Help make new football fans!

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey ya'll, like my forums name suggests, I'm one of the leaders of the IEEE student branch at Tech, and we're hurting for social activities. Simultaneously, there's an unfortunate perception imported from the outside world that we here in ECE and CoC are 'nerds' (not in the GT specific way) and football is the antithesis of a nerd activity. Sadly, people who go to football games are a minority around here, and that needs to change.

To fix both problems, we're going to be putting together a series of tailgates to celebrate the nerdiness of the Tech tradition and football's place in that culture. We're thinking of having a food and video game tournament tailgate and then bringing people together into the student section.

I need ya'lls help connecting football with videogames. We'll have a talk before the tournament final round is announced comparing the metagame in the tournament (Starcraft will most likely be the first) to football strategy. We're working on bringing in some minor celebrities in the video game podcasting world to give it some shine.

Meta-game, for ya'll who don't know, describes the higher strategic levels of a game. For example, rock paper scissors is a good example, where if the opponent does X (like rock) you're most likely to win by doing Y (paper). The 3O has some obvious paralells. They call it meta-game because even if you make the right choice, (say, pitching) you still have to execute well (running like a demon) in the actual game to win.

Swarm has some football minds of much higher caliber than mine. Whether it's football in general, offense, defense, whatever, please help me think about explaining football strategy to folks who love strategy but think they hate football. With a little more than 700 active members in the student branch at the moment, we have a chance here to show a substantial number of students that GT Football is and should be their thing.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
love the idea of making new fans this way. I've got a few friends interested in helping, hopefully they'll comment here so we can keep this going. I know I began to really appreciate the game more when I learned about the meta game and how everything comes together.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hey ya'll, like my forums name suggests, I'm one of the leaders of the IEEE student branch at Tech, and we're hurting for social activities. Simultaneously, there's an unfortunate perception imported from the outside world that we here in ECE and CoC are 'nerds' (not in the GT specific way) and football is the antithesis of a nerd activity. Sadly, people who go to football games are a minority around here, and that needs to change.

To fix both problems, we're going to be putting together a series of tailgates to celebrate the nerdiness of the Tech tradition and football's place in that culture. We're thinking of having a food and video game tournament tailgate and then bringing people together into the student section.

I need ya'lls help connecting football with videogames. We'll have a talk before the tournament final round is announced comparing the metagame in the tournament (Starcraft will most likely be the first) to football strategy. We're working on bringing in some minor celebrities in the video game podcasting world to give it some shine.

Meta-game, for ya'll who don't know, describes the higher strategic levels of a game. For example, rock paper scissors is a good example, where if the opponent does X (like rock) you're most likely to win by doing Y (paper). The 3O has some obvious paralells. They call it meta-game because even if you make the right choice, (say, pitching) you still have to execute well (running like a demon) in the actual game to win.

Swarm has some football minds of much higher caliber than mine. Whether it's football in general, offense, defense, whatever, please help me think about explaining football strategy to folks who love strategy but think they hate football. With a little more than 700 active members in the student branch at the moment, we have a chance here to show a substantial number of students that GT Football is and should be their thing.
Do you need a band for your tailgate?

6a00e553d217f588330133f4ef4ef6970b-pi.png

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a great idea. I'm a big fan of strategy games myself and FWIW I've always thought of football as more turn-based strategy than real time. Good luck.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm a current grad student who would be willing to help in the fall. I've always been disappointed in the overall enthusiasm surrounding GT football, and would welcome an opportunity to remedy the situation. I'm not a big gamer, but I do have some knowledge of a couple Metagames. Let me know how I can help!

I have thought for a long time, but didn't know whom to communicate it with, that since the show is filmed in and around Atlanta and takes place there, Tech should have a "Walking Dead" weekend. Depending on their filming schedule, availability, and willingness, it would be cool to have some of the cast appear at maybe a game. It's the most popular show on cable, so I would think it would draw a helluva lot of interest. I can just see those students on the front rows of the student sections geared out as zombies. It would be a hoot and, I think, would get a lot of publicity. Back in the 50s, Tech got a lot of positive worldwide PR because Marilyn Monroe appeared on Time (or Life) Magazine wearing a Tech sweater. And John Wayne whistled "The Ramblin Wreck Song" in the movie "The High and the Mighty." That's the kind of PR Tech needs today to get back in the forefront of college football interest.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have thought for a long time, but didn't know whom to communicate it with, that since the show is filmed in and around Atlanta and takes place there, Tech should have a "Walking Dead" weekend. Depending on their filming schedule, availability, and willingness, it would be cool to have some of the cast appear at maybe a game. It's the most popular show on cable, so I would think it would draw a helluva lot of interest. I can just see those students on the front rows of the student sections geared out as zombies. It would be a hoot and, I think, would get a lot of publicity. Back in the 50s, Tech got a lot of positive worldwide PR because Marilyn Monroe appeared on Time (or Life) Magazine wearing a Tech sweater. And John Wayne whistled "The Ramblin Wreck Song" in the movie "The High and the Mighty." That's the kind of PR Tech needs today to get back in the forefront of college football interest.
Yeah, because there can't be any downside to associating our football team with the phrase, "The Walking Dead."

Yeah, because there can't be any downside to associating our football team with the phrase, "The Walking Dead."
Oh, give me a break. Tech students and fans too, for that matter, are already called nerds, geeks, and dorks. The show is not about the zombies themselves, but the people who rise above their circumstances to survive and prevail. THAT is what Tech does and has always done.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

Check your Inbox.