees Bostic. Vad locks on Waller and never even glances at Bostic. It would have been the perfect "look off" if he had turned to Bostic at the right time. The dude was so wide open he was lonely.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Btw, if you want to see Washington's, and any GT qb in '13 for that matter, prettiest pass, go to the 1:50 mark. And that was on 3rd and 13 with the D in prevent.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
TW looked good in that clip. He also had the great run for a first down that extended a drive where we ended up getting some points.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Btw, if you want to see Washington's, and any GT qb in '13 for that matter, prettiest pass, go to the 1:50 mark. And that was on 3rd and 13 with the D in prevent.

My vote for prettiest pass was his first one against UVA. That throw neutered them for the rest of the game. It actually had a pretty nice spiral on it too!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Vad has a connection with Waller. I noticed it during the spring game too, he does have a tendency to lock in, which isn't good imo. JT was eating up passing yards throwing to Abacks, maybe it was the defense, but that's something Vad should do more of scan the field and take what the defense is giving.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking off DB's is something that starting NFL QB's don't even do all the time, and great college QB's get praised for doing it a few times a game. I'm guessing Vad was 19 when he threw that pass.

IMHO, passing less often could tend to less polished passing mechanics and bad habits (like locking onto a receiver), but from a productivity standpoint, that should be evened out by how much more open receivers will be on given passing plays.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

Vision of a fan versus vision of a coach: knowing that if your primary receiver is open, you throw the ball to him and don't look to your progressions.

Some fans look at a play in hindsight and act like a QB has 10 - 15 seconds to scan the field and decide which is the more open guy and throw to him. Each play is designed with a progression of receivers...and QB's are taught to throw to the first open guy in that progression...not the MOST open guy in the progression. Because you simply don't have the time to look at all receivers on a play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Vision of a fan versus vision of a coach: knowing that if your primary receiver is open, you throw the ball to him and don't look to your progressions.

Some fans look at a play in hindsight and act like a QB has 10 - 15 seconds to scan the field and decide which is the more open guy and throw to him. Each play is designed with a progression of receivers...and QB's are taught to throw to the first open guy in that progression...not the MOST open guy in the progression. Because you simply don't have the time to look at all receivers on a play.

That's a great explanation, thanks. Still, Waller, though open, was not "wide" open. Furthermore, Vad was under no pressure at the time and had just finished his drop when he decided to throw. Also, if Waller was his primary target, he did a horrible job of looking him off. He locked on him and drew 3 defenders to the throw. A look off probably would have resulted in a td. Heck, even a better throw may have even with 3 defenders on the play.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for doing a better job than I did of explaining. First read is FS which never got depth on the play. I can't quite tell if this was an option route by Waller, but it looks like it. If it was, it was a great job of reading to cut it into a post. Vad just threw it a little flat, but still good enough and Waller will learn to make the adjustment to catch it high though it's tough to find fault in the adjustment he made.