"Hear", maybe this will help ;)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The only chance I see is we have nothing to lose. Clemson may have too much pressure and play tight. Or they may be looking ahead to A&M.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Getting fired up about toe meeting leather next Thursday, but somebody please tell me we have a chance.

How can we win?
Now, look. I don't think we will win, because it is too much vs. too little. But until the last couple of years we always played Clemson tough and Johnson, I think, was 5-5 vs. Dabo. (And no, that is not a Johnson push. Just a frame of reference.) We can play them tough again and a mistake here and there .... I always have hope.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It'll be REAL tough.They avgd 44 pts per game last yr.They return 8 starters as NT champs.We return 6 with limited DL. But the real balloon in score might come from our Off TOs.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It'll be REAL tough.They avgd 44 pts per game last yr.They return 8 starters as NT champs.We return 6 with limited DL. But the real balloon in score might come from our Off TOs.

It felt like to me the last few years that Dabo was not play calling to run the score up against GT. I think once he kind of knew his talent was superior and would win, he almost "called off the wolves" to some degree. Again, that is a perception, and it might be completely wrong. I will say that I think Dabo respected CPJ.

It will be interesting to see IF Clem's Son can pummel us on the scoreboard, will they? Could this be an opportunity to show the new head coach that he has entered the realm of "big boy" football now? Again, holding out hope our guys can compete, but I am very concerned with both lines of scrimmage.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
As a former coach used to tell when I asked if I had a chance of becoming a starter. " You actually have TWO chances............slim and none ".
IMO, will keep it fairly close for a half, but TALENT will win out 38-10 Clempsun.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, will keep it fairly close for a half, but TALENT will win out 38-10 Clempsun.

Honestly, all I'm hoping to see is that we keep it close for a half. Clemson's pace and talent will take over in the second half but I'd like to at least play them tough for two quarters. Especially in their house.

Seems like the last two times we went up there we would have been better starting every drive 3rd and 10.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It felt like to me the last few years that Dabo was not play calling to run the score up against GT. I think once he kind of knew his talent was superior and would win, he almost "called off the wolves" to some degree. Again, that is a perception, and it might be completely wrong. I will say that I think Dabo respected CPJ.

It will be interesting to see IF Clem's Son can pummel us on the scoreboard, will they? Could this be an opportunity to show the new head coach that he has entered the realm of "big boy" football now? Again, holding out hope our guys can compete, but I am very concerned with both lines of scrimmage.
I have followed Clemson off and on because I came to respect Swinney for the culture he has instilled and the honesty of his program, together with what has to be the most joyous approach to football I have ever seen. I have never seen him run up a score, and he is always running his 2s and sometimes his 3s into the game sometime in the first quarter, even against Alabama. (Alabama claims the schedule beat them down? Clemson beat them down, sending replacements in by the swarm while Alabama stayed with its starters as much as they could. 'Bama had no bench.) While he does respect Johnson -- who as I recall befriended him at his first ACC coach's conference -- he respects the game even more. Now, when they play South Carolina, all bets are off. Those boys in Columbia don't know when to stop running their mouths.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

As much I hope we can keep this one close, if Dabo has a chance to send a message — not just to us but to everyone else — he will.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As much I hope we can keep this one close, if Dabo has a chance to send a message — not just to us but to everyone else — he will.
If it is that much of a beatdown, and I hope not, that would be his chance to get his No. 2 and No. 3 QBs playing time, mainly No. 3, because Brice has proved he can play. That, and some highly rated recruits at WR and D line. I thought he had a great chance to pour it on Alabama in the 4th quarter of the NC game and open it to a 5 TD win, but instead he stayed with a very conservative, inside the tackles running game and still almost scored in spite of himself. But Alabama quit, so there is that.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

You nailed it.Dabo was a friend of PJ and kept it down.I can't see that happening again probably..

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You nailed it.Dabo was a friend of PJ and kept it down.I can't see that happening again probably..
Well, no. A romantic thought but no. Swinney has no history of running it up against anybody, friend or foe, and really counts only a couple of ACC coaches as friends. as opposed to those he is friendly with. One is the guy from Syracuse, Babers, who pasted him last year and almost the year before. He won't run it up but if his twos and threes can't be stopped by Tech, then that is on us.

slugboy

Staff member
Well, no. A romantic thought but no. Swinney has no history of running it up against anybody, friend or foe, and really counts only a couple of ACC coaches as friends. as opposed to those he is friendly with. One is the guy from Syracuse, Babers, who pasted him last year and almost the year before. He won't run it up but if his twos and threes can't be stopped by Tech, then that is on us.

I think you mixed up the years. Clemson went 15-0 last year, and beat Syracuse by 4. They went 12-2 the year before, and lost to Syracuse by 3. The year before that, they had one loss by one point to Pitt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk