Help needed with copper pin hole leaks...

wreck1

Georgia Tech Fan
So I have some pin hole leaks in 30 year old house in ceiling on first floor (two stories with exposed copper in un finished basement). If I replace copper in that first floor ceiling do I have to completely do entire house for resale value? Can vertical pipes in walls be left? Thanks!

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
No, don't repipe the whole house. Replace the ones that leak with PEX pipes. They make a compression fitting that will go to a copper pipe. Since they will be behind the wall, they will not be visible.

wreck1

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for replying but my thoughts were if I have pin hole leaks now and just fix those how long before new ones appear? If we’re cutting into a stippled ceiling to repair certain sections why not change all that horizontal pipe (was not thinking of vertical wall pipes) because I assume pin holes will keep occurring?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No. Don't listen to anyone recommending using PEX. Worst product on the market in 50 years. I have 30-50 cases a year associated with determining why PEX fittings, PEX lines, PEX crimps have failed and flooded the house. There are multiple class action lawsuits against the various manufacturers of PEX plumbing fixtures.

If you have pinhole leaks in your copper, it can be a number of different issues, depending on whether it's the hot water lines or the cold water lines. Also depends on whether you have soft water or hard water. There is a treatment, depending on what you have going on in your house, that will flush the system and then coat the interior of the pipes to seal against future pinhole leaks. This is a controversial system and I haven't heard it used in 10 years. If at all in doubt, replumb.

Depending on what is causing the pinhole leaks, your vertical lines may be as at risk as your horizontal runs.